Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-18-2018, 07:47 PM

88,586 posts, read 84,818,250 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by matisse12 View Post
I have long hair way below my shoulders, and I haven't used a blow dryer or any dryer for 40 years.

Completely air dry, and a preceding towel pat for a minute or two.
Same here, although I've used one a few times when my hair was wet and I had to go out early in winter.

For the most part, it air dries whenever possible. I have hair longer than shoulder length also, and it's thick and very wavy. In the 70s, my type of hair was not acceptable at all. I used huge rollers, then blowdryers when they came out, everything I could to make my hair hang straight. I blew out so many blowdryers because my hair was so thick that they would get overheated and spark and short out.

Nowadays, this is my hair. You don't like it, don't look at it. Most times I slap some stuff on it that I have, crunch it, run my fingers through it, and that's it. A day or two later I might brush it out if it looks a bit too unkempt.

Sometimes I wash it, put the gel or whatever that lotiony stuff they sold me is on it, then twist it up on top of my head. The next day I pull out the elastic thinger, let it fall, comb it out with my fingers, and it generally looks pretty good. That's my fancy hairdo.

Old 07-18-2018, 07:49 PM

88,586 posts, read 84,818,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hefe View Post
The short, ugly hairstyle that too many women seem to adopt after 50 that looks-like-I-cut-it-myself, or perhaps they go to a stylist & asks for the "I give up & don't care anymore" is painfully apparent & definitely equivalent to the man with the sad mis-colored toupee or combover & shirt with too many buttons open.
Just. Not. Attractive.

If one doesn't care that's fine, plenty of men take the easy route too, but don't put up a straw man argument about "long hair" which no one has suggested. If you are asking what men think it's something to consider, most of us men would prefer to be with someone within 10 years or less of our age & understand the body is less than ideal for most, hair & clothes choices make some statement about us though. Perhaps not always consciously made.
Or they go to the "All Haircuts--$7.00!" place where they only know how to do one haircut.

Old 07-18-2018, 07:54 PM

4,175 posts, read 2,572,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
you just don't stop with the attacks when you don't like the answers
I like your jokes . I think you have a great sense of humor.

Old 07-18-2018, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sibay View Post
So clearly the answer to finding companionship after one reaches a certain age is all about hair. Who knew?
But the title of the thread is:

"My followup to my thread asking men what do they want?"

Hair is part of that. If one doesn't want to hear the answers then why ask?

Old 07-18-2018, 08:02 PM

9,470 posts, read 9,374,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Or they go to the "All Haircuts--$7.00!" place where they only know how to do one haircut.
I recently saw a sign in front of a hair salon that read, “We fix $10 haircuts.” LOL

Old 07-18-2018, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vrexy View Post
Oh, please! So not true! My husband has longer hair than I do and everyone who knows him thinks it looks wonderful. We both have long and beautiful hair.
I agree. I LOVE long hair on men aka metal/thrash bands. I mean VERY long hair. I think it is hot as hell.

Old 07-18-2018, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
I find the big gut thing interesting. While I can see that I also have to wonder why an older woman whose looks have obviously diminished would be so judgmental.

Sex? Probably not even in the equation and I would think I would have little interest, dang you are old hags right?
Lol, you are funny . And why shouldn't an older woman have personal likes, and dislikes? Older men do. What are we, chopped liver? After all that we hear about men wanting younger women with hot bods. If I don't want a big gut on a man that is my sexual preference. I'm getting back into shape by exercising. Why can't he? Not only is a big gut very unattractive, it is a health issue as well as their internal organs are covered in the same fat, and makes their hearts work harder. I'm not asking for the moon here. Just a semi flat stomach, not even a 6 pack. It's really not an unreasonable request. You guys want your woman to look good. Some of us older women want our men to look good too. After all, we aren't dead yet.

As far as sex goes, you could still lay naked next to her, cuddle, and kiss. Not sure why you included the old hag insulting remark with a happy face at the end. What kind of a thing is that to say? It's not funny.

Old 07-18-2018, 09:22 PM

6,884 posts, read 11,245,419 times
Smile Just a guess....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayarea4 View Post
I'd be curious to know what is considered an "old womans haircut" and "old women's attire."
Back in 2014 (Christmas), my daughter went to Nordstroms and bought me 2 pairs of pants (Eileen Fischer type) and tops (sweaters that you pull over your head but baggy kind of in large). OK, so I knew I was 60 pounds away from where I wanted to be but to the naked eye, most people think I'm about 30 pounds overweight.

Now, 2018, 30 of that 60 is gone and I have worn regular pants more. Every time, I wear them, so many people say, wow, have you lost like 100 pounds? Well, no, 30, but thanks. (Obviously, the baggy stuff makes you look bigger).

Judging by the comments from the Eileen Fischer pants to regular ones, obviously, Eileen's pants may be considered "old lady" attire. Just a guess.

My hair is straight below the shoulder so I look younger than I am. I still have to work so I am conscious of all that but my goal is to get back to all regular clothes. I do get it frosted.

I'm not a fan of florals or Hawaiian shirt styles but more like what Jackie Kennedy used to wear as far as classic clothes. I'm a fan of Reese Witherspoon, Jennifer Garner types. I like very preppy stuff. I know I'm boring!!

Old 07-18-2018, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post

My mom has an uncle four years older than she is who is married to a woman the same age. They are 94 and got married at 20 when she became pregnant.

She is in an assisted living now and he visits her each day, but I know it was less than 20 years ago that my mom told me that Aunt Mary mentioned that they still have sex every so often. Of course, when my sister and I heard this from her, we yelled, "NOOOOO, erase that from our minds!"

But even if no one wants to imagine what it looks like, the reality is that it happens. If people are healthy and have the desire and a partner, why shouldn't sex continue into the later years?
Yep, yep!!! I think it's very romantic.

Old 07-18-2018, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
Stubble tends to be abrasive to a woman's inner thighs.
Zeroing in on the important part . I like how you think. You've got the right idea. Your wife is a lucky lady . Now I know where your handle came from, dive, dive, lol?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement