Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2018, 10:34 AM

6,957 posts, read 12,067,332 times

Advertisements

Yep, I had chicken pox at age 10, kinda late in the game. I recall my Mom put calamine lotion all over me to stop me from scratching. So, reading about this vaccine (I already had the old one), I decided to do it.

Got the shot ($170) at Frys pharmacy, a reputable place here in Prescott. That was Monday. I felt a wee bit tired and "out of sorts" for 24 hours. I still ate, slept, gardened, had okay days. My old carpal tunnel decided to re emerge in one wrist, but no other pain. Today it's 48 hours later and I feel fine. So many horror stories about Shingles. So now, I think I am protected. I say go get the shot. Shingles is a horrid illness !!

Old 05-23-2018, 10:47 AM

125 posts, read 85,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZgarden View Post
Yep, I had chicken pox at age 10, kinda late in the game. I recall my Mom put calamine lotion all over me to stop me from scratching. So, reading about this vaccine (I already had the old one), I decided to do it.

Got the shot ($170) at Frys pharmacy, a reputable place here in Prescott. That was Monday. I felt a wee bit tired and "out of sorts" for 24 hours. I still ate, slept, gardened, had okay days. My old carpal tunnel decided to re emerge in one wrist, but no other pain. Today it's 48 hours later and I feel fine. So many horror stories about Shingles. So now, I think I am protected. I say go get the shot. Shingles is a horrid illness !!
We are considering the vaccine, so I appreciate your sharing how the experience went for you!

Old 05-23-2018, 10:55 AM

8,775 posts, read 11,911,869 times
Quote:

I don't know if I ever had chicken pox but do know I had every other childhood malady. Someone told me the other day that there's a test I can have that will tell me but maybe I should do it, 'just in case'. I take it Medicare doesn't cover it or was the $170 your co-pay? I'll have to ask at work. I was also told that I should have a second pneumonia vaccine.

Old 05-23-2018, 11:01 AM

587 posts, read 444,268 times
My husband had the new shingles vaccine on Monday and will have to get the second dose in 2 months. He did not sleep well that night and still felt like he had a fever yesterday so he worked from home. He will be 61 on Sunday. This morning he felt better although his arm is a bit sore, but this will not keep him from getting the next shot.

My father had shingles earlier this year and it was in his eye and incredibly painful. My mom had the shingles vaccine and does not know why my father didn't. When I am old enough I will definitely be getting it.

Old 05-23-2018, 11:06 AM

20,722 posts, read 16,386,025 times
Quote:

That's kind of how I felt - blah and kind of a gut ache, but with considerable pain in my arm for several days. I was most surprised that they didn't remind me to come back for the second shot but they could easily text/email me. I already put it on my calendar just in case they don't.

Also, I hear that it's probably good to have more of a reaction as it means your immune system is strong and thus is reacting to the vaccine.

Old 05-23-2018, 11:10 AM

2,782 posts, read 2,083,686 times
I get my second shot in a few weeks. Just a sore arm at the injection site for maybe 2 days. Still employed and BC/BS covered it as I am 60.

Old 05-23-2018, 11:26 AM

12,858 posts, read 16,880,620 times
$170????????? I'll take my chances.

Old 05-23-2018, 11:27 AM

2,093 posts, read 1,927,437 times
Quote:

Got one today at my physical. Shot one today, shot two in 4 months, and it is almost 100% effective for life. Didn't cost a thing under my insurance. I feel nothing from the shot.

Old 05-23-2018, 11:39 AM

703 posts, read 613,215 times
Thanks everyone for posting. I will be getting the shot later this Summer.

From the title of this thread I was bracing for some kind of horror story, ha ha.

Old 05-23-2018, 11:46 AM

21,382 posts, read 7,952,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbsteel View Post
Got one today at my physical. Shot one today, shot two in 4 months, and it is almost 100% effective for life. Didn't cost a thing under my insurance. I feel nothing from the shot.
How long is the follow-up in the efficacy studies?
Is every one who was in the trial dead?
Is that how they know it's *for life*?

They claim gardasil is for life too. Yet the girls in the trial are only on their 20s-30s now. So how do they know? Crystal balls? Dial Dionne Warwick?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement