Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2019, 05:00 AM

515 posts, read 360,321 times

Advertisements

I recently took a 4 day weekend from work. It was great, not having to deal with things (even though I handled several things via e-mail). The first day back was dealing with a bunch of stuff that went on while I was off. And the only work days I was away were Friday and Monday! I am looking forward to retirement but I wonder about packing up, moving, selling my house, etc. right off the bat. I was thinking how nice it would be just to take 6 months, get used to retirement, and do nothing for awhile. Kind of transition into retirement if you will. I plan on moving but I am starting to wonder what the rush is. Why do it all right after retirement? How many of you took some time to just decompress after pulling the plug?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2019, 08:20 AM

18,728 posts, read 33,402,036 times
I would have except I was on a timeline for my house in Colorado to be built and I had to go from house to house because of my several dogs. I only had three months between retirement and moving and they were very crowded months. Since I was coming off of night shifts for many years, I was all messed up and probably might have benefited from just lying around before moving, but I was eager to get on with it.

If it weren't for the house being completed on a timeline, I would have taken more time to "sleep up" back East and so forth. I always said, in retirement, I'd do nothing until I felt like doing something. I have rested up and taken it very easy here in Colorado and it suits me just fine.

Unless there is some kind of pressure on moving, like an available house or lease or something, of course you should take your time! It's YOUR time now.

Old 10-02-2019, 08:20 AM

5,947 posts, read 5,115,521 times
^^^^^^^ I vote for you taking some time first. There is no rush unless you are on fire.

Old 10-02-2019, 08:23 AM

155 posts, read 119,123 times
LOL! That’s exactly what I did and it’s been 2 1/2 years since my retirement. Nothing beats planning out what you want to do when/if you want to do it. I still see no reason to change my plans.

Old 10-02-2019, 08:32 AM

11,346 posts, read 16,711,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmp61616 View Post
I recently took a 4 day weekend from work. It was great, not having to deal with things (even though I handled several things via e-mail). The first day back was dealing with a bunch of stuff that went on while I was off. And the only work days I was away were Friday and Monday! I am looking forward to retirement but I wonder about packing up, moving, selling my house, etc. right off the bat. I was thinking how nice it would be just to take 6 months, get used to retirement, and do nothing for awhile. Kind of transition into retirement if you will. I plan on moving but I am starting to wonder what the rush is. Why do it all right after retirement? How many of you took some time to just decompress after pulling the plug?
I'm on month #6 of pulling the plug.

Sleeping late, playing golf and just enjoy being home with the Mrs.

What I can do today, I can do it tomorrow or the next day....what's the rush.

Old 10-02-2019, 08:41 AM

20,160 posts, read 12,763,707 times
We took a year off, except for some traveling, we did nothing.

Old 10-02-2019, 09:08 AM

1,305 posts, read 856,368 times
Yes, absolutely take some time off first! I took an entire year off after retiring. Getting the house ready to sell, selling, finding a place to move, packing everything up, moving to new location...etc, etc is VERY tiring! Don't rush into it unless you have to. I think I am still in recovery mode from the last 12 months of doing all of the above. Finally got moved into the new house, got it furnished and beginning to go back into relaxation mode again!

Old 10-02-2019, 10:03 AM

11,129 posts, read 9,767,171 times
When we retired (2010) the housing market was still in the dumps after the 2008 crash. So we spent a year and a half painting and fixing up the house to ready it for sale, decluttering, selling things we weren't taking with us, while decompressing from our work lives, and devising our escape plan. We needed to research costs for the various moving methods, and finalize our plans for the actual location of our new place, etc. We also spent time with family and friends as much as possible, since we knew we would not be able to spend as much time together after we moved. Meanwhile the housing market improved and we were at least able to recoup our original investment.

Old 10-02-2019, 10:10 AM

8,312 posts, read 3,930,579 times
That's my plan. To chill for 6 months. Get used to not getting at at 5 AM every day as I have for decades. Don't plan on moving for some time, so there is no rush on that score.

Old 10-02-2019, 10:18 AM

30,585 posts, read 25,173,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmp61616 View Post
The conventional wisdom about selling is that people begin looking in earnest in Spring. It has to do with kids starting school. Families want to be in new home before school starts. So, apparently all RE picks up in Spring. You could time your down time after retirement to coincide with Fall through Winter and then put house up for sale in April or May.

We did not exactly take time off before selling, as I was busy fixing house up before putting it up for sale. The irony of it all is that it took years to sell it.

I think it is fine to do things at your own pace. Some of this will be beyond your control.

Shortly after I retired, we did a whirlwind trip out of town. I fully understood that I was retired when I did not have to return to work on the following Monday. Look forward to your freedom. And savor every moment when the time comes, as you experience your new unfettered life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement