Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-15-2019, 12:44 PM

35,081 posts, read 31,313,313 times

Advertisements

I rarely use the debit card. I only use it at small businesses I know and trust, or on the rare occasion that I'm in another town, need cash, and don't want to get hit with a $3 ATM fees. Skimmers are just too common. Once that money is out of your checking, it is a bear to get it back. I'd much rather try to cancel a CC charge.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2019, 12:45 PM

36,754 posts, read 14,831,521 times
We've never used them.

Stop feeling "weird."

Old 01-15-2019, 03:08 PM

5,455 posts, read 3,389,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ihatetodust View Post
This came up at work and they think I am weird/old, etc. I see no real point in them and less protection than credit cards (plus no points).
I expected to hear you are strictly cash. Which is an old way of doing business. Believe it or not some stores and institutions no longer accept cash but will accept checks in favor of.

Credit card companies offer more than banks such as identity theft warning services, refund protection, unusual purchase notification, points, air miles, cash back, gas discounts, and more. I use mine for everything I pay out in a month and pay it off with my bank money every month on an automatic payment agreement. That way I am never late and do not pay any interest.

But the downside of cash-less transactions is that your purchases are not secret/personal but monitored and utilized for companies' benefit. You are not anonymous. This information can also be used as evidence in a court of law.

Old 01-15-2019, 03:20 PM

6,364 posts, read 4,190,693 times
Quote:
This came up at work and they think I am weird/old, etc. I see no real point in them and less protection than credit cards (plus no points).
Why not use credit cards that reward you with cash back, 30 days to pay and certain product guaranty protection, it’s a no brainer!

Why have money instantly sucked out of your account, no rewards happening there,

Old 01-15-2019, 03:23 PM

7,480 posts, read 6,262,592 times
Quote:
No you are not. I have never owned a debit card.

Old 01-15-2019, 03:28 PM

6,305 posts, read 4,199,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joee5 View Post
You are not alone OP. cash is king with me. Only use plastic unless I have to, book vacation, rent a car etc. My wife on the other hand.....

We use our credit card as much as possible and earn major points. We have redeemed the reward points to pay for airline tickets, hotels, merchandise, gift cards or cash back.
Key is we don’t buy what we can’t afford ,so we use a credit card for convenience and reward points.

Old 01-15-2019, 03:29 PM

1,781 posts, read 1,208,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYgal1542 View Post
I also look at my account every few days and the balance always matches.

Hey, not picking on you since other said it too but WHY would you want to look at your account all the time???

I am in IT and will tell you absolutely I am SICK TO DEATH of looking at any screen, for anything I can help it.

Old 01-15-2019, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AguaDulce View Post
How do you get cash?

Write a check? Go to the bank and fill out a withdrawal slip?

ATM, not often.

Old 01-15-2019, 03:33 PM

BTW, I am not trying to say anyone SHOULD NOT use a debit. Just if they took my money over and over I would think it crazy not to change behavior in some way. If it works for you fine. . .

Old 01-15-2019, 03:36 PM

5,452 posts, read 4,054,839 times
Credit cards here, paid in full every month. If it is over $5, it gets charged. I think I have a debit card in case I need to use an ATM which I rarely do.

I get Hilton Honors points and have not had to pay for a hotel room in years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement