Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-03-2018, 01:27 PM

8,238 posts, read 6,602,904 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohio_peasant View Post

How many New Yorkers have a hectic schedule crammed with museums, concerts and the like? Probably very few. And probably the vast majority of visitors to the various cultural institutions are tourists, not locals.

To me, the appeal of a major city, is not specifically in its cultural offerings, but in the privilege of living among people who care for those cultural offerings. Its the rapport possible with one's fellow city-dwellers, and by no means any sizeable amount of them, but one's particular circle. Forming and sustaining such a circle is, I think, much harder in the smaller cities and towns.
Lots of New York City residents have annual season tickets to the New York Philharmonic Orchestra or just regularly attend, regularly attend Jazz at Lincoln Center concerts, regularly attend the Metropolitan Opera and the ballet, attend concerts and theater in Central Park, go to jazz clubs, attend special art exhibitions at the Metropolitan Museum of Art and special exhibitions at many other art museums in NYC, attend special exhibits (and take their kids) to special exhibits and regular fare at the major museums (that are not art), attend concerts at various venues of famous musicians, bands, singers that appear in NYC, see many plays in the theater venues.

You saying "How many New Yorkers have a hectic schedule crammed with museums, concerts and the like? Probably very few." is not accurate in that many NYC dwellers do partake in many of the cultural offerings regularly and often

Last edited by matisse12; 05-03-2018 at 01:36 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2018, 01:29 PM

17,384 posts, read 11,364,681 times
I'm not sure where some are going with this but the only point I was trying to make is that every state in this country is "Christian" as most people in every state identify themselves as such. Whether or not they want to attend church is their own personal matter.
Some people falsely seem to believe that only Southern states as the ones mentioned are Christian. They are Evangelical which is another flavor of Protestant Christianity. They don't make up the majority of Christians in this country.

Old 05-03-2018, 03:19 PM

11,663 posts, read 12,763,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matisse12 View Post
Lots of New York City residents have annual season tickets to the New York Philharmonic Orchestra or just regularly attend, regularly attend Jazz at Lincoln Center concerts, regularly attend the Metropolitan Opera and the ballet, attend concerts and theater in Central Park, go to jazz clubs, attend special art exhibitions at the Metropolitan Museum of Art and special exhibitions at many other art museums in NYC, attend special exhibits (and take their kids) to special exhibits and regular fare at the major museums (that are not art), attend concerts at various venues of famous musicians, bands, singers that appear in NYC, see many plays in the theater venues.

You saying "How many New Yorkers have a hectic schedule crammed with museums, concerts and the like? Probably very few." is not accurate in that many NYC dwellers do partake in many of the cultural offerings regularly and often
Yeah, we do partake in many of them daily and we do have subscriptions to various performing arts organizations. Others are free through the various library systems or the parks or museums or galleries. And the performers are usually major names. You can just walk from one to another. We don't spend $$$ for a single Broadway show unless it's a special occasion. That's for tourists.

Old 05-03-2018, 04:21 PM

8,290 posts, read 8,701,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matisse12 View Post

If the Philharmonic sell out their season what percentage is that of the NY metro area? I think it would be well under 1%. The same with the Metropolitan Opera and all Lincoln Center concerts combined.

As a percentage of population few attend what you listed.

Old 05-03-2018, 05:47 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,720,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs.cool View Post
“You know when you’re being ignored. You know when you’re being looked down on,†says journalist Sarah Kendzior, who grew up in Connecticut, but now lives in Missouri. Kendzior’s 2013 essay “The View From Flyover Country†details how easily outsiders overlook the nuances of the middle of the country. “It’s just ignored as a region unless it’s politically convenient. Unless something happens like a mass protest or a presidential primary, reporters don’t pay attention to it,†she says.

^^This is from that article, and IS the definition of fly over country. It's the part of the country all the sophisticated people flying from coast to coast "look down on" as they "flyover" it. And yes, I do mean the double meanings on those words.
To imagine we even think about it and judge it is a terrible misunderstanding. Firstly, so few people even fly coast to coast...what % of the population do you think flies that way twice a year or more?

Secondly, educated people know about the various areas of the country - and have probably visited many of them. Iowa was always known for corn and farming, Nevada for gambling and mining, Dakota...well, hardly anyone lives there.

Most of the air routes do not pass over AR and places like that....unless one is flying from Atlanta or Charlotte.

I don't get it - at all. Why would these people have some sort of inferiority complex where they imagine others from far away "think about them and look down on them"? I don't know them. I assume each of them are individuals.

I think they have been convinced by propaganda and their own fears (and sometimes their religions) to be scared of "the other". If that other isn't another race or religion, it's "the other" from one coast or another (where most Americans DO live).

I'd read ALL the books written by escapees and/or lifetime residents of the "forgotten" places like KY, WV, Western VA, etc - and you know what? THOSE PEOPLE (who most often have left) also say it was a horrible situation...where and how they lived.

But Appalachia is one thing and the breadbasket another and the west another.

But, hey, if it makes someone who lives in AR feel better, they can sleep sounding and pretend that folks in Boston, Philly, etc. are "looking down" at them.

Old 05-03-2018, 06:09 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,720,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coney View Post
I'm considering it. Mostly for family and economic reasons.

For years, I took advantage of the cultural institutions in NYC only a handful of times per year because of work, family, and crime. Now that the kids are older and NYC has "come back," I take advantage of them a lot more, especially the many, many free events.
There are a lot of areas that have a little of both - small town feel and some larger town culture.

We winter in Sarasota Florida in a nice middle-class neighborhood (real middle class, not upper middle) - and it's a fine place other than the summer heat (we are in New England during the summer!).....

We like culture, eateries, etc. to be around us - not to say we use them, but their presence is an indication of...well, culture Culture is good - mankind has spent thousands of years getting to this place!

I have lived for years in rural TN and WV...it had beauty and it was fine if the life one wanted to lead was farming or isolationist. Some people are cut out that way - they want to raise sheep or something like that.....

BTW, small towns in areas like New England and even many parts of the mid-atlantic are not like those in the areas described above...that is, no one cares if you go to church and what church and people don't usually make racist jokes, etc.

Many small towns in New England have been settled by people leaving NJ, NY, Philly, etc.....a typical scenario is they go to college in Boston or elsewhere in New England and then decide it's a nice place to live.

What I haven't seen mentioned is proximity to water. Most of mankind...for most of history...has lived in this way. I don't think we could ever live more than 2 hours from a ocean or large bay. This is one reason why the coasts are so populated...people like water and water sports and the nature involved, etc.

Old 05-03-2018, 06:23 PM

Half of the population of the U.S. lives in just 9 states.

Half of the population does not live in those 9 states.

See map

https://amp.businessinsider.com/imag...b5-750-604.png

http://www.businessinsider.com/half-...-states-2016-6

Old 05-03-2018, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs.cool View Post

“You know when you’re being ignored. You know when you’re being looked down on,” says journalist Sarah Kendzior, who grew up in Connecticut, but now lives in Missouri. Kendzior’s 2013 essay “The View From Flyover Country” details how easily outsiders overlook the nuances of the middle of the country. “It’s just ignored as a region unless it’s politically convenient. Unless something happens like a mass protest or a presidential primary, reporters don’t pay attention to it,” she says.

^^This is from that article, and IS the definition of fly over country. It's the part of the country all the sophisticated people flying from coast to coast "look down on" as they "flyover" it. And yes, I do mean the double meanings on those words.
craigiri, you are taking way too seriously what only two people above said - one in an essay and one City-Data poster. You are extrapolating to multi-millions what only two people said. What two people think is not a measure of what the vast population of the U.S. thinks.

Old 05-03-2018, 06:33 PM

8,514 posts, read 8,871,095 times
OP, if you want under 125k population and more cultural amenities than average, pick a college town. I'd think Mankato MN (100k metro) or Ames Iowa (90k) would be good candidates. Or further explore a town that you have already been to and liked.

Old 05-03-2018, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Crow View Post

OP, if you want under 125k population and more cultural amenities than average, pick a college town. I'd think Mankato MN (100k metro)
Mankato? lord, no. I lived there for three years (due to spouse being a professor at the university), and nothing would ever make me live there!

There are over a dozen university towns in the midwest (and many more!) which immediately come to mind that are great to live in in the midwest. Mankato is not one of them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement