Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2020, 10:51 AM

1,465 posts, read 1,082,490 times

Advertisements

Saw this article today https://www.ajc.com/lifestyles/retir...joXhI75spmiwK/

From comments in this forum, I'd say everyone here pretty much has them all covered.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2020, 05:46 PM

30,499 posts, read 16,206,257 times
yup- but they didn't mention anything creative as in making something.

woodworking, needlework, writing. etc.

strange.

Old 09-09-2020, 05:57 PM

1,465 posts, read 1,082,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAhippo View Post

strange.
I thought the same thing since for many people, Quilting, Knitting etc are retirement hobbies.

Old 09-09-2020, 06:07 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,694 posts, read 58,012,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAhippo View Post

strange.
agree, very strange that there is not some classification for "creative as in making something".

Including art in various forms.

Many have been waiting yrs to 'express their creative talent'.

Seems like a very short list (only what the editor needed to fill some space).

Old 09-09-2020, 06:18 PM

7,899 posts, read 7,109,848 times
This is just plain garbage. I hate to read articles for retirees cranked out for cheap by a know nothing, 20 something. Excuse me, I see she is a digital content provider. That is supposed to mean something, I guess.

Old 09-09-2020, 06:32 PM

6,756 posts, read 8,576,453 times
i own a ranch. Got no time for hobbies.

Currently building a new garage by myself so I'll have room for my blacksmith shop, and a place to rebuild equipment.
I'll have to build another shop for my woodworking. Need some room since i build custom furniture. Next will be a root cellar since I raise most of my food. I'm raising cattle for meat and dairy, but I'll need to build a dairy for making cheese and butter. A specific dairy is easier to keep clean, and the root cellar will be a good place to age my cheese.

I hunt and fish, so a smokehouse is on the agenda too.

I've got chickens and will be starting a rabbitry soon. Since i gather a lot of wild plants for food and medicine, I need room for processing and storing the products.

I do like playing my fiddle in the evenings when I can.

Leatherwork, training Dogs i raise and working draft horses.

Just don't have time for hobbies since i retired...

Old 09-09-2020, 06:38 PM

17,340 posts, read 11,268,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTSilvertip View Post
i own a ranch. Got no time for hobbies.

Currently building a new garage by myself so I'll have room for my blacksmith shop, and a place to rebuild equipment.
I'll have to build another shop for my woodworking. Need some room since i build custom furniture. Next will be a root cellar since I raise most of my food. I'm raising cattle for meat and dairy, but I'll need to build a dairy for making cheese and butter. A specific dairy is easier to keep clean, and the root cellar will be a good place to age my cheese.

I hunt and fish, so a smokehouse is on the agenda too.

I've got chickens and will be starting a rabbitry soon. Since i gather a lot of wild plants for food and medicine, I need room for processing and storing the products.

I do like playing my fiddle in the evenings when I can.

Leatherwork, training Dogs i raise and working draft horses.

Just don't have time for hobbies since i retired...
But aren't all of these things hobbies? You certainly don't need to do any of them do you in retirement? You do it because you enjoy spending time doing it and it gives you satisfaction.

Old 09-09-2020, 06:42 PM

30,499 posts, read 16,206,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
But aren't all of these things hobbies? You certainly don't need to do any of them do you in retirement? You do it because you enjoy spending time doing it and it gives you satisfaction.
sounds like it to me too.

I envy your fiddle playing.

Old 09-09-2020, 06:54 PM

11,085 posts, read 17,532,479 times
I'd love to be able to make things with wood like my dad did. But all I end up making is a mess and a lot of sawdust.
I just leave the tools alone and go fishing. Always say if I come home with fish on a stringer, my wife will ask who gave them to me. lol

Old 09-09-2020, 06:59 PM

6,756 posts, read 8,576,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
This was written kind of tounge in cheek. I retired 7 years early, and worked all my life. I tried Sitting around watching TV, but it got old quickly. My folks always said if you don't keep moving, you rust.

I don't have to do all this, I'm doing what I love to do. It's a bit much to call hobbies, more a way of life.
I love building my ranch. I figure I've got nearly 30 years to get it built before cashing in my chips, and i intend to create my dream ranch before I go.

It isn't really work when you love what you're doing, but operating a ranch is a bit more than what i would consider a hobby.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement