Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2019, 03:10 PM

3,546 posts, read 3,113,643 times

Advertisements

I didn't find it offensive, but yeah, it's a stereotype. Good thing I can see the humor in stereotypes (sometimes, anyway, LOL). Actually I think they could also have fun making a counterpoint ad. Same concept, but this time it's the older couple are seen doing fun things and the young people are counting pennies or are worried about their hair. And if the idea is that young people mostly go to Europe to get drunk, show the older couple toasting a beautiful sunset over the Alps while eat a gourmet French dinner. Or watching a concert in a stunning concert hall. Or parachuting in the alps, because old people do that too. Meanwhile the young people spend all their time taking selfies in a bar, falling down drunk, maybe not even knowing that they're in Europe.

Last edited by Piney Creek; 01-26-2019 at 03:31 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2019, 03:15 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,128,641 times
While I did not find it offensive, the stereotype was a little annoying. Young people having a good time....old peoplejust waiting to die. Not accurate.

Old 01-26-2019, 03:24 PM

11,049 posts, read 6,637,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
While I did not find it offensive, the stereotype was a little annoying. Young people having a good time....old peoplejust waiting to die. Not accurate.
huh? The oldsters weren't "waiting to die". They were eating and drinking just like the young 'uns who shoulda been on the Eye or bungee-jumping or rappelling the Arc du Triomphe. Anyone any age can go to some bar.

Old 01-26-2019, 03:26 PM

3,546 posts, read 3,113,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
huh? The oldsters weren't "waiting to die". They were eating and drinking just like the young 'uns who shoulda been on the Eye or bungee-jumping or rappelling the Arc du Triomphe. Anyone any age can go to some bar.

So true. And no need to travel to Europe if you're going to spend the whole time in a bar, either.

Old 01-26-2019, 03:35 PM

1,699 posts, read 2,431,979 times
Most (young} people don't leave their county, let alone the state they reside.
They talk about it, but that is it. Gotta get latest SUV....

I can count the folks who get on a vacation on the fingers of one hand. They get maybe 2 weeks off, so what you gonna do anyway?

Old 01-26-2019, 04:26 PM

4,985 posts, read 3,963,948 times
well, that is what rich people do; international travel.
outrage? no sir. post up the videos. i will watch.

Old 01-26-2019, 04:30 PM

6,297 posts, read 4,194,104 times
I can’t say I’m outraged but it certainly misrepresents older travelers and promotes ageist stereotypes about young and older travelers.

Old 01-26-2019, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by corydon View Post
Most (young} people don't leave their county, let alone the state they reside.
They talk about it, but that is it. Gotta get latest SUV....

I can count the folks who get on a vacation on the fingers of one hand. They get maybe 2 weeks off, so what you gonna do anyway?
We saw more in Arizona in 6 months than some of the young people we’ve talked to.

Old 01-26-2019, 04:36 PM

21,539 posts, read 8,722,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piney Creek View Post
I didn't find it offensive, but yeah, it's a stereotype. Good thing I can see the humor in stereotypes (sometimes, anyway, LOL). Actually I think they could also have fun making a counterpoint ad. Same concept, but this time it's the older couple are seen doing fun things and the young people are counting pennies or are worried about their hair. And if the idea is that young people mostly go to Europe to get drunk, show the older couple toasting a beautiful sunset over the Alps while eat a gourmet French dinner. Or watching a concert in a stunning concert hall. Or parachuting in the alps, because old people do that too. Meanwhile the young people spend all their time taking selfies in a bar, falling down drunk, maybe not even knowing that they're in Europe.
I want to see an ad where the older people are visiting a museum or going to a concert while the young travelers are seen getting blind drunk in a pub and throwing up in the alley after getting their pockets picked.

Old 01-26-2019, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piney Creek View Post
THIS!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement