Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2018, 10:22 AM

371 posts, read 287,958 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
You're on a retirement message board. Of course it's going to be weighted towards the small minority who have those things. The vast majority of people at age 60 to 64 have no pension, no medical/dental/vision benefits the minute they stop working, and very little accumulated wealth. You think they're going to be hanging out on retirement message boards reminding themselves of how screwed they are the minute they can no longer work?
I was responding to another posters words, specifically. Yes this is the retirement forum hence my choosing it and my question and reading a little about their background first. Perfect group to inquire upon. My concern is not ages 60-64 since I'll still be working and have medical covered thru my current employer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2018, 10:40 AM

997 posts, read 710,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ItIsWritten. View Post
Alright I'll correct you again. You're welcome and you're welcome
12 out of the 26 people so far who responded have extra benefits/perks somehow.

Former job, former military, etc... That's about 37-40% or so of those who responded thus far. That is a good amt.

No one said any poster here would have "all the free medical, dental, eye care, you listed" that makes no sense.

Those who posted having any benefits/perks... least 50% have more benefits/perks what I listed. Greater value

Again, with what I listed, if I take a chance going without a supplement, that is ALL I'll have for 5 yrs

Hence the thread to get some ideas to substitute paying for a supplement. Maybe I'll keep working p/t to 70 yrs

to keep a level of benefits that can fill in somewhat the gaps a supplement would
With all due respect, I think what some people are reacting to is that at least you have some level of healthcare benefits; but you are looking for ideas to get more benefits to tide you through age 70.5. Many people here have a starting point of no benefits at all. You are indeed fortunate to have great benefits, even without a supplement in your future.
There are many threads here where the disparities in circumstances are glaringly apparent among Retirees--like those who can afford a second home, or to snowbird, or who have extra checks they don't know what to do with. Its hard not to feel like you failed when you read about the comfortable retirements many enjoy. But, fact is, many of us did not have a job(s) that offered a pension so we must live with our choices.

Its the haves and the have nots on this Retirement forum--those with retirement pensions and benefits; and those without. As with any public forum there are people considered wealthy here and those who are struggling. I personally consider a person "wealthy" if they are healthy and mobile in their retirement years. Money can't buy health.
I hope you receive the information you are looking for.

Old 04-10-2018, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BabyJuly View Post
With all due respect, I think what some people are reacting to is that at least you have some level of healthcare benefits; but you are looking for ideas to get more benefits to tide you through age 70.5.
You are referring to on single individual who felt my listing the benefits I'll receive from my employer is 'bragging" though it is within the 35-40% of individuals here and within that 35-40%, many receive a much higher level of benefits. Also mentioned living on 2K for 5 yrs between ages 65-70 so that is certainly on the poorer side. But it makes no difference. People here have been quite civil and nice to respond with their own experiences which I appreciate

Quote:
Many people here have a starting point of no benefits at all. You are indeed fortunate to have great benefits, even without a supplement in your future.
Yes it appears about 65-70% here have no additional benefits. I feel fortunate, yes. But part of working this lower paying job is the perks of those benefits in lew of compensation

Quote:
There are many threads here where the disparities in circumstances are glaringly apparent among Retirees--like those who can afford a second home, or to snowbird, or who have extra checks they don't know what to do with. Its hard not to feel like you failed when you read about the comfortable retirements many enjoy. But, fact is, many of us did not have a job(s) that offered a pension so we must live with our choices.
Yes and that's perfectly fine. I like the diversity, it is of great benefit to everyone imho

Quote:
Its the haves and the have nots on this Retirement forum--those with retirement pensions and benefits; and those without. As with any public forum there are people considered wealthy here and those who are struggling. I personally consider a person "wealthy" if they are healthy and mobile in their retirement years. Money can't buy health.
I hope you receive the information you are looking for.
Yes, it's life. I am looking for solutions from the poor to the rich, of how they somehow (outside of a medicare supplement) filled in the gaps.

Old 04-10-2018, 11:47 AM

14,229 posts, read 30,034,466 times
Quote:
Alright I'll correct you again. You're welcome and you're welcome
12 out of the 26 people so far who responded have extra benefits/perks somehow.

Former job, former military, etc... That's about 37-40% or so of those who responded thus far. That is a good amt.

No one said any poster here would have "all the free medical, dental, eye care, you listed" that makes no sense.

Those who posted having any benefits/perks... least 50% have more benefits/perks what I listed. Greater value

Again, with what I listed, if I take a chance going without a supplement, that is ALL I'll have for 5 yrs

Hence the thread to get some ideas to substitute paying for a supplement. Maybe I'll keep working p/t to 70 yrs

to keep a level of benefits that can fill in somewhat the gaps a supplement would
Just to keep the tally straight, I have zip/nada!

Old 04-10-2018, 12:49 PM

3,217 posts, read 2,432,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky4 View Post
I stayed on employers plan after retirement but we must pay the entire premium. Cost 1227 per month for medical dental and vision for my husband and me. This was cheaper than obamacare as we would get no subsidy. That is with 5000 deductible each with 12900 out of pocket max for family. With both having surgeries this year, we are going to hit the max!!!! Yikes! Hoping that we are healthy from here on out until we are on medicare in six years.
We are currently on employers retirement plan at $1300/mo. I do not know deductibles since they never sent us reenrollment information but the plan seems pretty good so far. There are no deductibles for generics. When my husband retired we had COBRA for 18 months then switched to retirement medical but it was a constant screw up as was Cobra. We have been on their retirement since January where they have another firm running the program (the company is self insured but claims are submitted to Blue Cross and Caremark). So far we have not had any issues like we had prior so I guess I'm liking it. On the exchange we would have paid at least $1600/mo for a very high deductible plan and I believe, though am unsure, that this plan has a much lower deductible. I guess I could call and ask, but so far we only go to the doctors for our annuals. While it is a blessing to have a retirement plan lower than the exchange, it is still not what we had anticipated paying a few years ago before Obamacare. At that time it was estimated to be half the amount we pay. Oh well, dh goes on Medicare next year, I have a year and a half.

Old 04-10-2018, 12:59 PM

10,075 posts, read 7,542,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthofHere View Post
We are currently on employers retirement plan at $1300/mo. I do not know deductibles since they never sent us reenrollment information but the plan seems pretty good so far. There are no deductibles for generics. When my husband retired we had COBRA for 18 months then switched to retirement medical but it was a constant screw up as was Cobra. We have been on their retirement since January where they have another firm running the program (the company is self insured but claims are submitted to Blue Cross and Caremark). So far we have not had any issues like we had prior so I guess I'm liking it. On the exchange we would have paid at least $1600/mo for a very high deductible plan and I believe, though am unsure, that this plan has a much lower deductible. I guess I could call and ask, but so far we only go to the doctors for our annuals. While it is a blessing to have a retirement plan lower than the exchange, it is still not what we had anticipated paying a few years ago before Obamacare. At that time it was estimated to be half the amount we pay. Oh well, dh goes on Medicare next year, I have a year and a half.
at that price, it's almost worth it to work 20 hours/week and get insurance?
that or leave the country for medical treatment...

Old 04-10-2018, 01:27 PM

11,558 posts, read 12,054,189 times
Quote:
As posted, I'll probably be without a medicare supplement between ages 65-70 (hence the thread for alternate ideas)
Living on 2k those yrs makes it difficult. Otherwise nothing sinister going on here nor does it appear I have much to rub in eh?
Based on the zip code, some Medicare Advantage plans have zero premiums, zero deductibles, low co-pays, and low cost prescriptions. That can hold you over until you reap all the freebies.

Medicare Plan Finder:
https://www.medicare.gov/find-a-plan...ookieSupport=1

Old 04-10-2018, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
Just to keep the tally straight, I have zip/nada!
lol yes but you're rich

Old 04-10-2018, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katie45 View Post
Based on the zip code, some Medicare Advantage plans have zero premiums, zero deductibles, low co-pays, and low cost prescriptions. That can hold you over until you reap all the freebies.

Medicare Plan Finder:
https://www.medicare.gov/find-a-plan...ookieSupport=1
thank you for this.
what zip code did you base it on? I just clicked I didn't have any medicare plan yet, do not get extra help, take no drugs and all that comes up is one original medicare plan at $134 a mo plus various drug plans.

We live far outside of any hmo. Kaiser is the closest in Calif and it's 3 hrs away

Freebies kick in at 60 or 62 but planned on working thru age 64.

Last edited by ItIsWritten.; 04-10-2018 at 03:56 PM..

Old 04-10-2018, 02:58 PM

So if we moved to Reno NV, about an hour or less drive, I could pay $3110yr for an HMO w/no deductibles, co-pays and doesn't provide a drug plan

I figured Reno would be cheapest due to the desert. It is the closest area with a huge population

$260 a mo (3110 yr)+ $134=$394 mo each x 2people=$792 a mo.

$2000 combined SS-$792 =1208 mo. leftover

that won't work

HMO's often won't cover anything expensive anyhow. So it's sorta useless insurance unless you physically hurt yourself maybe, like a car accident.

If it was a medicare + medigap, then I'd have faith.

If there is still Christian Healthcare Sharing Ministry around, which costs almost $60 a mo currently, I'll just stick with them as my last resort. We planned on having supplements plus the healthcare sharing ministry when RMD's begin at 70.5 but better sign up earlier. Looks like continuing to work 20-25 hrs a week for benefits is the most desirable solution.

I just reduced my 44 hrs weekly (plus 3 hrs round trip drive once a week) to 20 hrs per mo which is likely closer to 25 hrs wk. Planning on working with my husbands business part of the week also.

Last edited by ItIsWritten.; 04-10-2018 at 03:29 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement