Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-02-2019, 06:07 AM

3,546 posts, read 3,115,713 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Raking autumn leaves into a "town" with sidewalks and houses, and then eventually raking them all into the big pile in the middle of the backyard in which you would bury potatoes before setting the pile on fire, and then after it was burned down, picking out the potatoes with a stick and eating them with butter and salt.

There was never in the history of the world a better meal.

I thought we were the only people who did this! A great fall memory, indeed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2019, 08:53 AM

4,188 posts, read 3,401,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Raking autumn leaves into a "town" with sidewalks and houses, and then eventually raking them all into the big pile in the middle of the backyard in which you would bury potatoes before setting the pile on fire, and then after it was burned down, picking out the potatoes with a stick and eating them with butter and salt.

There was never in the history of the world a better meal.
Never heard of this before, but it sounds AWESOME.

Old 06-02-2019, 09:15 AM

11,523 posts, read 14,656,371 times
We used to collect chestnuts and have a great time doing it. Some on the ground and some we'd knock down. We'd shine them up and save them, play w/ them as young kids.

Old 06-02-2019, 12:31 PM

88,588 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanny Goat View Post
We used to collect chestnuts and have a great time doing it. Some on the ground and some we'd knock down. We'd shine them up and save them, play w/ them as young kids.
So did we! Horse chestnuts, we called the round brown ones. We poked holes in them to try to make horse chestnut necklaces. Forgot about that.

Old 06-02-2019, 01:25 PM

446 posts, read 396,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipaper View Post
Encyclopedias, especially Britannica, and the door to door salesperson that sold them.
The Fuller Brush man.

Old 06-02-2019, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
Food.

Meat came wrapped up in butcher paper, not on a styrofoam tray and covered in clear plastic.

Vegetables came fresh from the garden or canned (later home frozen) so there was no packaging, just the container your mom had put it in. Then she would wash and use it next year.

Popcorn. Didn't come already popped or in some aluminum container. I don't know how it came but we popped it in a popcorn popper with a mesh basket and a long handle, over the stove.
We bought popcorn kernels that came in a jar. You put a saucepan on the stove, melted a lump of butter in it, then added the kernels, put the lid on the pan, and slid it back and forth across the burner (electric) until the kernels started to pop. As they got done they pushed the lid up, and that was how you knew they were done. Poured the popcorn into a big bowl and added more butter, and salt. Yum.

Old 06-02-2019, 01:35 PM

5,853 posts, read 5,281,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Size18 View Post
... Smoking in stores

... Wearing hair rollers under a plastic shower cap and going out shopping that way

... Dome hair dryers

... Rubber pants and diaper pins

I remember smoking in courtrooms, planes and in hospitals.

Cat

Old 06-02-2019, 01:39 PM

5,853 posts, read 5,281,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saskia Calico View Post
We bought popcorn kernels that came in a jar. You put a saucepan on the stove, melted a lump of butter in it, then added the kernels, put the lid on the pan, and slid it back and forth across the burner (electric) until the kernels started to pop. As they got done they pushed the lid up, and that was how you knew they were done. Poured the popcorn into a big bowl and added more butter, and salt. Yum.
I STILL make popcorn on the stove-but we have a gas stove. I don't use butter in the pan-only a bit of oil. There have been a few times when EVERY KERNEL POPPED!!!! I am GOOD!!!

Cat

Old 06-02-2019, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cebuan View Post
Stores closed at 5:30, stayed open Friday night until 9, all the farmers came to town to do their week's shopping. Drug stores opened Sunday morning tilll noon, after that, only the bowling alley open Sunday afternoon.

The bowling alley bar got the first tv, 1949. Dad, who never went to bars, took me down to see it, we stayed about ten minutes. All I saw was a taking head.

Mom phoned the grocery store with her order, which was delivered in a motorcycle with a sidecar. If nobody home, it was brought in the back door, and perishables put in the ice-box. Grocery store phone number was 88. Paid the charge account balance end of the month. No shopping carts. Grocer would get thins down off a shelf, using a stick if they were too high to reach, and catch them as they fell. Hence the baseball expression for a lazy fly ball, "can o' corn".

We got an electric fridge when I was five. Before that, the ice-man came around every few days with a big block of ice to cool the interior of a box that looked like a fridge. The ice man also delivered coal in the winter.
My father, who was born in 1912, always referred to our fridge as the icebox. He and my mother were tickled when, in the 1960s, under the influence of the Beatles and other English people, I started referring to our refrigerator as the fridge. Most of my friends today use that word.

Old 06-02-2019, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatwomanofV View Post
I STILL make popcorn on the stove-but we have a gas stove. I don't use butter in the pan-only a bit of oil. There have been a few times when EVERY KERNEL POPPED!!!! I am GOOD!!!

Cat

Cool. I always wondered how people made popcorn on a gas stove.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement