Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2018, 01:17 PM

12,101 posts, read 17,088,979 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eliza61nyc View Post
why would he be bragging?
That isn't a large sum of cash.
Why is it on the C-D if you say you are a senior living in assisted living and ss and need help then everyone is more than willing to give you advice but if you dare to say you have a modest income and want help then you are "bragging"?

Jeez, not everyone is dirt poor.

Edited: I live in a high cost of living area. 6K a month is squarly in middle class-ville.

op, sign up at early-retirement.org. lots of helpful advice there and no one will castrate you because you are have a modest income.
Based upon the numbers the OP gave, that's roughly $110,000 a year ... in retirement that he will be living on when you combine the pension, 401K, and SS. Maybe more, depending on SSI.

That's more than most working people in the NYC area make at their peak ... ever. Probably more than 80-90% of people will ever make at their peak.

And yes, I live here too. Astoria, Jersey City, north Jersey, Long Island. You name it. I know all the areas.

[mod cut -personal attack]

Last edited by VTsnowbird; 06-13-2018 at 04:24 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2018, 01:18 PM

10,352 posts, read 7,982,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeJude View Post
In your opinion, will this be enough?
The big unknown is health care - both in terms of what policies will be available to you (possibly none, if the mandate requiring coverage of pre-existing conditions is repealed, which Trump would like to do) and what they will cost. Right now we can't answer those questions. Fortunately you don't need an answer until around age 58 or so when you can start planning in earnest.

Last edited by Aredhel; 06-12-2018 at 01:33 PM..

Old 06-12-2018, 01:37 PM

10,352 posts, read 7,982,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobaba View Post
That says more about you than it does about the OP. You're young enough that you've not yet had to give much thought to what retiring before age 65 (when Medicare eligibility begins) actually requires in terms of financial resources. Even people with a million or two in the bank could be wiped out financially if they are unfortunate enough to retire early without rock-solid medical coverage.

Last edited by VTsnowbird; 06-13-2018 at 04:26 AM..

Old 06-12-2018, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eliza61nyc View Post
Well...

It's like saying you earn $110,000 a year and ask if that is enough to live on if you are 35 years old (and single, no wife) in the Work and Employment forum.

You're going to get the same blowback because there are people who live on way less, obviously.

Just be more specific with your questions.

Saying "Can I make it?" is a little disrespectful in my mind.

But you're obviously not one whose opinion is going to be swayed, so I'll just say ... that's just my opinion (and the other posters').

Last edited by VTsnowbird; 06-13-2018 at 04:26 AM..

Old 06-12-2018, 01:53 PM

24,556 posts, read 18,244,243 times
Quote:
Well...

It's like saying you earn $110,000 a year and ask if that is enough to live on if you are 35 years old (and single, no wife) in the Work and Employment forum.

Yep. $72K in pension at age 60 is like having a million+ worth of annuity. Tack on another $500K in tax deferred where you can draw $20K pretty safely. Then probably some Social Security. Paid-for house of some unknown value. You're up in the 90th+ percentile of retirees somewhere.

Old 06-12-2018, 01:54 PM

2,336 posts, read 2,565,748 times
It's pretty sad when people can't just give useful information, but feel compelled to opine on politics and one's personal situation. Seems like there's some resentment toward the OP for being successful and planning ahead. If you can't contribute to the discussion, just move along.

Old 06-12-2018, 01:57 PM

2,516 posts, read 1,695,368 times
It should be more than enough unless you fall in love or develop a bad habit of sorts

Old 06-12-2018, 02:04 PM

5,717 posts, read 18,917,103 times
I know somebody that's doing it on $1200. a month income. And they travel as well. Just depends on how you want to travel. They go by car. Doesn't take much gas at 30 mpg to go anywhere and they drive a 2017 car. They don't eat steak every day and the wife isn't covered in diamonds. They live in a 1400 sq ft house that they completely remodeled themselves on that same $1200.00. The house is paid for. Your 6 grand would be like hitting the lottery to most folks on Social Security. Is 6 grand enough? For most folks, it would be an improvement in their life style.

Old 06-12-2018, 02:11 PM

3,677 posts, read 2,559,846 times
Quote:
Well...

You're going to get the same blowback because there are people who live on way less, obviously.

Just be more specific with your questions.

Saying "Can I make it?" is a little disrespectful in my mind.

But you're obviously not one whose opinion is going to be swayed, so I'll just say ... that's just my opinion (and the other posters').
But why? If he said he was on public assistance you would have all kinds of advice.
You are right though, I hope I never get to the point where saying Im successful is considered disrespectful. LOL

Only here is having a good life consider bad!!

Old 06-12-2018, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aredhel View Post
That says more about you than it does about the OP. You're young enough that you've not yet had to give much thought to what retiring before age 65 (when Medicare eligibility begins) actually requires in terms of financial resources. Even people with a million or two in the bank could be wiped out financially if they are unfortunate enough to retire early without rock-solid medical coverage.
Perhaps I shouldn't have said I thought he was a troll.

But that was just my honest first thought.

Keep in mind, I just came from the thread where people were talking about making it on SSI alone.

In any case, it wasn't my intention to argue with anybody or get (or make anybody) nasty and I will step away from the thread. I apologize to OP.

And my opinion is ... yes, it's enough.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement