Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2019, 06:31 AM

6,769 posts, read 5,488,755 times

Advertisements

We keep ours in a cabinet. No cold storage here.

I had heard that made them last longer: but i see outdoor battery devices suggest using lithium ion batteries as they will last longer and run better in the cold than regular or alkaline batteries. That seems to be best.

Therefore, i would assume regular and alkaline drain faster if kept cold, and that does appear to be the case.

And like another poster, i can find AA when i need AAA, even though they are all kept together, bought in multipacks. Never seem to have THE OBE we jeed when we need it!!!!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2019, 07:10 AM

3,465 posts, read 4,839,813 times
Since pretty much all of the batteries I have ever bought such as AA, AAA, 9v, etc. have been alkaline and I typically use them within 6 months, no I don't store them in the refrigerator although I knew about cool storage. It doesn't make enough difference with Alkaline to justify using space in the fridge. I just keep them in a drawer.

Old 02-20-2019, 07:29 AM

2,759 posts, read 2,049,703 times
On a shelf or in a drawer. Never heard of putting them in a fridge or freezer.

All of my AA and AAA batteries are the rechargeables. I have 10 AAs and four AAAs stored in two small containers marked "Charged" and "Needs Charging". A separate container holds the non-rechargeable types (9-volt, C, D, and a few different button type batteries.) In the garage, the two lithium batteries for the cordless drill and the leaf blower live on their charging unit whenever not in use.

Old 02-20-2019, 07:58 AM

10,225 posts, read 7,585,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willamette City View Post
We keep ours in a desk drawer in a bag. I've never heard of keeping them in a cool environment. What about electrode corrosion? We have a battery tester so it's pretty easy to check if they are at full power. My guess is that it doesn't make a whole lot of difference.
I've never heard of this. I would think the humidity in the fridge/freezer would work against them.

Old 02-20-2019, 10:45 AM

8,775 posts, read 11,907,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piney Creek View Post
Tonight I realized that for at least 50 years now, I've been keeping unused batteries in my refrigerator. Why? Because my mom always did!

Anyway, after pondering that for awhile I decided to be a rebel and move them over to the freezer. I figure if a refrigerator helps them last a little longer, surely a freezer will help them last even longer than that.

It made me wonder: Am I the only one out there still following a custom like that because your mom did it? And is the idea of storing batteries in a refrigerator (or freezer) still a good idea, or was that long ago debunked? And maybe the most interesting question of all, what do the rest of you do?

I've heard of that but never done it. Mine are in a container in my kitchen 'junk drawer', all sizes.

Old 02-20-2019, 11:19 AM

20,160 posts, read 12,760,547 times
Only food in the freezer. Nothing else.

Old 02-20-2019, 11:22 AM

1,166 posts, read 1,635,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piney Creek View Post
Tonight I realized that for at least 50 years now, I've been keeping unused batteries in my refrigerator. Why? Because my mom always did!

Anyway, after pondering that for awhile I decided to be a rebel and move them over to the freezer. I figure if a refrigerator helps them last a little longer, surely a freezer will help them last even longer than that.

It made me wonder: Am I the only one out there still following a custom like that because your mom did it? And is the idea of storing batteries in a refrigerator (or freezer) still a good idea, or was that long ago debunked? And maybe the most interesting question of all, what do the rest of you do?
Yes, I recall reading an article many years ago that indicated batteries will last longer if kept cold. We've always kept them in the fridge but not the freezer. My mom never did, but then again she never really used batteries for anything but a flashlight.

The article linked by North Beach Person above seems to validate the use of cold storage:

Alkaline batteries stored at "room temperature" self discharge at a rate of less than two percent per year. So normally refrigerating or freezing them will only help maintain their charge by a tiny amount. Hardly worth the effort of chilling them. However, if alkaline batteries are stored at higher temperatures they will start to lose capacity much quicker. At 85 degrees F they only lose about 5% per year, but at 100 degrees they lose 25% per year. So if you live in a very hot climate or are storing your batteries in a very hot location, it may be worthwhile for you to store your alkaline batteries in a refrigerator instead.

NiMH and NiCd batteries self discharge at a MUCH faster rate than alkaline batteries. In fact, at "room temperature" (about 70 degrees F) NiMH and NiCD batteries will self discharge a few percent PER DAY. Storing them at lower temperatures will slow their self discharge rate dramatically. NiMH batteries stored at freezing will retain over 90% of their charge for full month. So it might make sense to store them in a freezer. If you do, it's best to bring them back to room temperature before using them. Even if you don't freeze your NiMH batteries after charging them, you should store them in a cool place to minimize their self discharge.

Old 02-20-2019, 11:26 AM

55 posts, read 29,675 times
I store mine in a kitchen drawer.

From duracell:
https://www.duracell.com/en-us/help/...tor-or-freezer

Old 02-20-2019, 11:28 AM

4,279 posts, read 5,937,011 times
I buy replacement batteries for all life safety/home safety/convenience items (garage door openers, key fobs, and remotes) at the end of each year and do a house wide 100% replacement. I can usually find sales at that time of the year too.

I don't store batteries, or at least try not to have extras on hand.

Last edited by MI-Roger; 02-20-2019 at 11:43 AM..

Old 02-20-2019, 11:57 AM

3,211 posts, read 2,978,672 times
On a shelf.

Since cold makes my camera batteries and car battery drain faster, I don't see a reason to store batteries in a cold place.

Also, Duracell says, "Extreme heat or cold reduces battery performance." https://www.duracell.com/en-us/help/...by-temperature
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement