Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2019, 09:48 AM

19,437 posts, read 27,844,220 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieHere View Post
Same as door bell, except when somebody falls down and don’t get up, Alexa or the likes will dial 911.

But I’ve googled CCRCs in our area, it’s nothing but an apartment complex. You get meals with that. It’s next to a gold course. Thanks but no thanks. I can get that with door dash, the meals part.

But what’s wrong with go straight to nursing home from home. Why the in between stages? I still don’t get. My father had a stroke and they admitted him right away to a facility near me, the problem was he didn’t want to be there, so we moved him. But it’s not like a long wait. He had no money.

IF they are truly CCRC's, they are not just an apartment complex. I have a suspicion that what you are looking at on google is Assisted Living Centers. I think if you learned more about what CCRC is all about, you would see the benefit for some people. Your father had YOU to help deal with his health and living needs - those of us without kids and family potentially have a bigger risk. (and having no money limits your choices anyway.)

PS - It's a minor point, but Alexa won't dial 911. It requires additional equipment and configuration to 'jerry rig' the system.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2019, 09:57 AM

20,160 posts, read 12,760,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
IF they are truly CCRC's, they are not just an apartment complex. I have a suspicion that what you are looking at on google is Assisted Living Centers. I think if you learned more about what CCRC is all about, you would see the benefit for some people. Your father had YOU to help deal with his health and living needs - those of us without kids and family potentially have a bigger risk. (and having no money limits your choices anyway.)

PS - It's a minor point, but Alexa won't dial 911. It requires additional equipment and configuration to 'jerry rig' the system.
This is the link I’ve found for our county. I only glanced briefly at the top one, a $170k but in. Not too bad, not what I’ve read here.

https://www.caring.com/senior-living.../orange-county

My father didn’t get any help from me or anyone in our family, I was living 5 hours away. I couldn’t help my mother even. But he got visits from us, mostly me and my husband at the time because we were living temporarily in an apartment, we had no yard work. My oldest brother and sister were two points of contact regarding his health. And they even had less time to visit.

Last edited by NewbieHere; 10-17-2019 at 10:05 AM..

Old 10-17-2019, 10:18 AM

15,252 posts, read 12,964,014 times
Quote:
Bingo. And if you don't have kids or relatives. . . you're really on your own.
We have relatives, just not very many we would want in our lives.

So how does that work... You're in the CCRC, your spouse pre-deceases you, who has your POA then?

Old 10-17-2019, 10:35 AM

19,437 posts, read 27,844,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
We have relatives, just not very many we would want in our lives.

So how does that work... You're in the CCRC, your spouse pre-deceases you, who has your POA then?

The same person who is executor of my will and trustee for my living will. My attorney. (yes, it's rather sad. But it is what it is.)

Old 10-17-2019, 10:40 AM

15,252 posts, read 12,964,014 times
Quote:
The same person who is executor of my will and trustee for my living will. My attorney. (yes, it's rather sad. But it is what it is.)
I'm sorry if I made you feel bad.

I think some people who do have adult children might be better served by following your example. It makes a lot of sense to me.

Old 10-17-2019, 11:11 AM

31,683 posts, read 41,045,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieHere View Post
This is the link I’ve found for our county. I only glanced briefly at the top one, a $170k but in. Not too bad, not what I’ve read here.

https://www.caring.com/senior-living.../orange-county

My father didn’t get any help from me or anyone in our family, I was living 5 hours away. I couldn’t help my mother even. But he got visits from us, mostly me and my husband at the time because we were living temporarily in an apartment, we had no yard work. My oldest brother and sister were two points of contact regarding his health. And they even had less time to visit.
The number, quality and newness of varies by location and income level in the area.
Areas that have large numbers of affluent people and our growing (especially with retiring transplants) will have more newer and expensive ones.

Old 10-17-2019, 11:22 AM

10,609 posts, read 5,648,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
I don't expect robots but I expect my house will be full of cameras with image recognition software. If I'm unresponsive or it detects something out of the ordinary, it triggers Sandeep in Bangalore to look at the video feeds. If it needs human intervention, they pull in the local service run by the home health care company a mile from my house and a CNA rolls to my door.
In addition, there will be sensors that detect, say, the cooktop burner was left on by accident, or the refrigerator door is left open, or a door to outside is left open, or the bathtub is left running, etc. etc.

Old 10-17-2019, 12:54 PM

23,173 posts, read 26,202,662 times
I'm enjoying this thread immensely even though I realize it's knocked me out of the CCRC market completely.
Thanks to all of you that contributed.
At least I now know something else has to be considered

Old 10-17-2019, 12:55 PM

31,683 posts, read 41,045,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
I don't expect robots but I expect my house will be full of cameras with image recognition software. If I'm unresponsive or it detects something out of the ordinary, it triggers Sandeep in Bangalore to look at the video feeds. If it needs human intervention, they pull in the local service run by the home health care company a mile from my house and a CNA rolls to my door.
Many places give you a monitor and some with a GPS and if anything goes wrong they send someone to check on you. They also have a daily check in system where you need to check in by a certain time or they come checking on you. Desk is manned 24/7. They have staff moving around the building being helpful.

Old 10-17-2019, 01:00 PM

20,160 posts, read 12,760,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
The number, quality and newness of varies by location and income level in the area.
Areas that have large numbers of affluent people and our growing (especially with retiring transplants) will have more newer and expensive ones.
Our area is super HCOL, not NYC or SF but pretty high up there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement