Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2018, 06:52 PM

10,358 posts, read 7,988,269 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeJude View Post
Anyway, I humbly apologize for any wrong doing here, or making anyone feel bad. Over the years in life I have heard horror stories of people losing millions on health care in particular, but you just never know and I thought it wouldn't hurt to ask. So again apologies to those I offended and thank you to the rest of the replies.
Don’t apologize, you’ve done nothing wrong. Just understand that any serious planning will have to wait until you’re much closer to 60. Right now we have no idea what the health insurance situation will be eight years from now, and that is a crucial piece of information for any intelligent planning. You also need to check and see if your state taxes pensions and/or Social Security, as that’s also something that varies widely depending on where you choose to live in retirement.

One thing is certain: you don’t want to quit a good job prematurely in the belief that you can always get another one, not in this era of age discrimination. That can be an unfixable mistake.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2018, 07:22 PM

17,216 posts, read 57,078,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aredhel View Post
Don’t apologize, you’ve done nothing wrong. Just understand that any serious planning will have to wait until you’re much closer to 60. Right now we have no idea what the health insurance situation will be eight years from now, and that is a crucial piece of information for any intelligent planning. You also need to check and see if your state taxes pensions and/or Social Security, as that’s also something that varies widely depending on where you choose to live in retirement.

One thing is certain: you don’t want to quit a good job prematurely in the belief that you can always get another one, not in this era of age discrimination. That can be an unfixable mistake.

That is a good point. Really, much past 40, it can be damn hard to get another "full scale" job if you quit one. This is partly "age-ism" and partly just practicality - why hire a 50 year old who will work probably a maximum of 15 more years, who probably has what an employer might think of as "bad habits", when you can hire a kid, and train them up the way you want them?

Another related comment - it's much easier to get from 1M to 2M on your 401K, than it is to scrape up the first M.

Old 06-12-2018, 07:23 PM

2,737 posts, read 5,456,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
How would you have any idea regarding the bolded?

The OP hasn't mentioned property taxes, average utilities, if there even is a car note, whether he lives in a high COL area. Various insurances could add to that as well.

And no mention of federal and state income taxes, which may total 25% at the margin. On edit--I see that some posters have raised this.

Pensions also can be reduced or COLAs reduced or eliminated in many cases, these days. So it would be important to try to factor in a cushion.

Old 06-12-2018, 07:24 PM

4,852 posts, read 3,647,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retired in Illinois View Post
Are you bragging or complaning with that kinda money in retirement???

Good grief already.
^^^^this

Really...!

Old 06-12-2018, 07:37 PM

48,529 posts, read 34,851,331 times
I really don't get the whole "if you have money you can't ask questions" attitude.

They way you make, keep and maximize is to learn all you can.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 06-12-2018, 08:00 PM

1,781 posts, read 1,207,649 times
Quote:
Anyway, I humbly apologize for any wrong doing here, or making anyone feel bad. Over the years in life I have heard horror stories of people losing millions on health care in particular, but you just never know and I thought it wouldn't hurt to ask. So again apologies to those I offended and thank you to the rest of the replies.

Don't apologize. People here are from all walks of life that's all. That is a very generous pension!

Old 06-12-2018, 08:10 PM

15,251 posts, read 12,964,014 times
Quote:

You've got nothing to apologize for.

According to some of your older posts, you work 6-7 days a week and 80+ hours. You should be well compensated for that.

Thanks for sharing your story.

Old 06-12-2018, 08:59 PM

24,630 posts, read 9,458,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
69k still qualifies you for a low income nyc housing project like the one i was raised in . no way would we have retired here on 70k pre tax .we would have had to leave our kids and grand kids if that was the case and that is something we swore we would only do as a last resort ..
No one smart enjoy to earn a $72,000 pension at 60 (per the OP) is dumb enough to retire in NYC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aredhel View Post
And millions of those people (those who are under age 65) are one medical crisis away from bankruptcy. You can’t ignore the insurance issue! One bad incident between age 60 and age 65 could wipe the OP out if we go back to the way things were prior to passage of the Affordable Care Act. (And as another poster has mentioned, there’s always a chance that Congress could raise the eligibility age for Medicare, making the situation worse.)
This is the case for ANYONE. Should everyone just work until they’re dead? No.

The OP has more than met his threshold for a sufficient retirement. If one can’t live off $72,000 with no debt for the rest of their life, they’ll never be able to retire.

You might be bad at money but I can easily live off $6K a month. I don’t know what type of Ferrari lifestyle you think you need in retirement. And cheap sufficient healthcare can be found in any number of countries that cater to ex-pay retirees.

Even inflation won’t screw the OP as he will live below his means and take the disposable income and invest it for interest or even rent out his house. It’s fool proof, not even a medical emergency could mess up a retirement like that.

Last edited by Rocko20; 06-12-2018 at 09:25 PM..

Old 06-12-2018, 09:17 PM

3,677 posts, read 2,561,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
No one smart enjoy to earn a $72,000 pension at 60 (per the OP) is dumb enough to retire in NYC

The OP has more than met his threshold for a sufficient retirement. If one can’t live off $72,000 with no debt for the rest of their life, they’re an idiot and don’t deserve such a pension.

The average American doesn’t even make that working full time, let a lone in retirement.

You might be bad at money but I can easily live off $6K a month. I don’t know what type of Ferrari lifestyle you think you need in retirement.
Lol a dumb statement has found a friend.

Old 06-12-2018, 09:23 PM

75 posts, read 55,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
[mod cut -personal attack]

Quote:
Maybe. It might be required to exist in NYC to be around family. What's it to you?

T

Last edited by VTsnowbird; 06-13-2018 at 04:31 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement