Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2022, 09:37 AM

140 posts, read 142,764 times

Advertisements

Good Morning,

I am 69 and retired and my husband will retire in November at 66+. My daughters live in Florida and we have planned for that to be our retirement location. We paid cash for a decent mobile home in Melbourne, FL., the weekend before the hurricane. Inspector comes today.

We are having second thoughts about selling our current home in Tehachapi and moving full time to Florida.
Having a career at NASA in Quality Assurance and Risk Management, I am questioning whether we are making the right decision. My husband says that we cannot afford two homes and he is really dragging his feet in cleaning up both garages and his personal items in the house.

I am concerned if we are making the right decision in moving to Florida. After all, we are seniors and the thought of our homes potentially being destroyed over-and-over is a very worrisome thought, especially with the current situation with property insurance.

What are your thoughts and feelings on a permanent move to Florida? Thank you.

Best, Reddog53
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2022, 09:52 AM

43,128 posts, read 18,290,317 times
If you have 2nd thoughts then just don't go. You could be a snowbird and go to FL during the winter months when there is no threat of hurricanes.

Old 10-05-2022, 12:33 PM

4,537 posts, read 3,758,941 times
I would not make a mobile home my primary residence in Florida.

Hurricane Ian heavily damaged the mobile home parks here with heavy wind gust of 104 in our area of the Gulf coast. The mangled siding, roofs and carports are sad to see. They are not built to withstand hurricane force winds.

Moderator cut: link removed, competitor siteThis site rates Melbourne as a very high threat of hurricanes. Where I am on the Gulf is rated high. Or was before Ian, that may change.

Last edited by Yac; 10-11-2022 at 10:17 PM..

Old 10-05-2022, 12:45 PM

1,174 posts, read 2,534,308 times
I would not live in a mobile home anywhere. It’s really not safe in high wind, fire, tornado, hurricane. Very hot living in Florida in a metal box.

Old 10-05-2022, 12:48 PM

17,399 posts, read 16,540,182 times
Where are you planning to move in Florida? If you'll be right on the water that could be an issue. If you are further inland, you should be o.k.

What do your daughters think?

Old 10-05-2022, 01:03 PM

5,225 posts, read 6,150,147 times
I have seen so much negativity lately about mobile homes in Florida.

I don’t know the OP’s financial situation but a lot of these mobile homes are in great shape and can be had for less than 50k in really nice parks.

Our friends parents were able to live out their retirement in a very nice one into their early eighties. They recently sold theirs in Sanford for 30K.

If you are retired on a fixed income this is a great way to go, yes you are gambling but this is an inexpensive way to live out your retirement. With housing prices the way they are in Florida now it is no longer affordable for everyone.

Again, you are gambling with hurricanes but I feel the financial pros outweigh the cons if you know you have to prepare to vacate and possibly lose your home if you are in the direct path.

My other friends parents have been in a nice park in Vero Beach since 1985, they had some close calls but are still living there in their early 90’s.

If it is inland like someone mentioned I think you would be fine, but know the possibilities still exist.

The other option would be to find an older Florida cinder block home.

Good luck with your decision and also sit down and figure a budget, maybe you can afford both

Old 10-05-2022, 01:12 PM

7,362 posts, read 4,142,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBtwinz View Post
I have seen so much negativity lately about mobile homes in Florida.
If you live in an earthquake zone, purchase a reinforced house to help with earthquakes.

If you live in snowstorm prove areas, purchase a house with a fireplace and lots of interior insulation.

If you want to live in hurricane zone, purchase a house that can withstand hurricanes - not a mobile home.

If can't can't afford it, go to low cost senior housing.

Old 10-05-2022, 01:20 PM

6,627 posts, read 7,348,414 times
If you are living on the coast you have a higher risk. Generally if a hurricane comes you will be told to evacuate if you are in a mobile home.

I would locate inland and away from lakes and rivers.

Since you have good reasons to do what you started out to do I would make the move with the idea that I will evacuate inland if told or a hurricane is coming. The home you bought has probably been their for years and probably will be there for years into the future. Life has ricks.

Old 10-05-2022, 01:23 PM

5,225 posts, read 6,150,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YorktownGal View Post
If you live in an earthquake zone, purchase a reinforced house to help with earthquakes.

If you live in snowstorm prove areas, purchase a house with a fireplace and lots of interior insulation.

If you want to live in hurricane zone, purchase a house that can withstand hurricanes - not a mobile home.

If can't can't afford it, go to low cost senior housing.
Not to be argumentative but in the 33 years we have lived here in Florida I have yet to see any type of home able to withstand a hurricane. If your home is in its path you are at its mercy.

You can be on the low income housing lists for years. Retirees have been living in mobile home parks for years in a Florida and many know the risk they take.

Old 10-05-2022, 01:25 PM

12,062 posts, read 10,279,610 times
I can see why you would want to be close to family. Try it for a few years or so at least.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement