Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2019, 04:17 PM

4,279 posts, read 5,938,202 times

Advertisements

I was planning to post this as a hypothetical situation, but Hey! It happened to us today just as written below.

Lets assume you were planning to have a small scope Yard / Garage Sale to rid yourself of some unused furniture.
And the day or night before your planned Sale Date you learn the Home Improvement Contractor your hired to replace all your windows will be on-site the next day.
So what do you do?
  1. In your wildest thoughts would you ever consider staging your Yard Sale in the next door neighbor's front yard after they left for work?
  2. And would you plan this sale to be on the same day as a Quadruple Garbage Day? Garbage, Yard Waste, Recycleables Pick-up, and Brush/Limbs for the Chipper?

My wife came home at lunch today to let the dog out because we both had late meetings which would delay our normal afternoon arrivals, and discovered the neighbor's Yard Sale in OUR Front Yard!

Oh well, time to go outside and move the front sprinkler, now that the neighbor has moved his van from in front of our home. Grrr......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2019, 04:23 PM

14,267 posts, read 6,958,342 times
Who has a yard sale on a Wednesday? That puts a big hole in your story.

Added: was it really a yard sale or was the neighbor selling some items via Craigs list? Sometimes people don't want the buyer to know where they live so they put the stuff out between houses.

Old 09-18-2019, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ansible90 View Post
Who has a yard sale on a Wednesday? That puts a big hole in your story.
I never said they weren't Clueless about many things, but until today they had never done anything like this.
They keep their interior garage lights ON 24 hours per day, and they did the same with the exterior light next to the garage pedestrian door which shone into our bedroom. Until I used a gloved hand to loosen the hot incandescent lamp 8 years ago. Still not illuminated!

Last edited by MI-Roger; 09-18-2019 at 05:10 PM..

Old 09-18-2019, 04:30 PM

4,985 posts, read 3,967,503 times
could this be boiled down to one question?

Old 09-18-2019, 04:38 PM

My wife said over the weekend that she would like to move, and specifically mentioned a home on a small lake with a pleasant view. Build a small home just for the 2 of us, and enjoy our final 20-30 years there.

I think I found the perfect lakefront lot last year. Still for sale! The opposing three sides of the lake are wetlands or steep embankment that cannot be economically developed, and the lake is one of a string of 5 lakes. The next closest lake is "Trolling Motors Only", this lake can use larger motors but is too small for crazy stuff. Those boats need to travel through the canals to the other three lakes. Located about 40 miles away in the area where I spent the first 18 years of my life. I don't have an http copy of lot photos to post.

Old 09-18-2019, 04:45 PM

1,204 posts, read 935,624 times
Roger, come to beaver island! Think how blissfully hard it will be for family to visit you there!

Old 09-18-2019, 04:56 PM

25,580 posts, read 56,488,147 times
Well, now I've heard everything - and I believe it. There is no limit to human ingenuity when it comes to disrespect for the property of others.

My neighborhood has been changing the past five years or so as older neighbors die off and homes are sold to 30ish couples w/small kids. Boundaries??? They never heard of 'em. Not for parking (in front of my house when there is plenty of space in front of theirs), or where their kids can play, or obstruction of public walks - right now a swing overhangs the public walk to the house north of me.

I resorted to planting 12 arbor vitae along my front yard north property line last year to keep kids and balls in their own yard - seeing as their parents had bought this property w/no back yard, expecting our adjoining front yards would be a perfect playground for their three kids and their friends. Of course, they never asked. Unbelievable gall. We became the bad guys for asking that boundaries be respected - both for parking and soccer/football/baseball - you name it, they never heard of ball they don't have.

But - gotta say......those twelve trees made quite a statement for the entire neighborhood - a wake up call, as it were. This year, of late, everyone is much better about where they park - and the kids are now playing ball so balls fly in the yard of the neighbor to the north of them. ...lol...

So, in answer to your questions, yes, it is probably time to look for a more appropriate environment where others will not infringe on your space.

That I am increasingly surrounded by people not like me - and that I am getting older - is causing me to consider a move. No clue where to, as yet.

Old 09-18-2019, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariadne22 View Post
Well, now I've heard everything - and I believe it. There is no limit to human ingenuity when it comes to disrespect for the property of others.

My neighborhood has been changing the past five years or so as older neighbors die off and homes are sold to 30ish couples w/small kids. Boundaries??? They never heard of 'em. Not for parking (in front of my house when there is plenty of space in front of theirs), or where their kids can play, or obstruction of public walks - right now a swing overhangs the public walk to the house north of me.

So, in answer to your questions, yes, it is probably time to look for a more appropriate environment where others will not infringe on your space.

That I am increasingly surrounded by people not like me - and that I am getting older - is causing me to consider a move. No clue where to, as yet.
I understand your pain - all too well!

Old 09-18-2019, 05:55 PM

7,118 posts, read 4,536,107 times
That’s very bizarre! None of my neighbors act like that. If I found myself in their predicament I would ask my neighbors and if told no cancel the sale.

Old 09-18-2019, 06:23 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,159,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
That’s very bizarre! None of my neighbors act like that. If I found myself in their predicament I would ask my neighbors and if told no cancel the sale.
OP, I agree.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement