Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2019, 07:53 AM

9,358 posts, read 14,085,892 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
Airbnb is never allowed in HOA communities, at least any that I’ve seen. Every owner should double check their CC&A’s to be sure. In snowbird areas rentals are usually for a month minimum to minimize the people coming and going - year round. In some communities 3 months.
You are generalizing. Each HOA has its own bylaws.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2019, 08:02 AM

11,175 posts, read 16,008,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
Airbnb is never allowed in HOA communities, at least any that I’ve seen. Every owner should double check their CC&A’s to be sure. In snowbird areas rentals are usually for a month minimum to minimize the people coming and going - year round. In some communities 3 months.
Quote:
Originally Posted by luv4horses View Post
You are generalizing. Each HOA has its own bylaws.
In any case, there's no reason to be discussing Airbnb or rentals as this thread has absolutely nothing to do with renting. Now if your HOA has rules against any guests occupying your residence in your absence, that would be relevant.

Old 10-08-2019, 08:20 AM

3,154 posts, read 2,064,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ysr_racer View Post
My buddy did a home exchange, at least he thought it was a home exchange, the people that exchanged into his house made adult movies there for a week straight.
He found out from the neighbors when he got home
The 3rd grade class was in study hall. The teacher, grading papers, heard some noise and looked up, seeing all of the kids lined up against the window, looking at something out on the playground. She gets up and walks to the window, only to see two dogs locked together in the traditional mating position out on the blacktop.

Little Mary exclaims, "Teacher, what are those dogs doing?"

Not wanting to start that conversation, the teacher replies, "Well, I don't know for sure, but it looks like some mean kid may have broken a bottle out on the playground, and the dog on top stepped in the glass, cutting his paw. The dog on the bottom is helping him get home".

Little Johnny chimes in: "Yep, just like my Grandpa always said".

The Teacher replies, "How's that, Johnny?"

"Give a guy a helping hand, and he'll stick it in your *ss every time".

Johnny's Grandpa had it partially correct. Most people are decent, but there is some percentage (ten percent? fifteen?) that will take advantage every chance they get, and you have to protect yourself from them, even if it means you have to be wary of the other 90%. It's a shame, but that's the world. Too bad we aren't all born with birthmarks on our foreheads that identify whether we are sociopaths by nature, it sure would make things easier.

Old 10-08-2019, 08:34 AM

17,263 posts, read 21,998,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ysr_racer View Post
My buddy did a home exchange, at least he thought it was a home exchange, the people that exchanged into his house made adult movies there for a week straight.

He found out from the neighbors when he got home
Makes you all warm and fuzzy when sitting on your couch........or is that warm and sticky!

Old 10-08-2019, 08:37 AM

17,263 posts, read 21,998,333 times
I owned a beachfront townhouse in a touristy town. There were 5-6 heavy tourist events a year that we would intentionally NOT go to the place (so ideal for renting it out). We never rented it once, I just didn't want those types of tourists living in my house.

We let friends stay there. I had a long time friend move in for 3 months, he was moving south and I wasn't using it so I let him live there. I just don't want to exchange hassle for a few hundred dollars.

Old 10-08-2019, 08:41 AM

19,429 posts, read 27,808,716 times
Since 2008 we have done 15+ home exchanges. From 2008 to 2012, our residence was in Mesa, AZ. Since 2012, our residence had been in Raleigh. We do not have a vacation home; hence the vast majority of our exchanges have been simultaneous.

MANY people think we are totally crazy.

The worst problems we had? Somebody broke an inexpensive wine glass. They left ten bucks to replace it. (I sent the ten bucks back.) We totaled a car in Mexico. Insurance paid, and they have remained good friends for 10+ years. One time, as part of an exchange, we were taking care of a dog. She chewed a bit of window molding from stress. We offered to pay for repairs which they resolutely refused.

Some of the places we have had the luxury and pleasure of visiting are:

* Capetown, South Africa for one month.
* Upper East Side Manhattan condo for one week.
* Cape Coral canal front property for 3 months in high season.
* Several other exchanges in Florida for 1-2 weeks. Most on a canal, river or the ocean but in low season.
* Lanzarote in the Canary Islands
* Multiple visits to Ajijic, Mexico. With maid service.
* Southern California.
* Wilminton, NC for one week.
* Sun City West, AZ for one week in country club property with a golf course view.
* 5 bedroom house in Philadelphia for one week.

In many cases, we have remained in contact with these people and they have become friends. We have successfully done car and pet exchanges. We do not secure our valuables beyond what we would normally do when we travel. Nor have our exchange partners. In the RARE occasion where children are staying in our home, we do move certain objects to avoid breakage.

We have been unable to secure an exchange to many places we would like to visit. Our limitations are that Raleigh isn't exactly tourist central, and our house is only a two bedroom. Our large house in AZ was MUCH more easily exchanged. Yet, we still get a surprising number of offers.

We've recommend it to friends, who have been equally successful, including international exchanges.

I vet people as much as possible (you'd probably be Damned surprised at what I can find On the internet with your name and address), and have turned down one exchange as a result of that search. I've turned down several simply because I got a bad vibe in emails or phone calls. As I tell everyone, GO WITH YOUR GUT.

One downer: The site we have always happily used is HomeExchange.com Unfortunately, the ownership changed last year as well as the format of exchanges. For a variety of reasons, the changes suck.

Old 10-08-2019, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ansible90 View Post
So when you let strangers stay at your house, do you have to lock up valuables or other items? Do you lock the master bedroom? I don't think I would want strangers sleeping in my bed.
My husband jokes that prior to an exchange, we pick up all the twenty dollar bills thrown around the floor of our house.

We lock up the desk drawers that have tax returns and financial information as a deterrent. In fact, they could easily be opened with a paperclip. We put my jewelry in the safe deposit box - just like we do wherever we travel. We have never experienced anything different from our exchange partners.

As far as "strangers sleeping in your bed" - ever thought about the THOUSANDS of people that have slept in that hotel room bed? That you've PAID for?

Old 10-08-2019, 08:55 AM

HOA's - it's not an issue with ours, and our neighbors are well aware of our exchanges. They've even invited our partners to Thanksgiving dinner, Bunco, and brought toys for the very occasional kids.

When we have stayed in places with restrictive HOA's (nearly always a condo), we simply say we are family friends. Never a problem. In fact, Neighbors have recommended nearby restaurants.

Old 10-08-2019, 01:22 PM

11,046 posts, read 6,632,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar 77 View Post
The logistics of planning all these trips and coordinating times, places and the like with multiple out-of the-country people sounds too stressful for me.
Yes, that's what we think. Our neighbor does this all the time, BUT he has 3 units here to switch around. To try to do it with your one main home is too much, IMO. Though he's always encouraging us to try it.

Someone would need to meet them with keys and show them around, etc.

It sure seems to work great for our neighbor though. We're not organized or motivated enough, LOL.

Old 10-08-2019, 01:42 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,593,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
I owned a beachfront townhouse in a touristy town. There were 5-6 heavy tourist events a year that we would intentionally NOT go to the place (so ideal for renting it out). We never rented it once, I just didn't want those types of tourists living in my house...
I'll go one better: I don't wish to have any strangers in my home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement