Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-02-2022, 02:54 PM

1,137 posts, read 1,096,905 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Ramsey would have had no idea she had pre-marital sex if she had an abortion. That was her choices. Get an abortion or get fired.
The choice was actually have gainful employment or have sex outside marriage. They made a choice to have sex.

The choice about hiding a pregnancy or risk losing a job came after the person already made one wrong choice.

Quit being dramatic and trying to blame an old white guy for more crap he didn’t create
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2022, 03:07 PM

79,914 posts, read 44,174,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcl View Post
The choice was actually have gainful employment or have sex outside marriage. They made a choice to have sex.

The choice about hiding a pregnancy or risk losing a job came after the person already made one wrong choice.

Quit being dramatic and trying to blame an old white guy for more crap he didn’t create

He did create it and enforced it in an incredibly hypocritical manner.

Old 07-02-2022, 03:13 PM

17,349 posts, read 16,492,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
He did create it and enforced it in an incredibly hypocritical manner.
Just don't work for the guy. You can't sign an employment agreement like that and then play the victim when you get caught breaking the rules.

Old 07-02-2022, 03:21 PM

1,137 posts, read 1,096,905 times
It’s like working for a place that didn’t allow face tattoos and you get a face tattoo and cover it up with a bandage and then complain that you have to choose between your job and getting a skin rash because of having to wear a bandage all day ffs the victim mentality is ironically something Dave Ramsey is always ranting about

Old 07-02-2022, 03:46 PM

50,721 posts, read 36,424,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
I found his program useless for me.

But, my husband and I were raised in households where financial responsibility was a priority. Both of our fathers had jobs that could and did suffer downturns on occasion and those downturns had to be prepared for, as were household vacations, and other things. So pretty much everything Dave Ramsey was talking about I already knew and was doing. We ran our financials like the envelope system. Even though we didn’t use the envelopes or cash. And we’ve never ever had an issue with credit cards so his advice about that was really off the mark for us.

But we had several friends who grew up in total financial chaos and were now repeating that in their families and teaching their children that. When one friend asked me for some financial advice I steered her to Dave Ramsey. She needed it. And she thanked me later.

We all come at things with different strengths and weaknesses. Which is why I tried Dave Ramsey, and then I tried Suze Orman, and then I found guys who talked about investments. And retirement like Ray Lucia, Ric Edelman… That was what I needed help with.

I’m happily retired.
I agree some people need that kind of approach. I felt the same way about Suze Ormon. She was never targeting people who already know what they're doing. Her audience was people who didn't have basic financial literacy, had psychological problems related to money (spending addiction, etc), couldn't say no to adult kids/parents to their own financial detriment, etc, etc, and needed more of a strict mom/psychological approach. I learned a lot from her and I loved her approach. But she got torn to shreds in every thread that mentioned her.

Old 07-02-2022, 04:17 PM

2,009 posts, read 1,207,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
That shouldn’t surprise anyone. Most morality police are immoral themselves, going all the way up to the government and church leaders.

Totally....I have a friend that I realize is just really right wing....and hypocritical......Hes thrilled about the Roe V Wade decision , yet 30 years ago he aborted a child.

Old 07-02-2022, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FREE866 View Post
Totally....I have a friend that I realize is just really right wing....and hypocritical......Hes thrilled about the Roe V Wade decision , yet 30 years ago he aborted a child.
I'm sure a lot of the politicians that helped overturn or campaigned on overturning Roe, paid for their share of them, too!

Old 07-02-2022, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FREE866 View Post
All the ruling did was turn it over to the states. The voters will decide what is right in their own state.

If being able to obtain an abortion is important to you then you will probably want to live in a state that provides unfettered access to them. If you think that abortions are morally wrong then you will probably want to live in a state that has stricter rules.

Old 07-02-2022, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by springfieldva View Post
All the ruling did was turn it over to the states. The voters will decide what is right in their own state.

If being able to obtain an abortion is important to you then you will probably want to live in a state that provides unfettered access to them. If you think that abortions are morally wrong then you will probably want to live in a state that has stricter rules.
Many people, including me, believe that if an R is the next president, they will try to pass a national ban. It's not over yet.

Old 07-02-2022, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
Many people, including me, believe that if an R is the next president, they will try to pass a national ban. It's not over yet.
The Supreme Court has turned it over to the states so....

Regardless, this woman signed an agreement that she wouldn't have premarital sex while employed by the Dave Ramsey show. She broke the terms of the agreement and she lost her job as a consequence. Whether she had an abortion, a miscarriage or gave birth was irrelevant. The reason she lost her job was that she had premarital sex.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement