Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2021, 08:45 AM

23,652 posts, read 14,003,732 times

Advertisements

Yesterday, a friend drove me to the major metroplex in these parts for a medical appointment and.......OH, THEY ARE BUILDING SO MUCH!

Now, part of it is Covid. That with Covid around, I haven't been traveling outside of the local town so I haven't seen how much things are changing.

But I am wondering of what the culture shock will be when I am retired, when I retire to the ranch and don't budge except for a month or two at time.

Have others gone through this? Left the work world for home only to blink like Rip Van Winkle when they come back into the sunlight? Should we adjust our lives to a schedule to make trips "around", especially if we live without TV, computer imagery? In this world of ours, if we should, then how frequently should it be?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2021, 08:54 AM

6,308 posts, read 4,201,329 times
I’m not a fan of “should’s” in retirement other than we should do what best suits us individually.

For us we enjoy road tripping and exploring the world around us anyway, always have and I don’t see that changing. We’ve adjusted our lives to try new things now that we are free to do what we want, when we want and when we’re in the mood.

Old 03-11-2021, 09:01 AM

17,399 posts, read 16,547,378 times
I have no plans to retire in isolation. I want to live someplace fun where I can enjoy my golden years and keep my mind active and sharp.

I've seen people living their good lives in 55+ mobile home parks. They have activities like horseshoe, sing songs around the fire pit, share their favorite adult beverages with friends and greet each new day with a smile.

I want no snow shoveling and no hurricane evacuations.

Old 03-11-2021, 09:14 AM

43,128 posts, read 18,290,317 times
Not many retire to total isolation like you.

Old 03-11-2021, 09:24 AM

23,652 posts, read 14,003,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
Not many retire to total isolation like you.
Probably a good thing....at least in the past, but has the current crisis changed that?

I mean, OLD was never particularly great but in the past year or so, it has been positively the Doldrums! Between that and the change of health in the past year, I am seriously questioning if the chase is at an end, is over.

So I am not sure if we can apply the way of things before to now and beyond.

Old 03-11-2021, 09:38 AM

14,254 posts, read 14,750,142 times
I did not isolate myself but I did kind of hibernate the last 6 months or so. One thing I did do was take a drive around town just to keep up with what was going on and get out of the house.

Old 03-11-2021, 02:09 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,609,640 times
I visited a gun show last weekend. It was crowded; I didn't see a single mask. Sadly, I didn't see much ammo, but I am well-stocked. Some gun prices were higher, others about the same.

Old 03-11-2021, 02:23 PM

5,583 posts, read 6,514,131 times
I live in a 55+outside the city limits, in a larger community that has it's own name, that is becoming it's own community/small town. They are building all the businesses I need within a few miles up the road, so I don't have to go far. And that is fine with me! I had to go out a week or so ago, I took the back roads. Coming home I took the freeway to get to my main busy street which is ALWAYS backed up, BOTH ways. I was shocked to see the buildings that have sprung up where vacant land used to be along the freeway frontage roads. Building in my area is going full blast. I am looking forward to just going a few miles up the road and having everything there so I don't have to go out and deal with the masses in the real world.

Old 03-11-2021, 02:44 PM

11,054 posts, read 6,650,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar 77 View Post
I live in a 55+outside the city limits, in a larger community that has it's own name, that is becoming it's own community/small town. They are building all the businesses I need within a few miles up the road, so I don't have to go far. And that is fine with me! I had to go out a week or so ago, I took the back roads. Coming home I took the freeway to get to my main busy street which is ALWAYS backed up, BOTH ways. I was shocked to see the buildings that have sprung up where vacant land used to be along the freeway frontage roads. Building in my area is going full blast. I am looking forward to just going a few miles up the road and having everything there so I don't have to go out and deal with the masses in the real world.
Good for you! You've got it made. I wish we were within walking distance of anything, but can't have it all. I saw what we were missing while in Europe where we could walk to everything. I'm done with ranch life; we're too old for all that. Love our condo on the beach but to be in a city would cost more and be crowded and noisy and traffic....all that. Tranquility, deserted beach, means not much is around. It's a trade-off.

Good thing there are constant buses and cheap taxis.

Old 03-11-2021, 02:45 PM

23,311 posts, read 18,865,187 times
I tend to recall the old adage "Use it or lose it" and apply it to multiple aspects of living, not just exercise. IME keeping myself somewhat up to speed on changes in my surroundings (neighborhood, town, a city I need to visit occasionally, traveling, doing business) flexes the ol' brain. More flex-ing, more flex-ible. I am pretty content being a homebody at this age and could probably become even more of a hermit than I am now, but I understand there's a price to pay for doing so. I'll become more rigid, intolerant, less adept. So, if/when I did venture into the world of others it would seem more likely to get overwhelmed, make mistakes, or possibly taken advantage of. If I keep a thumb on the pulse of the world I am less likely to have as many rude awakenings.

Last edited by Parnassia; 03-11-2021 at 02:53 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement