Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2019, 11:00 AM

4,483 posts, read 9,294,617 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by steiconi View Post
I think we copy a lot of things from our parents and only notice the ones that we don't like.

For instance, I put my dishes in the cabinet to the right of the kitchen sink, just like mom did. It might be more convenient to put them on the left side, over the dishwasher, but that feels weird. No problem with this.

Unless you have very long arms, you don't want the dishes right above the dishwasher. That's the only cupboard I have available for them, and I have to set the dishes on the counter, close the dishwasher, then put the dishes away.

I have noticed some things about myself that remind me of my mother, but I notice them even more in my sister.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2019, 01:49 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,167,759 times
What I’ve noticed is when I am mentally busy NOT being like my mother, i am unconsciously being just like her in other ways.

You want to be around someone who acts just like mom? Be around my DH. He and his sister are practically carbon copies, in terms of beliefs, temperament and likelihood to change.

But oddly, I can’t think if any recurring mannerisms.

Old 04-04-2019, 03:35 PM

13,284 posts, read 8,455,196 times
My mom had mannerisms that I have found comforting. The way she tilted her head when listening. Or how she'd nod off...
I do that as I age. It's nice to know I got some lovely traits from her.
Wish I had her wisdom and intellect.
Genetically I got the wide hips..my uncle often says..as skinny as you are...those hips confirm your from the maternal side of the family...

Old 04-04-2019, 03:40 PM

5,544 posts, read 8,317,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodysbusiness View Post
My mom used to do this really weird thing with one of her hands when she was telling a story - hard to describe - a kind of gesturing with the hands.

I have caught myself doing this weird hand gesture recently, and it is freaking me out.

I always viewed it as odd and unattractive, and now I am doing it, and it seems to be unconscious.

I think I have started doing it in old age, is why I am posting in this forum.

I would guess there is no cure - just odd and weird.
Are you having problems with word finding or word substitution? If so, hand gestures are a symptom of that issue because you are trying to talk around the word or come up with the word. If so, seek medical treatment which may help with the gestures.

If you are not and it is just a habit, then do try to break the habit.

Old 04-04-2019, 03:42 PM

29,266 posts, read 16,753,924 times
I have mannerisms that my mom had and if I don't like them, I just become more aware. My mom was very giving and I believe I have that trait and I live pretty meagerly but love to help others with healing if they are open to my ideas on what has worked for me.. Now my dad is another story.

Old 04-04-2019, 04:01 PM

538 posts, read 539,001 times
Was she Italian? Could explain a lot!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aHZwYObN264&app=desktop

Old 04-04-2019, 06:25 PM

599 posts, read 498,865 times
There has to be some genetic component to some of these oddities. My half brother is the product of our mom and his father, my stepfather. For the first 35 years of my brother's life, he and his father walked nothing alike. His dad passed 16 years ago. Fast forward to today, and my half-bro walks exactly like his father did at 50 YO. Nothing too dramatic, just an odd little hitch in his stride that is extremely identifiable.

Old 04-04-2019, 07:17 PM

2,776 posts, read 3,249,611 times
the only way to know it's genetic and not subconsiously learned is to find your long lost adopted sibling and see if he/she does it too.

I wouldn't be surprised if it's genetic. I took a video with a selfie stick a few months ago and when I watched it again, all I could see was my dad.

Old 04-05-2019, 07:40 AM

8,005 posts, read 7,224,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodysbusiness View Post
It's just that it popped up suddenly, with no warning!

When I am telling a story, I see my right hand doing this weird thing (and no, it is not obscene, but that made me lol) - and I am like: "WHY am I doing that?")

The REASON it bothers me is because it looks really affected and is what I associate as an "old lady" type of thing to do.

When my mom did it, I thought it looked so weird and ridiculous!
Maybe hold something in that hand when you're in a situation that it might happen. You can still wave your arm but you'll be reminded when you do by the object in your hand. Should be easy to reprogram your behavior in short order.

Old 04-05-2019, 07:47 AM

6,617 posts, read 6,545,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
They say all women eventually turn into their moms. I have always looked like my mom, and my voice/laugh sounds like hers too. It's not all bad.
The older I get, the more I think I look like my Mom too. It makes me feel old and I SO dislike getting older.

Time's a ticking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement