Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2020, 01:29 AM

23,688 posts, read 9,369,016 times

Advertisements

Hi everybody,

I am worried about my retired grandmother.I hope she wont have financial hardship. She has the vast majority of her retirement in one oil company that my grandfather worked for.She has a financial advisor and my family helps her with the stock and money because she does not know how the stock market works.I am worried that the oil company will cut her pension and/or dividends.

My grandfather while he was alive wanted to have only one stock to be loyal to his former employer after he retired.I told my grandmother and my dad that she needed to diversify to no avail.

I am shocked her financial planner and my family did not get her to get more than one stock. We are more than willing as a family to help her if she has financial trouble.I am worried she will because the price of West Texas Intermediate is so low.She already lost more than half her nest egg and she is in her 80's.I am also worried she may get the virus.Thanks in advance every body.

Last edited by C24L; 03-18-2020 at 01:52 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2020, 02:41 AM

4,862 posts, read 7,959,482 times
Change her advisor. If she couldn't afford for her money to be at risk he dropped the ball.

Old 03-18-2020, 03:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caltovegas View Post
Change her advisor. If she couldn't afford for her money to be at risk he dropped the ball.
Thanks i tried.....it was a financial advisor who is not a fiduciary.....she's basically a salesperson.I doubt she will listen to me.I tried to tell her that the planner did not have her best interest at heart but she did not believe me.

Old 03-18-2020, 09:22 AM

4,858 posts, read 4,794,690 times
If your grandmother is receiving a defined benefit pension as a survivor beneficiary of your grandfather, then there is little (if any) risk that they can simply reduce her pension. Generally, if a pension plan is voluntarily terminated, payouts will continue because the plan is a separately funded entity from the company and her benefits are vested. I do expect oil company dividends to be reduced.

Old 03-18-2020, 09:27 AM

962 posts, read 612,180 times
She is screwed. Sorry.

The only good news is she is in her 80's, which is better than being 68, or 75, if you know what I mean.

Again, I'm sorry.

Old 03-18-2020, 09:59 AM

8,272 posts, read 10,979,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by C24L View Post
Thanks i tried.....it was a financial advisor who is not a fiduciary.....she's basically a salesperson.I doubt she will listen to me.I tried to tell her that the planner did not have her best interest at heart but she did not believe me.
Then she can sell her home and move into a trailer/manufactured home. Or if destitute then most states have county homes for the poor. Get her on the waiting list for the county home.

Of course, if some were thinking of some sort of inheritance - forget that and plan your own lives accordingly.

As stated in another post. All should view this PBS video:

LINK

Old 03-18-2020, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiminnm View Post
If your grandmother is receiving a defined benefit pension as a survivor beneficiary of your grandfather, then there is little (if any) risk that they can simply reduce her pension. Generally, if a pension plan is voluntarily terminated, payouts will continue because the plan is a separately funded entity from the company and her benefits are vested. I do expect oil company dividends to be reduced.
okay thanks for clearing that up for me.

Old 03-18-2020, 02:41 PM

8,238 posts, read 6,576,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unit731 View Post

Then she can sell her home and move into a trailer/manufactured home. Or if destitute then most states have county homes for the poor. Get her on the waiting list for the county home.
'county homes for the poor'? Are you writing from the U.S. or what country? What 'county homes for the poor' are you referring to?

Perhaps you mean government subsidized apartments or Section 8 vouchers or being on Medicaid?

Or if one is a veteran of the Armed Forces, veteran retirement homes or veteran nursing homes? (which do have some requirements)

Old 03-18-2020, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unit731 View Post

Of course, if some were thinking of some sort of inheritance - forget that and plan your own lives accordingly.

As stated in another post. All should view this PBS video:

LINK
okay thank you for your contribution to this thread.However, I am not aware of any county homes for the poor.

Old 03-18-2020, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Purlin View Post
She is screwed. Sorry.

The only good news is she is in her 80's, which is better than being 68, or 75, if you know what I mean.

Again, I'm sorry.
Thank you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement