Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2018, 06:47 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,408,412 times

Advertisements

To be honest, when someone I'm getting to know starts talking about their "best friend" I just feel edged out of their life. Anyway, at my age, many people have already lost many of their friends.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2018, 09:04 PM

1,774 posts, read 1,195,466 times
PriscillaV -- I agree with you, exactly, on that statement. I agree it is not a term to use when in conversation. I consider it kind of a private/internal term.

Old 06-02-2018, 08:58 AM

2,516 posts, read 1,701,570 times
Have family so need of friends is not necessary. Though I have many, many acquaintances

Old 06-02-2018, 10:47 AM

4,242 posts, read 950,083 times
I reconnected a few years ago with three friends from my childhood. We grew up on the same street, rode our bikes everywhere together, and were in and out of each others' houses all the time. Somehow we found different sets of friends in junior high and high school, and then didn't see each other for over 40 years, as some of us moved away from our hometown. Now we're all back in the area, and one of us got us together for a reunion two years ago. It has surprised me how happy and grateful I am to get to know these friends again - and to discover that they are just as great as adults as they were as kids. We now meet for dinner, movies, concerts, and walks at least every couple of weeks and stay in touch via group text. There is something reassuring and comforting about having friends who have known and loved me since childhood. I feel very blessed.

Old 06-02-2018, 11:45 AM

6,783 posts, read 5,506,424 times
I/we have 3 best friends, all found in adulthood, one for 19 years, one for 17 years one for 10 years.

The 10 year best friend I talk to daily as they moved away, but are only an hour away, see them in person when they are in town.

The 19 and 17 year ones are a couple. The 19 year one actually married us for our wedding ceremony. We see them at minimum every holiday as we have standing invitations. Then if nothing else and we don't see them other times, we talk at least once a month. We go to the opera with them too. They have the grandkids we call our great nephews, and their adopted son is our adopted nephew as he considers us family, not just friends.

I guess I'd best not say how i/we met any of them. Best to let sleeping dogs lie.

Old 06-02-2018, 12:07 PM

4,618 posts, read 3,319,473 times
My best friend is my cousin - but we live miles and miles away from each other, so it's a telephone relationship now. We can pick up where we left off anytime we talk, which isn't very often.

At my advanced age best friends are few and far between. Some have died, most never were "best" anyway, and I find it's hard to make friends when you're older. Everyone, including me, is more picky about their friends and no one really is into "hanging out" at our age.

I do like to try and reconnect with the friends I've left behind because of moving, but we all rearrange our lives and the things that tied us together aren't there anymore. If I were left on my own I expect I would make more of an effort to join things and perhaps meet people that way; that hasn't been a necessity yet. But that's my long-term plan.

Old 06-02-2018, 12:20 PM

11,181 posts, read 10,551,323 times
I have friends I'd call close and others not-so-close but best friend is not a term I've used or has crossed my mind in decades.

If I had to name one, it would be my spouse of 40+ years. We met on a city bus.

Old 06-02-2018, 12:37 PM

366 posts, read 215,719 times
I have 3 from childhood that I still keep up with. Thats it.

And of course - the one who is my best friend forever.....My future Brother In Law took me out to meet his girlfriends little Sister in Deep East Texas.

On Saturday, 13-Jan-1979, I laid eyes on her for the first time when she was barely 17 years old. I remember everything about the instant I walked in to the living room and saw her sitting in the old chair....her posture, what she had on, her face and the diamonds twinkling in her eyes.....I was gut hooked deep.

Without a doubt Ms. gamboolgal has been and is my best friend. I don't have the vocabulary to express how deep my feelings for her run.
All I know, is that if she calls, I come a running.

Thank God for them Texas Gals.....

Old 06-02-2018, 12:37 PM

6,844 posts, read 3,972,999 times
My current best friend is someone I met at work about 40 years ago. We socialized together and kept in touch all this time. We speak on the phone about once a week.
Some people who had been best friends dropped me when our mutual interests no longer coincided when I relocated after college and when I retired. They had no interest in maintaining communication or a friendship that had been close for years. Live and learn.

Old 06-02-2018, 10:26 PM

204 posts, read 182,216 times
#1 grade school, he reimaged himself old crowd reminded him of who he was so he broke all connections
#2 grade school, was his best man he moved got a southern accent and broke contact
#3 grade school, moved lost contact
#4 grade school, girl next door, moved lost contact
#5 high school, he got married broke contact (old crowd) his wife then children died, not sociable
#6 work, cancer, expired
#7 work, transferred, heart, expired
#8 work, church, retired, still in touch
#8 church, was his best man, still in touch
#9 work, retired, still in touch

So school buddies still growing and changing and paths go in separate directions
Work depending on the job if you're in the trenches together or have people that actually have your six then there is a bond.
church you may actually meet someone who is like minded and you can be accountable to each other.

Everything else is activity or coworker buddies. Not people you would call needing help with a flat tire or bail bond.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement