Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-17-2018, 01:29 PM

1 posts, read 662 times

Advertisements

My dad will be retiring early this year after 40 years in a stressful office job. The primary reason for retiring early is for him to spend more time with his parents who are both over 100 and are struggling to look after themselves. I don’t think his financial situation at the moment will allow him a luxury retirement, but is enough for them to continue living as they are now. I want to write him and my mum a cheque for around £5,000 so that they can go on a big holiday and spend some time not worrying about everything. I don’t want to book a holiday for them because I want them to be able to choose where and when they want to go, hence the cash.

I’m in my early 20s and financially independent, but have never given my parents any kind of cash gift before. Essentially I’m not sure of the etiquette around retirement gifts, and I don’t want my parents to feel in any way embarrassed or guilty to receive this gift.

Would love some opinions on whether this is an appropriate gift.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2018, 01:37 PM

18,725 posts, read 33,390,141 times
I think it's a great gift, with a nice note in a card wishing them a great trip.

Old 06-17-2018, 02:40 PM

6,627 posts, read 7,342,677 times
Go for it. I would discuss with them that you want then to get away on trip. I think you will have to sell the idea as they probably would not want to spend any money on the trip. Once you have the commitment for the trip I would give them the money.

A fall back would be for them to pick the trip and you pay the bills. This could get a little complicated depending on the trip they pick. The idea is if they really do not like spending the money you paying the vendors directly might make it a little easier for them to say yes.

Old 06-17-2018, 02:40 PM

5,947 posts, read 5,112,753 times
Summerblazed: I think it's a very thoughtful gift. I hope your parents are able to accept it in that fashion. So lucky to have a grown child like you.

Old 06-17-2018, 04:08 PM

2,070 posts, read 2,383,535 times
Also be open to other ideas on how they might like to spend the money. Some people do not want to travel or at least not to expensive destinations. My parents would have preferred to spend the money on camping equipment or a small, used camping trailer. My brother and his wife were always pushing the parents and relatives to go on international travel but we were not interested. It would be nice if they spent it on something they would truly enjoy.

Old 06-18-2018, 05:20 AM

6,593 posts, read 7,088,475 times
I agree with the other posters here. It is a nice idea and as ABQ said make sure the note suggests more than just taking a trip. A few ideas in the note and allow them to make that choice. It is good that you will be giving them money rather than an already purchased trip. Your ideas might not quite align with their ideas.

Old 06-20-2018, 06:21 AM

1,555 posts, read 2,520,476 times
You can give them a cash gift, so long as it doesn’t exceed the yearly gift
allowable amount stated by the government.

Old 06-22-2018, 09:23 AM

535 posts, read 343,534 times
What a great gift. Just write them a note as to what the money is intended for (a vacation together). This way, he won't spend it on a new roof for the house.

Old 06-22-2018, 12:07 PM

34,090 posts, read 82,964,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summerblazed View Post
My dad will be retiring early this year after 40 years in a stressful office job.
I want to write him and my mum a cheque for around £5,000
so that they can go on a big holiday and spend some time not worrying about everything.

I don’t want to book a holiday for them because...
I'm gonna take a view contrary to the others and say that CASH should be a last resort only.
(Aside from being gauche)

Why? I'd be concerned about them NOT taking the trip.
That they would keep looking hard at that "financial situation at the moment" they have
as they put the cash away with their other rainy day savings and never actually use it.
---

The problem is getting enough on deposit with a travel agent of some sort.
How much is really needed and who would be the best/safest agent to use (in the UK).
This question might be asked best in the Travel forum.

Old 06-22-2018, 12:39 PM

130,290 posts, read 12,099,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
I'm gonna take a view contrary to the others and say that CASH should be a last resort only.
(Aside from being gauche)

Why? I'd be concerned about them NOT taking the trip.
That they would keep looking hard at that "financial situation at the moment" they have
as they put the cash away with their other rainy day savings and never actually use it.
---

The problem is getting enough on deposit with a travel agent of some sort.
How much is really needed and who would be the best/safest agent to use (in the UK).
This question might be asked best in the Travel forum.
I kinda agree with this, I know quite a few elderly people who would have no interest in a trip, & would prefer to put the money in savings. They may have no interest in travel, I would try & talk to them about things they would like to do, maybe over a nice meal at home, & suss out what they would like, Of course if you are Ok, with them putting the money in savings, then that is Ok too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement