Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2019, 05:36 AM

3,546 posts, read 3,114,934 times

Advertisements

Saw this article today about two of the competitors at our local Ironman toady, who are 69 and 79. Is it just me, or is this becoming more and more commonplace where you live, too? It seems like every year there are more and more people over 65 (and often well into their 70s and even 80s) who are competing in really challenging events.

Wondering what the rest of you think of this. Is it just an oddity, or a statement about the changing nature of retirement these days?

https://wydaily.com/local-news/2019/...-ironman-70-3/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2019, 05:45 AM

4,717 posts, read 3,268,177 times
Definitely more common, especially among those who have been doing them all their lives.

I've never done anything that crazy although at 66 I'm still in the local corporate athletic competition as a retiree on a previous employer's team. I was a bit disgruntled when they got rid of the "sprint" triathlon, which is a 1/2-mile swim, 12 miles on the bicycle and a 5K. (They were getting concerned every year about bacteria levels in the lake.) I liked that distance; it left me pleasantly worn out and I usually went home and took a nap, but didn't have any lasting painful effects. To me, marathons and Ironman Triathlons leave you feeling like you're gonna die as you get near the end. Too extreme for me, but I'll keep my 20-mile bike rides. Next month is my first try at the Duathlon- a 5K, 12 miles on the bike and another 5K.

Use it or lose it!

Old 05-05-2019, 06:24 AM

35,071 posts, read 31,293,790 times
It's largely medical advances and lifestyle choices.

Old 05-05-2019, 07:08 AM

3,079 posts, read 1,544,801 times
Dont know about ironman but there are plenty of horse people esp women riding in their 60s, 70s, and 80s. Some are still competing, teaching, cleaning stalls and running farms. They arent sitting in their rocking chairs waiting for the grim reaper. And yes some have had knee replacements etc but many dont see a dr very often. Thats probably why they are healthy and active.

Old 05-05-2019, 12:01 PM

5,252 posts, read 4,675,878 times
The last seventy five years has brought an entirely new kind of employment to the fore, many people in the tech development fields have been afforded a very limited physical expectation in their work and it shows when they age into retirement in very good physical shape. We don't see old roofers running marathons nor do we see too many people, regardless of vocation, who are in great condition in their old age. I've often laughed at the photos of the "beautiful couples" in the AARP ads for senior housing, they appear to be in their forties with dyed silver hair, bouncing around on the tennis court like a twenty something.

I applaud those who can and do get in shape and stay in shape in their twilight years, but the constant push to be acting young, is getting old. I live on a golf course and see quite a number of old folks heading to the tee, limping, or just slow walking, it's good to see them out and about, but it's also testimony to the fact that we all wear out eventually. And I do see the rare old bird who looks like he/she could drive a ball onto the moon, they are very upright, fit, and walk with a briskness which speaks to their good genes or a soft life..

Old 05-05-2019, 12:28 PM

8,238 posts, read 6,580,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
It's largely medical advances and lifestyle choices.
I don't think it's as simple or as concise or as predictive as medical advances and lifestyle choices. Not at all. There are many additional factors. Genetics, for one.

And people can be a non-smoker, a non drinker (or light drinker), eat very healthy, have lived a healthy life, and do lots of exercise and still not be able to run marathons (or run at all), be in Ironman competitions, be in Triathlons nor compete in other types of athletic contests nor do the more/most challenging forms of exercise/competition in all cases nor at all.

It isn't just a choice.

Also, ever hear of osteoarthritis which is rampant in large numbers of older people.

As to the OP's idea of maybe it's more of an oddity - I agree it's more of an oddity.

(Yes Mr 5150, we know that you are surrounded (as you state) by some or a good number of seniors who ski and run and do sports in eastern California)

Last edited by matisse12; 05-05-2019 at 12:54 PM..

Old 05-05-2019, 12:34 PM

1,013 posts, read 725,242 times
I have a neighbor (67) who competed on American Ninja Warrior. She goes to the same trainer I do and she is strong! She was active when younger, kind of let it go, then got back into fitness the last few years. She has aged beautifully, without any obvious plastic surgery, has lovely gray hair, and is really an inspiration.

Old 05-05-2019, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLfan1977 View Post

I have a neighbor (67) who competed on American Ninja Warrior. She goes to the same trainer I do and she is strong! She was active when younger, kind of let it go, then got back into fitness the last few years. She has aged beautifully, without any obvious plastic surgery, has lovely gray hair, and is really an inspiration.
How does anecdotal evidence of one senior - just one and you happen to know her - apply?

Old 05-05-2019, 12:44 PM

3,546 posts, read 3,114,934 times
In some ways I see your points, but FWIW my experience has been different.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jertheber View Post
The last seventy five years has brought an entirely new kind of employment to the fore, many people in the tech development fields have been afforded a very limited physical expectation in their work and it shows when they age into retirement in very good physical shape.

I agree that more people are aging into retirement in good physical shape, but I don't think a desk job is the reason. Actually, I think the opposite is true. Desk jobs are bad for your body. fortunately more and more people are spending time after work going to a gym or doing exercise of some sort. The ones who don't pay a big price after years of sitting at a desk.

Quote:
We don't see old roofers running marathons nor do we see too many people, regardless of vocation, who are in great condition in their old age.

How do you know what former careers people had when you see them running in a marathon? Curious what you are basing this assumption on. Do you know many roofers? I do, actually, as result of my career in firefighting. The ones I know seem to be in pretty good shape. By the way, firefighters also do physical things every day (and sometimes VERY physical things) but it's not like I wore out my body in my career (well, not completely, LOL). Even after retirement I'm still out there on the courts, going to yoga classes, riding a bike and working out at the gym.

Quote:
nor do we see too many people, regardless of vocation, who are in great condition in their old age.

Again, I guess we disagree. Like I said in the OP, we had an Ironman competition today, and this is in Williamsburg, an area that caters to retirees. You don't even have things like that in a city like this if you don't have senior citizens who are in good condition. According to the article, at least 2 were over 65, and there were many more than that in the 50-65 age range. Of course, maybe I just live in an area when seniors like to stay active.

Last edited by Piney Creek; 05-05-2019 at 01:04 PM..

Old 05-05-2019, 12:50 PM

It's well-known that many people who have worked in the construction trades and other similar physical jobs like construction often need to retire early at 55 due to their bodies having worn out from physical labor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement