Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2019, 07:59 AM

5,544 posts, read 8,310,986 times

Advertisements

Hi

Has anyone who has started having back pain found a good mattress that seemed to help them?

I spent the whole day at the VA getting checked, and while I thought my older posturepedic was fine, the doc says that sleeping on my mattress is part of the problem. But he offered no opinion of what is a good mattress but I failed to ask. Should have.

So the question is for me to figure out what is a good mattress so I ask those with lower back pain. ( if it changes the answer arthritis is hitting everywhere and it hurts as I lie down. They upped my meds and did acupuncture but I would like to get at the cause not the symptoms.)

What kind of mattress do you use and does it help?

I am packing for a move so if a new kind of mattress seems like the best thing, I can not bother shipping the current mattress. Just pick one up there.

Mod feel free to move this if need be, I didn't see one specific to this in search. but could have missed it.

thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2019, 08:50 AM

6,294 posts, read 4,191,093 times
We tried several and so far Tuft and Needle mattress is working for me, along with daily back exercises.We rotate the mattress every couple of months. No hard core sales and ridiculous prices, in fact they only have two mattresses in the showroom and when we were ready to buy we got a discount because amazon was having a promo (they sell through amazon) that day.
https://www.tuftandneedle.com/

I have chronic back issues and have to keep it under control, a bad mattress can make it worse, but a good mattress is essential part of back health maintenance. Best of luck

Old 02-23-2019, 09:01 AM

27,074 posts, read 11,841,613 times
I have an inexpensive Serta but it was the hardest I could find....works for me.

Old 02-23-2019, 09:02 AM

20,160 posts, read 12,750,608 times
I don’t have posturepedic mattress, mine are firm. No more back problem. It helps that I did a bit of Pilates and belly dancing. Opening up space in your lower back helps.

Old 02-23-2019, 09:14 AM

3,297 posts, read 3,021,473 times
I have a firm mattress with memory foam and some kind of topper that keeps me from overheating. I had it made by a local mattress firm, Verlo. I love it and I find I can stay in bed longer, rather than having aches and pains make me get up.

I found a couple of other things on YouTube that I found helpful as a side sleeper: to place a pillow between my legs with my legs bent at a right angle, with another pillow under my feet and yet another pillow between my arms. All of that helps me to stay aligned and I feel much, much better in the morning.

Old 02-23-2019, 09:36 AM

2,759 posts, read 2,046,182 times
I went through the back-pain-related Mattress Shopping Hell about eight years ago. Used to have a Kingsdown pillowtop but that became unendurable. Pressure points were my problem but I discovered I just cannot tolerate sleeping on either memory foam or innerspring. Cannot sleep on either a firm or extremely soft mattress so I had to find the right compromise.

Finally I ended up with a Pure Latex Bliss which is 100% talalay latex. The model I really wanted was their "Beautiful" which at the time (2013) was the top of their line but it was also significantly above my budget so I went with their mid-range which is called "Nutrition". It's just a little bit more plush than the medium firmness (six on a scale of 1 to 10 with 1 being the firmest they make.)

Nutrition Mattress - Pure Talalay Bliss

I could add a separate plush topper to mine but even with the low profile box spring the bed is a bit high and a topper would make it even more so. (It's a wood bed, not just a metal frame.)

I also bought their pillow which at the time came in two heights, Low Profile and High Profile. I got the High because I was transitioning from always using two pillows (bad for the back) to something lower so as to minimize strain on my neck and lower back. I see on their website that they now only offer one height in the talalay latex pillow. I love the pillow and would never go back to the standard 'filled' kind.

Sleeping position matters a lot. My orthopedist told me to sleep on my back with a pillow (not too thick) under my knees. The worst thing for me would be to have my legs straight (without a bend in the knees) all night but I cannot side-sleep either. Not only does it cause spinal pain but my doctor explained that it is a recipe for shoulder and knee problems because of the pressure exerted on those two vulnerable areas in that position regardless of mattress. When we get older the joints are less able to tolerate that kind of concentrated pressure for hours on end.

The Pure Latex Bliss mattresses are expensive but worth it IMHO.

Old 02-23-2019, 09:42 AM

529 posts, read 490,098 times
I have the sleep number bed for the last 15 years. For me, it has been the best as I have the firmness set at what works best for me. I do better with it set pretty much in the middle, and can't take a firm setting. Even with that, laying in bed over 6 hours, and I usually pay for it all day.

Old 02-23-2019, 10:01 AM

20,160 posts, read 12,750,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irootoo View Post
I have a firm mattress with memory foam and some kind of topper that keeps me from overheating. I had it made by a local mattress firm, Verlo. I love it and I find I can stay in bed longer, rather than having aches and pains make me get up.

I found a couple of other things on YouTube that I found helpful as a side sleeper: to place a pillow between my legs with my legs bent at a right angle, with another pillow under my feet and yet another pillow between my arms. All of that helps me to stay aligned and I feel much, much better in the morning.
This is what I do too. Does help a bit. But I’m mostly sleep on my back, but I have one soft pillow under my knee.

Old 02-23-2019, 10:17 AM

2,759 posts, read 2,046,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wileykid View Post
Even with that, laying in bed over 6 hours, and I usually pay for it all day.
So it's not just me!! I'm the same way. If I sleep for between 5 and 6 hours my back is fine when I get up. Six seems to be the "witching hour", lol because if I am in bed for between 6 and 7 hours my lower back will be tender/sore for the next several hours after I get up but will gradually ease up. If by chance I sleep for 7 hours or more it will be tender for most of the day but usually okay by evening ... unless it's the very rare night when I sleep for 8 hours in which case it's tender all day.

My doctor said that I probably do not move around much during sleep (that's true) and so the natural tendency of muscles to stiffen up as a result of inaction is contributing to, if not the cause of, the morning soreness. It makes sense considering that the fewer "still" hours overnight, the less discomfort I have when waking.

Old 02-23-2019, 10:23 AM

1,555 posts, read 2,518,860 times
I use a firm Serta W/ 2 1/2 " memory foam topper, this combo is 10 yrs old.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement