Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2013, 05:47 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,077,481 times

Advertisements

Here's a great question I stumbled across in another thread. I thought it was a really interesting question, in fact thought-provoking enough that it deserved it's own thread (hope you don't mind, Laura).

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
Just where is that Geek Retirement Acres for the kids that used to participate in the science fair, be in the audio visual club, be on the chess team, be a ham radio operator and be in the Spanish/French club when they were in high school? We got old, too.
I think there are a LOT of people who'd love to find places like that. Imagine the possibilities--instead of having a golf course, there would be community labs where retirees could get together to do things like build robots. There would be field trips to watch meteor showers, and groups that get together to discuss the latest topics from TED. Am I the only person who thinks there would be a market for something like this? I've heard of 55+ communities with various themes, but I'm not familiar with one like this (although it makes sense, so I wouldn't be surprised to hear of one).

Do such places exist? Or, are there communities that have a lot of "nerdy" retirees and the local community centers cater to them?

In other words, if you were a retiree who spent his life in research or aerospace or something like that, could move anywhere in the country, and is now interested in meeting other people with "nerdy" interests, where would you go? Los Alamos, NM comes to mind as a small town with a lot of scientists. Any other ideas? Anyone know of 55+ communities like that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2013, 06:05 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,469,759 times
It did exist until the mud and floods washed it away! But they are cleaning up and brushing themselves off!!!

Boulder, Colorado. Yoga geeks, hipsters, old school hippies mixed with outdoor enthusiasts, exercise freaks and vegans.

Old 09-19-2013, 06:23 AM

31,683 posts, read 41,030,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
It did exist until the mud and floods washed it away! But they are cleaning up and brushing themselves off!!!

Boulder, Colorado. Yoga geeks, hipsters, old school hippies mixed with outdoor enthusiasts, exercise freaks and vegans.
College towns can often provide the environment.

Old 09-19-2013, 06:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
College towns can often provide the environment.
True, although sometimes I wonder how easy it is for retirees to participate in the labs and activities that colleges have. If I was interested in finding friends who wanted to build robots or maybe hold competitions, would I b able to move to a college town and be able to find a group that would welcome a senior citizen?

Old 09-19-2013, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
True, although sometimes I wonder how easy it is for retirees to participate in the labs and activities that colleges have. If I was interested in finding friends who wanted to build robots or maybe hold competitions, would I b able to move to a college town and be able to find a group that would welcome a senior citizen?
Aren't there pockets of in the DC metro area? Or even selective 55 plus communities?

Old 09-19-2013, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
I would think considering the age of Reston there would now be a core of retired intellectuals bonding together to continue their interest in retirement.

Old 09-19-2013, 07:09 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,454,776 times
I'm a retired software engineer. The "geek community" is the internet for me.
I know a few hardware engineers that retired and moved out of the city so they could build their dream workshop and tinker away to their heart's content.

Old 09-19-2013, 07:14 AM

Yes, DC metro area is definitely one to add to the list (although I generally don't recommend moving to the DC metro area to retire due to the high cost of housing here). I don't know of any 55+ communities that are geared for science buffs, but there are certainly plenty of robot clubs, model rocket clubs, etc. My husband was able to hook up with a local middle school, and helped out as an advisor to a kid's robot competition. He was also a judge in the county science fair last spring, which was a great retiree project. There are "nerdy" groups that travel together, and those mostly attract people over 50. And there are hiking groups that hold "TED Talks" (various TED topics are discussed while hiking).

Old 09-19-2013, 07:19 AM
NCN

21,662 posts, read 25,621,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
I'm a retired software engineer. The "geek community" is the internet for me.
I know a few hardware engineers that retired and moved out of the city so they could build their dream workshop and tinker away to their heart's content.
Computer geeks are welcome in any retirement village. We have a friend that is very popular in his. He cleans peoples computers up, they run faster and he becomes their hero.

Old 09-19-2013, 07:24 AM
NCN

21,662 posts, read 25,621,789 times
We used to have Elderhostel magazines in the library. These magazines list different intellectual opportunities for almost no money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement