Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are You in Shape?
Yes, I am a awesome specimen of a human being 22 31.43%
More or less - I am plus or minus 20 lbs 28 40.00%
I am a physical wreck and need to do something about it 14 20.00%
Other (explain) 6 8.57%
Voters: 70. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2018, 09:08 AM

20,722 posts, read 16,377,752 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
I’m 32. Lifelong weightlifter. I’ll keep that up as long as I am able. I hike a lot in WNC. There are a lot of flat walking trails here. I may have to back off to that.

Leg strength is one of the biggest markers of his stable you are. When I was 18 and lifting seriously, I squatted 565 lbs on free weights. I can’t do anywhere near that now, and my legs do not feel as stable.
At some point...I'm sure at far less than 500 pounds, the practical need has been met and more weight just increases the risk of injury. I'd much rather know at what weight I should be able to squat for say, 8 - 10 reps to be at like the 95th percentile for my age or for avoiding accidents, whatever. I'm not in it to set any records but for the sake of longevity and especially quality of life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2018, 09:10 AM

20,722 posts, read 16,377,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LivingDeadGirl View Post
I spent my life as a parttime professional dancer/instructor. Sadly, since January, my 6 and 7th foot surgeries have prevented me from even wearing shoes and I am in the worst shape ever. I can barely walk, and now, it appears I've developed a huge neuroma in the foot that had the 2 surgeries. ( first surgery was performed incorrectly by the doctor and the corrective surgery resulted in me ending up in ICU due to anesthesia error - I still have brain fog and my heart beats really oddly)

So... instead of dancing, exercising (to include pelvic floor exercises), doing my usual extensive yardwork on my 2 acres, I've turned into a pile of mush and am really disgusted by the entire thing.

IF things return to normal, hopefully, I shall resume my exercises. I don't go to exercise classes because I hate being in public and it is too much effort to clean up, drive to town, and go to a class which really wouldn't be 'my thing' anyway.
Hey, sexual health is an important part of overall health! ...and good for bladder health as well.

Old 07-01-2018, 09:19 AM

13,395 posts, read 13,507,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodysbusiness View Post
To the walkers: How do you deal with boredom? Do you drive somewhere and walk, or just walk around your neighborhood or other?
What boredom? Headphones and good music, podcasts, or audio books.

Tip: If you're religious/spiritual and have a hard time reading your holy book (Bible, Koran, Torah, etc ), get an audio version and listen while you walk.

Old 07-01-2018, 09:24 AM

1,042 posts, read 874,256 times
I walk. I swim. And I belly dance. it is a great exercise for the core and helping to prevent injuries from falling. Pls, I wear one of those little scarfs when I do it and love to hear the coins jingle!

Old 07-01-2018, 09:35 AM

1,544 posts, read 1,700,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacktravern View Post
I just find it funny that 8 out of the first 9 responses were from people not 65 like the title suggest. Even a 32 year old chimed in

Just from observation, even here in LA I don't think I have seen 1 fit person over 65. I guess I will if I have Sly Stallone sighting one of these day.

TRT needs to be moved more to the forefront.
If you're not seeing fit seniors you're not looking. Many fit seniors don't look like seniors (especially in LA). Being fit as a senior does not necessarily mean bulging muscles or flat stomachs. Look at your local gyms, pools and parks during the daytime. You will see seniors actively exercising.

Old 07-01-2018, 10:10 AM

11,054 posts, read 6,645,497 times
Here at our condo complex, there are 3 60-something guys who surf. That really impresses me.

Most of us just walk, though. We go one mile to the next complex, then back, so 2 miles. It's never boring on the beach. Jellyfish, thousands of sand crabs, interesting trash washes up....driftwood....dead fish and turtles. Vultures and frigate birds. Hard-packed sand alternates with soft, so more effort there.

Also 20 min. on the elliptical doing interval bursts while watching a Spanish lesson. I'd like to get back into Pilates but not sure how my arthritic joints will handle it. They have precluded much of what I used to do in the exercise dept. Forget weights, etc.

Old 07-01-2018, 10:17 AM

3,546 posts, read 3,115,713 times
I spend a lot more time exercising now than I did when I was working. I have more time for it now, it's a part of my daily social life, and a few health issues have given me incentive. I do country line dance classes at the gym every morning, walk nature trails, do circuit equipment (especially the rowing machines, which I love) and swim. Our HOA has water aerobics classes in the summer, and I try to go to those 2-3 times a week.

I do a lot of walking, but boredom has never been an issue for me. I guess I just have plenty to think about.

Old 07-01-2018, 10:40 AM

3,211 posts, read 2,978,672 times
In my late 60s, I do lots of walking and yoga, have a flat stomach, am well toned. Husband has a little belly because he eats a lot of carbs, otherwise he is still quite strong and active.

Old 07-01-2018, 11:16 AM

8,620 posts, read 5,652,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim9251 View Post
Boredom? Never bored walking here gosh people shooting, trying to run me over on a horse, flipping me off. Never boring.
Lol - where do you live?

Old 07-01-2018, 12:15 PM

11,181 posts, read 10,534,651 times
Love reading others' workout routines.

I walk/jog 2-3 miles 4 mornings a week, normally 45 mins in cardio/fat-burning zone. Then I walk as needed the rest of the day to get in 10000 steps (my Fitbit is set to remind me to walk at least 300 steps every hour between 11:00am and 7:00pm).
Yoga, 20-30 mins, 3-4x a week, same days as the walk/jogs.

I've fallen off the wagon on my 2x week light upper body weight lifting, using Mirabai Holland videos. Need to resume that.

I'm 69, have been following this routine more or less for about 15 years, have not yet had any knee or joint problems.

I listen to audiobooks while I work out. Sometimes even while doing yoga - heresy I know! But I'm not going to turn off a good book just to go Ommm.

I have a Concept 2 rower and enjoy short (10-15 mins) sessions on it occasionally. Mostly I keep and lightly use it in case I ever have a foot/ankle injury that prevents me from being able to walk/jog.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement