Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2019, 09:34 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,687,736 times

Advertisements

I couldn't navigate the world when I was 18. Why would I do any better now?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2019, 09:59 PM

7,381 posts, read 12,673,025 times
There's a wonderful book called Replay by Ken Grimwood about a man in his 40s who dies and wakes up back in his 18-ish body, with all his knowledge intact. And he realizes that he can change his life and profit from the knowledge--but it comes at a price. And so forth. A wise and thought-provoking book.

Old 02-27-2019, 12:20 AM

13,656 posts, read 9,717,813 times
I'd be devastated, as this would entail reliving all of those decades of bygone life. Far better would be the reverse transformation, to awake one unassuming morning suddenly in deep old age, having skipped overnight the intervening years.

Old 03-01-2019, 10:01 PM

7,783 posts, read 6,087,442 times
I would probably figure out a way to fake being truly young. In private I would still be able to take advantage of all the knowledge and experience that I have garnered. But at the same time I am starting to think about that other thread about regretting not having more sex when I was younger. I could make up for a lot of missed opportunities!

Old 03-01-2019, 10:21 PM

3,402 posts, read 3,577,158 times
For me no. But for people who was born back in the early 50s or 60s might be some problem with them because they might not be so tech savvy, and I completely understand them. However, if they have the mind of 18 years old learning ability, then maybe they can catch up, or else is pretty much hopeless. Just saying....

Old 03-01-2019, 10:43 PM

7,783 posts, read 6,087,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nybklyn View Post
For me no. But for people who was born back in the early 50s or 60s might be some problem with them because they might not be so tech savvy, and I completely understand them. However, if they have the mind of 18 years old learning ability, then maybe they can catch up, or else is pretty much hopeless. Just saying....
I was born in 1950, but I worked in some degree of technology from the time I hit 21 and was in the AF, so, by staying in or near high tech throughout my life it never was totally over my head. Take a twenty something nowadays and ask him or her to make a call on a rotary phone and watch the fun.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oHNEzndgiFI

Last edited by Cruzincat; 03-01-2019 at 10:57 PM..

Old 03-01-2019, 11:30 PM

Location: Forest Service Cabin-90% of the yr. Sis & I inherited it and I bought her out.
175 posts, read 125,290 times
I'm not sure there is much difference between a Senior citizen and an 18 year old anymore.

Just read the thread asking if you regret not sleeping around more.

Whether spouses would appreciate their loved one's responses is of no concern.

In this day and age, there are so many dysfunctional people who are anti-family, anti-social, and have a lack of conscious to who they hurt.
Failed marriages, failed relationships with family, it's all about them.

Not much different than a typical teenage mindset.

Old 03-02-2019, 01:11 AM

3,433 posts, read 3,754,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newne View Post
Say tomorrow you woke up and you were 18 again, but you still had all your memories. Would you have much trouble navigating today's world?
This is a silly question.

Old 03-02-2019, 03:16 AM

10,420 posts, read 14,605,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newne View Post
Say tomorrow you woke up and you were 18 again, but you still had all your memories. Would you have much trouble navigating today's world?
I could navigate the world, but it would be miserable. I can't imagine being treated as a teenager today. OTOH, if I woke up with all of my memories in 1961, it would be fine. If I knew that I were 4-F, I'd prefer 1951—just in time for the uranium boom.

Old 03-02-2019, 05:27 AM

5,215 posts, read 6,147,251 times
Most of what I am writing here is in tongue in cheek

If I was to go back to 18 I would most likely become an outcast amongst my peers.

I was born in 1960 and I had a really great childhood. I loved high school, working on cars, dating and hustling for money with after school jobs. I was lucky enough to also have a great group of friends that was tight knit up until our thirties. We loved doing things outdoors and as we aged the ski trips, cookouts, concerts and many other things continued.

I look at my apprentices each year that I get a new group and they range from 18-27 and I see such differences in how their lives are. For many they have never held a job having the luxury of both parents working. A car is is a device to get them from point a to point b. They don't have any interest in tinkering with them. Not that they really could like I did. I wasn't in the right time frame for video games, but these kids love them along with their cell phones.......and dating. These kids are using dating apps, there are no house party's, concerts or other gatherings to meet women. Just a swipe a couple of dates and then ghosting which along with gender reveal party's and destination weddings are something I never had to deal with.

For me I would feel lonely, social and group interaction were a big part of my teenage years even with after school jobs our crew at McDonalds were all from the same high school.

I could do it but like I said for the most part the things some of us loved during our teenage years would be gone!

I am not bashing the younger generation as each generation is driven by what socioeconomics along with technology exists at that time. We are a product of our time period and upbringing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement