Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2018, 06:44 AM

20,722 posts, read 16,415,453 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlightAttendant View Post
I loathe Winter....and snow. I live in PA, so of course we get snow. I think of high heating bills, slip and fall, shoveling, dreary days, ice, etc.

It is April, I think it is not unusual for us to want Spring, not another forecast for another snow fall.
I currently shovel my own driveway but I'll certainly start paying to have it done as I get older - especially for heavier snows. I have a garage so my car stays clear of snow. The streets do get completely cleared within a day or so, eventually even my cul de sac. Slipping and falling I guess I'll try to limit by only getting out if I have to when it is icy and wearing cleats on my shoes.

As for the dreariness - I hate it! But mostly because working in an office I never get to see the sun even when it does shine and I leave home in the dark and get home in the dark. When retired I can sit in front of my big south-facing windows all day long and see every bit of sun we do get - I know that will make a huge difference! And I love getting outside on sunny but cold days - the cold doesn't stop me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2018, 06:45 AM

1,591 posts, read 1,192,873 times
There are two camps of people: those that think that snowflakes are tiny shards of death, and those that think they mix well with cocoa.

The twain shall never meet.

Old 04-05-2018, 06:48 AM

5,296 posts, read 5,248,976 times
Snow is a wasted day. I love to garden, to play outside, to jump in a pool. Every day I cant do that is a wasted day. And who has time to waste?

Old 04-05-2018, 06:50 AM

6,311 posts, read 4,215,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carnivalday View Post
Snow is a wasted day. I love to garden, to play outside, to jump in a pool. Every day I cant do that is a wasted day. And who has time to waste?

Oh no, no day is a wasted day , it’s precious to me.

Old 04-05-2018, 06:54 AM

27,798 posts, read 32,504,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carnivalday View Post
If I lived in snow country again, I'd read a lot of books, do indoor fitness stuff, probably watch a lot of TV, movies, do other stuff (learn the guitar?). I'd probably still ski as I did in my 20's-30's if that was available in the area. But agree, I get more out of my days when the temps are well above freezing.

Old 04-05-2018, 06:54 AM

35,131 posts, read 31,403,664 times
I have never liked snow.

I live in Tennessee. We typically don't get all that much snow, but if we get more than a couple of inches, the town basically shuts down. People run on the grocery stores. If the power goes out, it can be out for quite some time. You can lose the contents of your fridge/freezer. If you're in a rural area, good luck with getting your roads plowed.

I've never seen things go to pieces on a 90 degree day like they do with three inches of snow.

Old 04-05-2018, 07:14 AM

6,219 posts, read 5,954,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cebuan View Post
What's the big deal about retirement in the snow?
... asks someone from the snowy Philippines.

Not everyone has the luxury of sitting indoors until the snow goes away
Around here, ice can last for weeks - and is present even if the snow is removed
Black ice isn't visible to the eye and can result in a fall or auto accident
A deep freeze with very cold conditions often follows a snow event in northern Illinois
At a certain age, it's difficult to get and stay warm - especially if you're on meds

Old 04-05-2018, 07:22 AM

18,737 posts, read 33,440,740 times
I am glad to be retired most of this winter. It's my last winter where it's gray and the snow is wet and heavy. I hear that the snow where I'm going is powdery and easier to dispense with. I like the cold, like changing temps for moods. Colorado is said to be largely sunny despite the cold. I don't think the temps will affect me the way humidity does.

I like it between 20-60F, sunny and dry. I think I'll do fine. If there's unusual snow, I'm sure I can hire someone.

I didn't buy an AWD Subaru for nuthin!

Old 04-05-2018, 07:23 AM

10,930 posts, read 11,743,311 times
The trouble with snow...not enough of it!

Old 04-05-2018, 07:36 AM

5,457 posts, read 4,073,411 times
I don't work but I volunteer 3 shifts a week. I have had to miss 2 or three this winter due to weather.

This is my first full winter up north since I started "snowbirding" over 30 years ago. It's not as bad as I thought. My heat is provided in the rent, the parking area is plowed. I have to shovel around my car and my walkway but I look at it as exercise.

It was my late husband who couldn't stand the snow. After his stroke he did not do well walking on uneven ground.

I always felt ungrounded living in two places. I'm glad I settled in one place. I do miss my snowbird friends down south though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement