Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2018, 09:06 PM

8,620 posts, read 5,654,555 times

Advertisements

Is it true that if most men live long enough, they will have prostate cancer?

There are some supplements that are supposed to lower PSA levels - but once you have cancer, who knows . . . I would adopt a much healthier lifestyle, for sure.

https://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/805549
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2018, 09:17 PM

703 posts, read 613,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodysbusiness View Post

There are some supplements that are supposed to lower PSA levels - but once you have cancer, who knows . . . I would adopt a much healthier lifestyle, for sure.

First statement is true. nearly all men, whether they are ever diagnosed or not, will have prostate cancer at some point if they don't die from something else sooner. I have even read a few papers stating that something like 7% of men in their 20's who had been autopsied after death from accidents or other other medical conditions were found to have nascent prostate cancer or precancerous changes.

As far as doing anything to lower your PSA.... don't do it. People seem to think having PSA causes cancer. Lower the PSA and lower the cancer risk. Wrong. If you lower your PSA you could be masking prostate cancer. You always want to know what your real actual un-interfered-with PSA level is. If you go around lowering it, that gives a false sense of security.

Old 08-14-2018, 10:13 PM

41 posts, read 39,268 times
My husband was diagnosed in March. Super healthy....eats a very healthy diet, exercises regularly, never overweight. He turned 66 in May and had a DaVinci prostatectomy on August 1st. His good health has helped greatly in his relatively easy recovery.

When he was diagnosed the dr told us because of his age he could go either way re treatment. If he was 55 he’d recommend removing the prostate. If he was 75 he’d recommend radiation. He opted for prostatectomy because physically he is closer to a 55 year old...and he just wanted the cancer gone! The problem with radiation is if the cancer returns it is very difficult to then remove the radiated prostate....very few drs. do the procedure as we understood it.

Surgery went very well. Afterwards the dr said he saw no evidence it had spread to the lymph nodes and pathology confirmed the cancer was contained in the prostate....so he’s basically cured. He spent overnight in the hospital. He stayed on pain meds (not opioids) for six days until the catheter was removed. The catheter was more annoying than anything else. Now he is working on gaining urinary control. He’s fine sitting down but as soon as he stands up or does Kegel exercises he dribbles. He’s wearing Depends and pads. In men the prostate controls urine flow so with the prostate gone the body/brain has to “retrain” itself. It will just take time and is different for everyone but normal.

His PSA had risen slowly over the years and was 7.2 in the spring....up from 5 something at the previous checkup.... so the dr did a biopsy. His Gleason score was 7. These numbers will help to determine whether you should start treatment now or do “watchful waiting.”

Good luck. Getting the diagnosiss is a shock but the prognosis for surgery or radiation is pretty good.

Old 08-14-2018, 10:24 PM

13,075 posts, read 7,515,583 times
^Good luck to you and DH.
Detrol (Tolterodine, generic) has helped me in bladder leakage. Not a total solution but part of the bladder leakage solution.

Old 08-14-2018, 10:54 PM

6,769 posts, read 5,490,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
It concerns me that you have had so many immediate family members die of cancer. With that history, have you considered genetic testing? It is very inexpensive nowadays and you can even send in a test online with no need for a doctor's order. I had my entire family tested through color.com .

Even if you don't want to do that, or the test is negative, I would still tend to be on the proactive side because of the family history. I completely agree with Nightengale that you need to know specifics about your particular type of cancer, not generalities about "most people" or "the majority of cases."

I also strongly support finding out sooner rather than later.
We're getting to the bottom of specifics of type.

Since it doesn't appear to be a cut and dried thing I will have another biopsy of different area.

I see my urologist tomorrow.

My paternal grandfather died of complications from prostate cancer, my father survived it, my father's mother died of breast cancer, my father's brother has lung cancer, my mother's sister died of ovarian cancer, my father's aunt had cervical cancer ( I think it was), and my father's cousin had Breast cancer.

So yeah, cancer runs deep.

I don't see the point in genetic testing, at this point its moot.I've got it. Now what do I do with it?

That is the question I'm trying to answer.

Old 08-14-2018, 11:12 PM

6,769 posts, read 5,490,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WellShoneMoon View Post
Did someone tell you that "THAT part of life" is completely over after prostate surgery? Although I'm female, I was in a relationship with a man who had had his prostate removed (I saw the big scar), but with a couple of easy work-arounds, "THAT part of life" still worked well for him. Maybe you're dreading something that won't happen, or won't be as bad as you fear.
Ok to put it point blankly, and far less tactful than I'd lik, but the prostate in the male is,the organ that provides orgasm , the prize at the end. I see absolutely no reason to go through "all that work" if there is no prize at the end.

We're not talking shooting blanks like with a vasectomy, were talking not shooting the gun at all.

Not up for that. It WILL be over.

I guarantee you he hasn't had an orgasm since his prostate was removed.

That part is not for me yet.

Not to mention most men with prostate cancer resolutions suffer erectile dysfunction ( ED), it would appear that that NOT even shooting the gun isn't an option as the gun isn't even put together let alone loaded.

And, NO I'm not going to have a sometimes workable, artificial part "implant" to facilitate an approximation to an erection.

No, none of that for me YET.

IF I was in my 60s, id feel different. But clearly I'm not.

Well see what the urologist says tomorrow.

Geese this is less than tactful now. I'm spilling my guts, and haven't yet had to spill my guts...on an operating table.

My OH says will abide by any decisions I have to make. That doesn't help much.

Let me put it this way, I'm going through somewhat what a woman goes through when she's told she has,reached menopause. And ISN'T ready for childbearing years to be over. Or the hormone changes or the vaginal dryness, or painful intercourse for first time.

I have no lack of libido, rather I'm rather still a raging stallion ( ask my OH, lol). So, no, not teady to give that up.

It's be like me asking you to cut off your right arm due to psoriasis. Would you be willing to do it so quickly????

Hmmm....

Old 08-15-2018, 12:46 AM

18,528 posts, read 18,757,013 times
All men are at risk for developing prostate cancer. About 1 man in 7 will be diagnosed with prostate cancer during his lifetime, but only 1 man in 39 will die of this disease. About 80 percent of men who reach age 80 have prostate cancer cells in their prostate.

Old 08-15-2018, 06:32 AM

896 posts, read 1,140,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxyhi View Post
Ok to put it point blankly, and far less tactful than I'd lik, but the prostate in the male is,the organ that provides orgasm , the prize at the end. I see absolutely no reason to go through "all that work" if there is no prize at the end.

We're not talking shooting blanks like with a vasectomy, were talking not shooting the gun at all.

Not up for that. It WILL be over.

I guarantee you he hasn't had an orgasm since his prostate was removed.

That part is not for me yet.

Not to mention most men with prostate cancer resolutions suffer erectile dysfunction ( ED), it would appear that that NOT even shooting the gun isn't an option as the gun isn't even put together let alone loaded.

And, NO I'm not going to have a sometimes workable, artificial part "implant" to facilitate an approximation to an erection.

No, none of that for me YET.

IF I was in my 60s, id feel different. But clearly I'm not.

Well see what the urologist says tomorrow.

Geese this is less than tactful now. I'm spilling my guts, and haven't yet had to spill my guts...on an operating table.

My OH says will abide by any decisions I have to make. That doesn't help much.

Let me put it this way, I'm going through somewhat what a woman goes through when she's told she has,reached menopause. And ISN'T ready for childbearing years to be over. Or the hormone changes or the vaginal dryness, or painful intercourse for first time.

I have no lack of libido, rather I'm rather still a raging stallion ( ask my OH, lol). So, no, not teady to give that up.

It's be like me asking you to cut off your right arm due to psoriasis. Would you be willing to do it so quickly????

Hmmm....
Your concerns are real. Us Too - International Prostate Cancer Education & Support Network - Us TOO is a good resource. Look for a local support group. They are a good source of support and information. My husband was diagnosed in 2016 and opted for surgery because he wanted the cancer gone. Look at your options and do your research.

Old 08-15-2018, 07:08 AM

4,537 posts, read 3,757,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodysbusiness View Post

My FIL developed prostate cancer when he was in his mid 60’s. It was slow growing and controlled with radiation seeds and hormonal therapy. Every time we visited thereafter, he talked about the latest health thing he was reading up on: vinegar, colloidal silver, vitamins, supplements, exercise, going meatless etc. He had books and tapes from Wayne Dyer, Deepak Chopra, Andrew Weil and whoever was the latest on the self-help, meditation, and alternative health book charts.

He died from another type of aggressive cancer in his mid eighties. He spent fifteen years focused on his prostate cancer after his diagnosis, until the last cancer became the overriding concern. He could have been living a fuller life with less emphasis on his prostate cancer and the latest paths to good health. He felt he was being proactive and he was, but it over-shadowed everything else in his life. There’s healthy concern and there is obsession; finding a balance can be difficult or even impossible for some.

Last edited by jean_ji; 08-15-2018 at 07:30 AM..

Old 08-15-2018, 07:39 AM

2,269 posts, read 1,640,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzybint View Post
All men are at risk for developing prostate cancer. About 1 man in 7 will be diagnosed with prostate cancer during his lifetime, but only 1 man in 39 will die of this disease. About 80 percent of men who reach age 80 have prostate cancer cells in their prostate.
Yep. Many men who die of other causes are found to have prostate cancer. In general, it’s a slow moving type of cancer but every case is different and with cancer of any type, you don’t want to assume anything. Have it carefully evaluated and proceed accordingly; don’t ignore it.

Best of luck to those of you who have encountered it first hand. So far, I’m lucky.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement