Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2019, 04:24 PM

794 posts, read 1,861,301 times

Advertisements

As we get older and have so many life experiences, what "a-ha" moments have you had. I'm still waiting for quite a few; It's sad we/I will not be around for some of the more notable A-Ha moments like cure for cancer, flying cars, space-time continuum, replicators, transporters, etc.....lol

I did finally learn the "inside story" of why my parents divorced when I was 10yo. That was an A-Ha moment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2019, 05:57 PM

5,853 posts, read 5,281,784 times
I had one when I was working on my undergraduate honor's thesis. I was working on the intro and I just couldn't get it. I was pulling my hair out and then I had what I referred to it as my "Light bulb moment." I wrote just a few sentences, called my advisor (who is now my husband) to read them to him. He said, "Yes! Now run with it." The rest of the intro was a lot easier to write at that point.

Another moment I had AT THE SAME TIME as Hubby. We were doing the renovations to the house. We were in the middle of designing the kitchen and we were trying to figure out the broom closet (I wanted a broom closet). We were talking about buying a cabinet for that purpose. But, then I thought about the end of the hall. They had to cut part of the built-in cabinets to move a pipe that originally stuck out in the middle of the hall. We were in the car and I said, "Oh" just as I figured out that would be a great place for the broom closet. Before I could say anything, Hubby said, "We could put the broom closet at the end of the hall where the pipe is." I told him I was JUST going to say that. I don't know if he read my mind or I read his mind. But, like I said we were thinking the exact same thing at the exact same time. (We do that a lot.) So I got my broom closet.

Cat

Old 10-01-2019, 06:59 AM

7,044 posts, read 6,295,966 times
Mine was after my last fall from the ice and snow in Minnesota. When I finally got myself picked up and inside I realized I no longer had to live there and could move somewhere warm.

It still took months before I chose Arizona, but that was my last winter in Minnesota.

Old 10-01-2019, 09:20 AM

15,252 posts, read 12,964,014 times
My cat died three weeks ago, after a mercifully brief illness. She had a full life, made some friends and a few enemies, too. The last three years she had us all to herself. She never got tired of that. I'm sad she's gone but glad she was able to experience so much, including a move to AZ.

Recently, the spouse was reminiscing about our last trip to London as if it were yesterday. I told him it was twenty years ago. We both realized we could leave today, if we wanted.

Old 10-01-2019, 09:24 AM

35,077 posts, read 31,313,313 times
I'm 33. A high school acquaintance of mine two years older than me became a grandparent this week. My first girlfriend out of high school had an eight year old daughter that I took to school on occasion. She's 23 now with a toddler. I had my XM radio on in the car this morning and the DJ was talking about how a particular album is nearing its twenty year anniversary. I remember buying that CD when I was a freshman in high school - makes me feel old.

Old 10-01-2019, 12:33 PM

11,129 posts, read 9,764,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
I'm 33. A high school acquaintance of mine two years older than me became a grandparent this week. My first girlfriend out of high school had an eight year old daughter that I took to school on occasion. She's 23 now with a toddler. I had my XM radio on in the car this morning and the DJ was talking about how a particular album is nearing its twenty year anniversary. I remember buying that CD when I was a freshman in high school - makes me feel old.
Imagine how I felt when they said a particular song was 50 years old and I said that's the first "record" I ever bought! It was a 45 and I was 10 years old when I bought it. Sure made me feel old.

My biggest "Well that explains it!" moment was when I got the DNA results this year (at 60 y.o.) and found out my semi-estranged, now dead dad was not my bio-dad. I'm going to meet my new half-siblings next month.

Old 10-01-2019, 12:39 PM

3,211 posts, read 2,978,672 times
I'm from a very large family, and grew up in a house full of siblings. Dad was a military man with a big, booming, authoritative voice. When he wanted us to obey him, he'd bark out orders to us like we were recruits in need of training. We resented being treated like recruits and often complained to Mom about the way he treated us, but she thought that he was teaching us discipline, and that was a good thing.

Every once in a while, on a weekend, Dad would bark orders to each of us individually, giving us long and complicated outdoor chores to do which would take several hours to complete. Most of the time, these chores didn't even make sense, like moving a pile of rocks from one place to another place for no reason. We hated this, and complained bitterly about it. Even after we were all grown and looking back on our childhood, my siblings and I would shake our heads at the memory of Dad treating us like this.

A few years ago, I had an "aha!" moment when I realized that Dad had sent us out of the house to do chores like this because he and Mom wanted alone time, so they could be a couple without a bunch of kids interrupting them.

Oh.

Old 10-01-2019, 04:10 PM

4,985 posts, read 3,967,503 times
three, at various ages:

1. learned why my tom-boy best friend was just that. she joined the Navy and retired an O-5.
2. when i saw needle-steroids (the only way to do it back then, and the NCAA said nothing). stronger by syringe.
3. after two years into our marriage, i began to wear my wedding ring (i hate rings!) as a first line of defense.

Old 10-01-2019, 10:42 PM

19,719 posts, read 16,842,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
My cat died three weeks ago, after a mercifully brief illness. She had a full life, made some friends and a few enemies, too. The last three years she had us all to herself. She never got tired of that. I'm sad she's gone but glad she was able to experience so much, including a move to AZ.

Recently, the spouse was reminiscing about our last trip to London as if it were yesterday. I told him it was twenty years ago. We both realized we could leave today, if we wanted.

Sorry about your kitty. That is always tough. Been there numerous times.

I have had a few A-HA moments, especially after serious surgery. Just getting out of the hospital and being able to walk around without tubes hooked up to you is a wonderful thing. Makes you enjoy every day you are healthy.

Old 10-02-2019, 05:18 AM

8,272 posts, read 8,655,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
Imagine how I felt when they said a particular song was 50 years old and I said that's the first "record" I ever bought! It was a 45 and I was 10 years old when I bought it. Sure made me feel old.

My biggest "Well that explains it!" moment was when I got the DNA results this year (at 60 y.o.) and found out my semi-estranged, now dead dad was not my bio-dad. I'm going to meet my new half-siblings next month.
Many people A-Ha moments after getting a DNA test. I'm sure some parents have some explaining to do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement