Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2018, 06:33 AM

1,353 posts, read 789,796 times

Advertisements

About a month ago I got a letter in mail from Professional Account Management, LLC, Milwaukee. it states I have "unpaid toll violation" with Skyway Concession Company, and must pay $33.20.
For several reasons this claim is not valid, e.g. I have transponders on both cars.
I had submitted a polite letter with explanations immediately. Yesterday I got another letter: "Your continued failure to pay may result in additional collection activities".
Sorry, I never had to deal with collection agencies. It seems to me payment of $33.20 is the only reasonable option. Using the lawyer would cost a lot more money.
I checked Professional Account Management, LLC, on the Internet (to make sure they are not a bunch of criminals). It seems to be a real company.
Did anybody have any experience with collection agency, and what is the best way to deal with the agency, please?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2018, 06:42 AM

4,280 posts, read 5,939,679 times
If they haven't already told you the dates of the alleged non-payment, ask for the date. Then run a report for your transponders for that window of time checking for a toll or tolls matching that amount. Then get a report form your CC company showing the Toll amount paid.

Now you can argue with them using documented facts.

BTW - If you had an expired or non-active CC linked to the transponder account, the bill is likely valid. That has happened to us after new CC's arrive replacing the old cards which were linked to the transponder account.

Old 12-25-2018, 10:39 AM

3,007 posts, read 3,134,750 times
Or better still if you are sure you do not owe this money, don't do anything, don't respond to them, only makes them worse.
They will not take further action as in suing you or even reports on credit. I have dealt with Collection agencies many times over the years.

Old 12-25-2018, 12:35 PM

6,627 posts, read 7,348,414 times
If you can I would print out the tolls for the month or year and send it to them and tell them this shows that paid.
Then say in case a clerical error has been made please send me the date and time of the violation and a picture of my car.

I would stress that their is probably a clerical error in their records.

I would keep writing. They will probably give up at some point but I would not stop responding to their letters.

Old 12-25-2018, 12:44 PM

9,153 posts, read 9,497,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MI-Roger View Post
If they haven't already told you the dates of the alleged non-payment, ask for the date. Then run a report for your transponders for that window of time checking for a toll or tolls matching that amount. Then get a report form your CC company showing the Toll amount paid.

Now you can argue with them using documented facts.

BTW - If you had an expired or non-active CC linked to the transponder account, the bill is likely valid. That has happened to us after new CC's arrive replacing the old cards which were linked to the transponder account.

Yes, they're required to provide debt verification which is any documentation they have that verifies the debt is yours. I'm surprised they didn't do this when you first contacted them instead of sending the "continued failure to pay" letter. I guess they're gonna make you specifically ask for it.

Old 12-25-2018, 12:58 PM

25,578 posts, read 17,298,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maple47 View Post
About a month ago I got a letter in mail from Professional Account Management, LLC, Milwaukee. it states I have "unpaid toll violation" with Skyway Concession Company, and must pay $33.20.
For several reasons this claim is not valid, e.g. I have transponders on both cars.
I had submitted a polite letter with explanations immediately. Yesterday I got another letter: "Your continued failure to pay may result in additional collection activities".
Sorry, I never had to deal with collection agencies. It seems to me payment of $33.20 is the only reasonable option. Using the lawyer would cost a lot more money.
I checked Professional Account Management, LLC, on the Internet (to make sure they are not a bunch of criminals). It seems to be a real company.
Did anybody have any experience with collection agency, and what is the best way to deal with the agency, please?
Yes, I dealt with one. I paid my hospital bill in full in Bermuda, just like I was asked. $5,000, for gall bladder problems. I knew I could collect later back in the US.
Then I got a letter saying they had forgotten to charge me for $500 worth of services.
I told them the bill had been paid, I paid what was asked, and the matter was closed.
They turned it over to a collection agency in Florida.
I wrote the collection agency in Florida and told them I did not owe the money, I was never going to pay it, and instructed them to not write me again.
I never heard any more about it, and it never showed on my credit report.
When you're right, you're right.

Old 12-25-2018, 01:07 PM

2,568 posts, read 2,521,105 times
LIt's highly unlikely the collection agency will care about any documentation you provide. You must go to EZ Pass to resolve, they in turn will cancel the collection service if your evidence supports it.

Last edited by BOBNCHI; 12-25-2018 at 01:24 PM..

Old 12-25-2018, 01:34 PM

6,460 posts, read 3,983,103 times
Can you call them and ask for specifics rather than writing back and forth? It seems to me the first thing I would do is verify that they're even legitimate rather than some "phishing" letter hoping people will just send them money if they spread enough fear.

I'd call the toll company as well, and from a number found on their own website (assuming you also know the name of the toll company is legit), not any number this company may provide to you.

Maybe it's all legit, but I'm a skeptic these days (as you have to be), and I'm kind of wondering why a company you owe money to wouldn't send you a bill themselves first and give you a chance to pay, rather than going straight to a Collections agency after it's overdue without even notifying you that you owed them. Does this letter have your name on it? Does it have information besides your name and address, like about your car, license plate, etc.? (The more info they have, the more likely it's actually legitimate and you they're after, rather than a general phishing exercise or a mistake.)

Old 12-25-2018, 02:21 PM

1,353 posts, read 789,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K12144 View Post
Can you call them and ask for specifics rather than writing back and forth? It seems to me the first thing I would do is verify that they're even legitimate rather than some "phishing" letter hoping people will just send them money if they spread enough fear.

I'd call the toll company as well, and from a number found on their own website (assuming you also know the name of the toll company is legit), not any number this company may provide to you.

Maybe it's all legit, but I'm a skeptic these days (as you have to be), and I'm kind of wondering why a company you owe money to wouldn't send you a bill themselves first and give you a chance to pay, rather than going straight to a Collections agency after it's overdue without even notifying you that you owed them. Does this letter have your name on it? Does it have information besides your name and address, like about your car, license plate, etc.? (The more info they have, the more likely it's actually legitimate and you they're after, rather than a general phishing exercise or a mistake.)
I have the same feeling! Why didn't the Skyway call me/ email me /bill me first? They activated the collection agency instead... I guess they have to pay the agency for their service.

Old 12-25-2018, 03:07 PM

774 posts, read 1,049,810 times
I would not take the chance on simply ignoring this as others have suggested. You have the right to request proof of the debt.

In order to protect yourself, you should send a certified letter (signature required) disputing the debt and requesting verification of the debt. You can Google for examples, but here's one web site How to Dispute a Debt with a Collections Agency | SmithMarco and a sample dispute letter Fair Debt Collection Practices Act Letter | Dispute a Collection
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement