Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-02-2022, 05:19 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,637,312 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hikernut View Post
Yeah. The used car thing can end up being a false economy. Probably the biggest win is the savings on registration and insurance. Old cars are a financial time bomb, though. Expensive repairs that cannot be deferred can pop up literally at any time.

Buy something boring and reliable, like a Toyota Camry. Today most everybody seems to want a truck or an SUV. Sedans are cheap in comparison.
Oh I've been there done that. At one point the used car I had was costing me more every month than a car payment. Not to mention having to pay for AAA every year and then the tow bills after I used up the ones covered by AAA. Then there's the being stranded somewhere. Always fun being stranded out of state! Been there done that. Not a t-shirt I want.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2022, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnd393 View Post
A new car is a greater financial time bomb as soon as the warranty expires. Too much money in it to walk away if it needs a $5000 repair. None of my cars are worth $5000.
That's why you trade it in before the warranty ends. It still has value and can easily be traded in for a decent amount.

Old 07-02-2022, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Ramsey would have had no idea she had pre-marital sex if she had an abortion. That was her choices. Get an abortion or get fired.
Or the boss stays out of his employees' personal lives. They're employees not property. He doesn't own them.

Old 07-02-2022, 05:27 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,250,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by springfieldva View Post
Just don't work for the guy. You can't sign an employment agreement like that and then play the victim when you get caught breaking the rules.

I don't work for him and since someone asked, I pointed out his hypocrisy.

Old 07-02-2022, 05:29 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,250,702 times
Quote:
The Supreme Court has turned it over to the states so....

Regardless, this woman signed an agreement that she wouldn't have premarital sex while employed by the Dave Ramsey show. She broke the terms of the agreement and she lost her job as a consequence. Whether she had an abortion, a miscarriage or gave birth was irrelevant. The reason she lost her job was that she had premarital sex.

And the man that was making him money while.having sex outside of marriage did not.

Old 07-02-2022, 05:50 PM

2,009 posts, read 1,215,794 times
Quote:
All the ruling did was turn it over to the states. The voters will decide what is right in their own state.

If being able to obtain an abortion is important to you then you will probably want to live in a state that provides unfettered access to them. If you think that abortions are morally wrong then you will probably want to live in a state that has stricter rules.

You make it sound as if packing up and moving to another state is an easy thing to do , like changing your order at a restaurant.

The last thing this country needs is more unwanted and poor kids. The societal costs are pretty big IMO. I know this is a delicate issue. Such a mess.

Old 07-02-2022, 05:57 PM

17,411 posts, read 16,560,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FREE866 View Post
You make it sound as if packing up and moving to another state is an easy thing to do , like changing your order at a restaurant.

The last thing this country needs is more unwanted and poor kids. The societal costs are pretty big IMO. I know this is a delicate issue. Such a mess.
You are likely not living in a state that would pass restrictions on abortion and if you are then consider this a heads up.

No state can be everything to all people.

Old 07-02-2022, 06:25 PM

373 posts, read 311,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FREE866 View Post
I agree ... a delicate issue. I've ask many who I know, if they wished their mom had aborted. Haven't gotten a yes yet.

Old 07-02-2022, 06:25 PM

271 posts, read 295,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Where do you guys listen to him? This is an online thing? I would like to hear the "entertaining" callers.
I watch videos of Ramsey's show on YouTube. I don't agree with everything he says, but I find the show entertaining. It's incredible how people can be so financially illiterate. Especially that there are people who have high incomes yet still are in massive debt. I have no sympathy for such folks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
Yes, I once had $2600 stolen when I used my debit card at a gas station, and I think there was a scammer attached. A few days later, I discovered someone used my debit to buy 2 one way tickets to Santiago Chile to the tune of $2600.00. The bank reimbursed me for the money a day after I filed the report. That was a long time ago now but I’d assume things didn’t go backwards since then.
I don't trust debit cards either, they pull money directly from your bank account. I recently had two fraudulent $10 charges show up on my debit card (which I rarely used anyway). Luckily, the bank reimbursed me and issued a new card, but if I hadn't caught the charges so early, I wonder how much more the scammer would have taken from me.

Old 07-03-2022, 07:05 AM

50,860 posts, read 36,551,301 times
Quote:
The Supreme Court has turned it over to the states so....

Regardless, this woman signed an agreement that she wouldn't have premarital sex while employed by the Dave Ramsey show. She broke the terms of the agreement and she lost her job as a consequence. Whether she had an abortion, a miscarriage or gave birth was irrelevant. The reason she lost her job was that she had premarital sex.
Quote:
Originally Posted by secondbreakfast View Post
I watch videos of Ramsey's show on YouTube. I don't agree with everything he says, but I find the show entertaining. It's incredible how people can be so financially illiterate. Especially that there are people who have high incomes yet still are in massive debt. I have no sympathy for such folks.

I don't trust debit cards either, they pull money directly from your bank account. I recently had two fraudulent $10 charges show up on my debit card (which I rarely used anyway). Luckily, the bank reimbursed me and issued a new card, but if I hadn't caught the charges so early, I wonder how much more the scammer would have taken from me.
It’s actually pretty unusual for someone who gets your number through a skimmer to make small withdrawals like that. Most commonly, they do it the way it happened to me. They make one very large purchase, and then never use it again. I actually think my number was sold to someone by the people who owned the skimmer. I don’t know if it was on the dark web or not.

I actually had more issues with my social security number being lifted from credit application in person at a furniture store. They wreaked havoc on my accounts, cancelling my and my mothers phones and buying new ones, opening multiple cards and maxing them out immediately etc. I was very worried they’d get into my bank account or file false tax return in my name but thank God that didn’t happen. It was crazy though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement