Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2018, 03:52 PM

908 posts, read 961,339 times

Advertisements

i think things that are worth splurging on are things i use every day -- a good mattress and pillow, a good car, good shampoo and cosmetics.

we doubled our salary within the last few years. i love the fact i don't have to stress about little purchases for my kids. before i always had to say no when they wanted something. now i can buy them that shirt, book, or headband, or whatever it is without having to stress out about it. it's a great feeling.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2018, 04:36 PM

3 posts, read 1,997 times
Without reading all the responses and maybe going off topic. Be prepared to have money or insurance to cover the illnesses that may come when you reach age 65 and beyond. If your lucky you may only need a few meds to support your health. It’s recommended to talk a brisk 30 minute walk every other day. Excessive indulgence in certain foods and alcohol can impact your health.
IMO you may instinctively know what to do to keep expenses in line with income. Associate yourself with positive and upbeat people helps moderate the stress that you can encounter in life.

Old 07-01-2018, 05:57 PM

14,267 posts, read 6,956,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hefe View Post
I don't skimp on coffee - it's the way I've started each day for more than 40 years. I have an expensive European drip machine - it boils the water not just heat it like the US machines do - & grind good beans with a burr grinder just before brewing. I couldn't believe the jump in taste the burr grinder made & the sturdy drip machine has lasted for over 20 years now so there is value here.
Would you like to share the brand of the coffee maker? Sounds wonderful if it boils the water and drips through metal or glass parts. Every coffee maker I have ever looked at online or in stores is brewed in plastic. What I have now is a 1 cup stainless drip-thru with a separate kettle to heat the water.

Old 07-01-2018, 07:57 PM

1,174 posts, read 2,533,449 times
I love clothes. I never buy anything at Costco, Target or Kohl’s. I have nice jewelry, but don’’t want any more than I have now. I like good perfume, and nice shoes. I take care of my clothes, and don’t put them in the dryer. I have a nice luxury car, but is 2009 low mileage. I love it, all the bells and whistles. DH has new SUV for longer trips. We have four to five vacations a year, two international usually. Never fly business class, waste of money. We like nice hotels. We like wine and beer - mostly $12 bottles approx. We have lawn obsession, and spend to keep our zoysia looking good, and lots of flowers and plants. I spent $50 on a German paring knife, and DH almost fainted. He is more of a buy cheap, by twice type of person. He realizes this, bit can’t seem to change.

Old 07-01-2018, 08:21 PM

15,966 posts, read 7,027,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crone View Post
The older I get the less Madison Avenue has an ability to influence my buying habits.

And most of the time i spring for something expensive, like linen sheets, I regret the purchase. Linen sheets are like sleeping on a loofa pad. Even 200$ ones.
I find I like the feel of 100% cotton percale best. I just got set for 79 from Costco and love it.

Old 07-01-2018, 11:00 PM

5,251 posts, read 3,609,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansible90 View Post
Would you like to share the brand of the coffee maker? Sounds wonderful if it boils the water and drips through metal or glass parts. Every coffee maker I have ever looked at online or in stores is brewed in plastic. What I have now is a 1 cup stainless drip-thru with a separate kettle to heat the water.
It's a Technivorm Moccamaster, expensive at first glance, but as I said mine has lasted 20 years & my brother has gone through about 4 cheaper ones in that time which in the end almost equal what I paid. Plus they can be repaired, haven't needed that yet.

Old 07-02-2018, 02:21 AM

7,650 posts, read 4,599,879 times
Gas...that was the first milestone. When I realized I no longer knew the cheapest places in town to get gas and would fill up when/wherever I needed it.

Checkbook...I haven't balanced it in a long time. I have a general idea where my balance is, and everything is on autopay. I look at it when the paper statement comes and see if anything looks funny. It's nice to have all review be on the backend and casual instead of knowing to the penny and attempting to maximize cash working for me.

Clothing - This has huge help from my wife who works with clothes, but she's great at finding what designers look good on me and then hunting for the deals. There's nicer things than Target, but my wife still prefers some things from Forever 21....but get what fits and looks good on you.

Beds - Go get an awesome bed.

I have not seen improvement in nicer:
- Haircuts...I'm convinced there's no skill correlation whatsoever.
- Fragrances...once you're above old spice...your good.
- Restaurants - obviously with exceptions, but aside from specific ambiance...I don't see much of a difference in food.
- Yard care/Plumbers/Electricians - I actually think there's an inverse correlation here. Go get a hungry guy building a business. The big companies are terrible.

Old 07-02-2018, 03:23 AM

7,629 posts, read 16,455,013 times
I believe a lot of us that worked hard to get where we are now feel that way...there was a point in our lives when hubby was A/D AF and the house was full of kiddos that we had to rob Peter to pay Paul. Kids are all grown now and we are the most "successful" (for lack of a better term) of both of our families. We were able to assist both my mom and MIL when they were alive, which was a blessing as both NEEDED financial assistance. We have saved, and it is funny, talking to our financial advisor, he tells us we can take XXXX out of our retirement every year without concern, but we are still in the "damn, we saved all this time, and now your telling us we can SPEND it???" mode. LOL Hard once you have conditioned yourself to sock it away to "justify" splurging. We do love our travel, but even when deciding to go out for dinner, I always consider what night of the week it is and which of our favorites has a "special" for that day of the week!

Old 07-02-2018, 05:41 AM

23,974 posts, read 15,082,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
I find I like the feel of 100% cotton percale best. I just got set for 79 from Costco and love it.
Me too. All of the other sheets are Land's End when they have 40% off sale or Costco. They are just fine.

And are preferred over the linen ones that also have to ironed. But I knew that going in. One of my kids will take them. Just like everything else.

Old 07-02-2018, 06:15 AM

3,677 posts, read 2,561,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cis_love View Post
i think things that are worth splurging on are things i use every day -- a good mattress and pillow, a good car, good shampoo and cosmetics.

we doubled our salary within the last few years. i love the fact i don't have to stress about little purchases for my kids. before i always had to say no when they wanted something. now i can buy them that shirt, book, or headband, or whatever it is without having to stress out about it. it's a great feeling.

Actually this was one of the best lessons my very frugal mom gave me. On these boards I see a lot of "hate" (not actually hate but in the urban dictionary way. lol) for people with luxury cars.
I drive over 100 miles a day in all seasons for work, I don't have a luxury car to impress anyone. I purchase the best most reliable car that I could for my budget. if you spend 70 mins each way to work, comfort is not a luxury it's a necessity.

I also think a lot of things in life are cyclical. When I was a stay at home mom and my dh and I were just starting our careers, sure we lived paycheck to paycheck. hard to save money when every thing is going out. then as we got older, raises came along, we were able to save for retirement, kids college etc. Some things we sacrificed, others we never gave up (family vacations)

After a few life lessons now I have more of a "money is a tool" attitude. my vacations have gotten a bit nicer
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement