Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2019, 06:38 PM

26,655 posts, read 28,691,193 times

Advertisements

I only use the credit cards. My main card gives 3 points for groceries, 2 points for gas, and one point for everything else. Most of the purchases I make are for groceries and gas, so it adds up and it's stuff I would be buying anyway.

I'm kind of afraid of debit cards because I've heard that someone could clean your bank account out. With a cc, you just call them and it's okay. And debit cards don't give points. I like getting the free money!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2019, 06:40 PM

6,503 posts, read 3,437,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ihatetodust View Post
DDM2K, probably a very good point actually. I still write some as getting money orders is not convenient. Passports for example would not take anything but check or MO when last renewed it. (May have changed?)

All you debit users, do you reconcile your accounts with each purchase? That would drive me bananas! Cash works well for small things IMO
Sometimes I want to deposit cash into my Fidelity Cash Management (fancy name for checking) account... since they have no branches, I just get a MO (an MO? lol) and take a picture to mobile deposit it. Money's there the next day.

When getting cash, they don't charge foreign ATM fees and reimburse all ATM fees charged by other institutions.

Drawback of no branches is no same-day cashier's checks. 3-5 business days and the "overnight" option only applies to shipping, after the 3-5 days

Old 01-14-2019, 06:42 PM

2,104 posts, read 1,933,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by athena53 View Post
Don't see any reason to use debit cards. I like my credit card rewards and pay in full every month. The ATM card attached to my checking account serves as a debit card when needed- I think it was the Paris subway that didn't take credit cards.
We were in Paris in 2017 and had no problems using our credit cards. My understanding is that RER (regional train) and Paris Metro ticket machines only accept “EC” credit cards that are security-chip enable. So if your CC has the chip, you should not have any problems using it.

One can always buy tickets with any type of credit cards at the ticket counter.

Regarding debit card, we used to use our credit union debit card only to get ATM cash both in the US and abroad. We use the debit card quite often now in Idaho for two reasons. First, our favorite grocery store, Winco, does not accept cc. Secondly, when we pay with the debit card, our local credit union rounds up the amount and automatically put it in a saving account called Central Cents Savings. Of course, the amounts are small but it's free money.

Our credit cards were compromised few times but we have never had problems with our debit cards. If anything, I think that it is easier to steal from a credit card than a debit card because one has to enter the PIN to use a debit card. Many stores don't even ask one to sign a credit card purchase for small purchases (<$50). Store clerks also very rarely compare the signatures and when they do, it is also very cursory.

Last edited by BellaDL; 01-14-2019 at 07:01 PM..

Old 01-14-2019, 06:44 PM

22,473 posts, read 12,003,345 times
We didn't want a debit card. However, our bank issued us one. We used to have a card for withdrawing cash from an ATM. Then the bank sent us a debit card for that purpose. We weren't happy about that but that's all we use it for---just withdrawing cash.

Old 01-14-2019, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BellaDL View Post
We were in Paris in 2017 and had no problems using our credit cards. My understanding is that RER (regional train) and Paris Metro ticket machines only accept “EC” credit cards that are security-chip enable. So if your CC has the chip, you should not have any problems using it.

One can always buy tickets with any type of credit cards at the ticket counter.

Regarding debit card, we used to use our credit union debit card only to get ATM cash both in the US and abroad. We use the debit card quite often now in Idaho for two reasons. First, our favorite grocery store, Winco, does not accept cc. Secondly, when we pay with the debit card, our local credit union rounds up the amount and automatically put it in a saving account called Central Cents Savings. Of course, the amounts are small but it's free money.

Our credit cards were compromised few times but we have never had problems with our debit cards. If anything, I think that it is easier to steal from a credit card than a debit card because one has to enter the security code to use a debit card. Many stores also don't even ask one to sign a credit card purchase for small purchases (<$50).
I don't have any international experiences but the Target REDcard strangely has only a chip and NO magstripe.

Old 01-14-2019, 06:48 PM

4,537 posts, read 3,757,998 times
I quit using a debit card when mine was compromised at a grocery store in NY, the chain was hacked. That’s when I learned the safeguards are not the same for a debit vs a credit card. I had never known that.

I use my one credit card exclusively, getting a message almost immediately when I use it. I use my credit card the same as cash, paying it in full each cycle. I used to be horrified when people used a credit card for groceries back in the day. I got over that quickly.

https://clark.com/personal-finance-c...id-risk-fraud/

Old 01-14-2019, 06:49 PM

9,511 posts, read 5,446,414 times
I use almost exclusively cash. Debit card only once or twice a week. Usually to get cash. Haven't used a credit card in years, don't have any.

Old 01-14-2019, 06:49 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,549,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by organic_donna View Post
If your debit card gets stolen, the money comes out of your checking account. Until it is resolved, you will have bounced checks and fees to pay. With a credit card, you just close the account and re open with a new number.
Not with my bank-Bank of America. If I report the the the theift within 10 days I am not liable for a cent or fees. And believe me, if my debit card was stolen, I’d know it pretty quick. I’d be issued a new card within 3days and my checking acct number would not be changed

I use my debit card and cash all the time. To the OP; I don’t care how you pay at the check out as
long as you are not that person who writes a check after the bill is totaled.

Old 01-14-2019, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
Not with my bank-Bank of America. If I report the the the theift within 10 days I am not liable for a cent or fees. And believe me, if my debit card was stolen, I’d know it pretty quick. I’d be issued a new card within 3days and my checking acct number would not be changed

I use my debit card and cash all the time. To the OP; I don’t care how you pay at the check out as
long as you are not that person who writes a check after the bill is totaled.
Not even the DATE until "your total is..."

Old 01-14-2019, 06:57 PM

1,781 posts, read 1,208,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post
We didn't want a debit card. However, our bank issued us one. We used to have a card for withdrawing cash from an ATM. Then the bank sent us a debit card for that purpose. We weren't happy about that but that's all we use it for---just withdrawing cash.

Call your bank - ask them to limit the amount you can use for purchases. Then it should be declined if someone got to it anyway. They probably won't let it be "off" but it mabye can be $1 or $10 or whatever you think is useful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement