Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2018, 08:06 AM

50 posts, read 29,230 times

Advertisements

Back in the 1960s and 1970s while I was growing up in Oregon, there where lots of communes where we lived in the foothills of the Cascades. These communes were made up of young folks in the late teens and 20s, maybe to their early 30s. To me at the time, it seemed like they focused on alcohol, drugs, and sex, but some of their members "grew out of it" and went on to become part of the establishment working for Hewlett-Packard and other Fortune 500 companies.

Anyway, I was thinking communes for retirees might be something to consider. I think there are some on the East Coast and maybe California, but you do not hear much about them.

You know, get a group of retirees who are still mobile together, pool their resources, and buy a place with land where they could all live and work. And by work I mean preparing meals, gardening, cleaning, etc. I could see myself doing that. It would keep oneself busy and their would be companionship.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2018, 08:18 AM

11,103 posts, read 9,746,390 times
It sounds like an interesting idea, but there would have to be a mechanism to transfer ownership when members have to move to assisted living or nursing homes, or die. You would need younger folks coming in to replace them, and they would have to buy in. Perhaps people would be able to buy a "share" and then sell it back to the group when they have to leave, or leave it to the group in their will if they die, to be resold to new members.

Old 08-23-2018, 08:27 AM

3,550 posts, read 3,112,790 times
The problem I see with this idea is it would attract people without relatives or much money, who know they're going to need a lot of care in the near future. Communes only work when you have more people giving than taking, and plenty of young people to help with a high percentage of the heavier work. Even if you have restrictions, people might bend the truth to get in, figuring it's a cheap way to get expensive care; people like that will take more than they give. Even the residents who have good intentions in the beginning will not be able to do as much as they age. The problem will grow exponentially as the residents age.

I can see the idea working better on a very small scale. A "Golden Girls" type arrangement with just 3-4 people, for example.

Old 08-23-2018, 09:11 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,694 posts, read 58,004,579 times
There are plenty of similar / varied concepts... d I am seeking a rural senior cottage community owned by the residents.

Since I have not found one... I may build it, and be my own first customer.

We toured (3) private senior communities in Davis, CA (Built by a group of friends for their use and enjoyment) and here are some more:
https://seniorhousingnews.com/2013/1...n-some-states/
women Living in community (Asheville)...
http://www.rioroblesinc.com/
Senior Cooperative Foundation – Senior Cooperative Foundation
Housing List – Senior Cooperative Foundation
FAQs | Senior Cooperative Living
Village Cooperative
Cooperative Living - Ebenezer Cares
https://rocusa.org/
https://www.ic.org/

There are many ways to structure; Co-op, LLC, Corporation, shared equity...
Many ways to manage,
Many ways to assure continuity / ownership valuation and marketability.

I will REALLY enjoy having someone around to help with the chores and bring their adventures into my life.
(Danish heritage, where MANY folks live in cooperative / community owned housing.)

USA developers claim is works best with Scandinavians. "Hot-dish" pros!

Old 08-23-2018, 09:32 AM

5,249 posts, read 3,605,519 times
It's a utopian desire & pretty much exists in 2 forms today, broadly speaking. One is in religious/spiritually oriented communities & the other is in the more practical & controllable corporate-driven "over 55 communities". Both have the same issues with power & money but at least the over-55 places have elections & the ability to bow out if not a good fit.

As someone with minor experiences in the early 70's with both hippie & spiritual communities my view is it wasn't what I projected it would be with the promise of dropping out with "free love" & sharing, or the promise of "God's love" & sharing. Both eventually devolved to issues of alphas who needed to control & have loyalty & those who agree to submit to that in areas of their needy lives as the "communities" flourished a bit & then eventually faded.

I think only strict religious & familial communes could flourish because of the defined power structures there.

At least the over-55 retirement communities have a semi-democratic arrived at set of rules that one can agree to or not. Will the Margaritaville retirement communities be "hipper", whatever that is? I suspect not, I think it is just a branding maneuver to differentiate them from the Villages or Del Webb projects.

Old 08-23-2018, 09:34 AM

9,455 posts, read 12,540,287 times
Just do a google search. I found a ton of results for senior communal living

Old 08-23-2018, 09:36 AM

10,213 posts, read 14,825,976 times
The idea of communes in the 60's appealed to unattached young people in their early 20's who had never accomplished or saved anything and were seeking an identity and a direction or place in life - (outside of their parents homes,d 'the establishment' ... and the war in Vietnam). It was a romantic notion, but, unsustainable as a longer-term lifestyle. Eventually, almost all of those folks joined the real world - although some simply continued to drift for many years.

Most of today's retirees retired from something. They are now late in their marriages, have accomplished things and established lives. They have worked and saved throughout lengthy careers, built-up savings and assets to sustain themselves throughout retirement. They also have raised children and have grandkids and great-grandkids. IMO, the idea that 'they' would now want to pool their resources and 'run away to join the circus' or 'sail a group boat off into the sunset' is a romantic notion with few, if any, followers. These folks don't even get re-married without a pre-nup, and are unlikely to be interested in pooling their resources with other retirees.

The modern-day version of a commune for retirees is probably a 55+ retirement community, a retirement village -- or an assisted living facility. There, they can have the communal advantages of sharing life with others who have similar interests, but, still live their own lives (with assistance, if necessary).

Last edited by jghorton; 08-23-2018 at 09:53 AM..

Old 08-23-2018, 09:38 AM

189 posts, read 110,655 times
A similar concept is cohousing. People own their own houses and have community meals several times a week and share some communal spaces. Decisions are usually made by consensus. There are senior-specific co-housing communities.

Look here:
https://cohousing.org/aging

Old 08-23-2018, 10:29 AM

7,448 posts, read 7,581,875 times
Communes didn't appeal to me when I was a young adult and they certainly don't appeal to me as a retiree. It's one of those fantasies that provide a real fast reality check when you try it. Kind of like all those people who have romantic notions about moving to Alaska and living off the grid in a small cabin 100 miles from nowhere after they watch one of the dozens of so-called reality shows about Alaska. The expectation and the reality are two totally different things.

Old 08-23-2018, 10:49 AM

8,752 posts, read 5,044,272 times
All I can think of is a bunch of Grumpy Old Men, living together. Maybe they could make a movie
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement