Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2008, 10:30 PM

29,391 posts, read 55,602,856 times

Advertisements

The latest trend in retirement is not to retire. Well, at least not in the traditional sense. As millions of baby boomers begin the transition into their golden years, "retirement" is a word that is falling out of favor.

Trend: Retirement 2.0, The Boomer Generation is Redefining the "Golden Years"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2008, 12:10 AM
GLS

1,985 posts, read 5,380,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
The latest trend in retirement is not to retire. Well, at least not in the traditional sense. As millions of baby boomers begin the transition into their golden years, "retirement" is a word that is falling out of favor.

Trend: Retirement 2.0, The Boomer Generation is Redefining the "Golden Years"
Thanks John1960 for the interesting article. Of course I did notice that these people are far from the normal "baby boomers". First they are in the peak of health, still being able to downhill ski and hike mountains. Some of us are preoccupied with how to get out of bed in the morning and are spending an hour making sure we took all our medications correctly.

In addition, if you read carefully you will find the people in the article are
"former mutual fund managers", and "owners of their own printing businesses".

I would submit that being both healthy and rich "redefines the golden years" in a fairly unique perspective. Therefore, perhaps your premise that
these this article describes "millions of baby boomers transitioning into their golden years", should be rephrased as "baby boomers WITH millions are transitioning into their golden years".

Old 02-28-2012, 07:16 PM

5,466 posts, read 4,423,692 times
Just a quick read but the first thing that came to mind is... Trend.., retirement out of favor? Since when? I don't know one person who doesn't want to retire. It's Simple, they can't retire! This has the feeling of a new campaine just say no to retirement

Old 02-28-2012, 07:38 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,605,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eRayP View Post
I don't know one person who doesn't want to retire.
You do now. But I'm only sixty-eight.

Old 02-28-2012, 10:01 PM

5,466 posts, read 4,423,692 times
That's crazy lol

Old 02-29-2012, 02:41 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,019,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
Ahhh, Maybe subconsciously you do because you wouldn't be reading this forum.

Old 02-29-2012, 03:12 AM

10,420 posts, read 14,605,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
Ahhh, Maybe subconsciously you do because you wouldn't be reading this forum.
No, but I like to partucipate in geriatric issues. I do consider myself old.

Old 02-29-2012, 07:03 AM

14,016 posts, read 20,910,117 times
Quote:
... Trend.., retirement out of favor? Since when? I don't know one person who doesn't want to retire.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
Quote:
That's crazy lol
Well, eRayP, this has come up before in various threads here. There are people who don't want to retire, mostly because they think they will be bored to tears without their job and have no idea what on earth they will do with their time. A cousin of mine's husband is one of these, a small business owner. He wants to work until he drops. I am talking "wants to", not "has to".

Old 02-29-2012, 08:07 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,484,310 times
I think it's nuts not to want to and plan for retirement but that's only because at the end of my career I couldn't wait to do so. But a lot of that had to do with valued co-workers beginning to retire and a noticeable shift in the "company" philosophy and values. The "new paradigm" and I didn't mesh well. I think corporate culture and the changes that have pervaded over the past couple of decades has a lot to do with job satisfaction and stability. All things on balance resulted in me pulling the plug two years earlier than I planned to and looking back, I'm really glad I did.

Old 02-29-2012, 09:45 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,867,563 times
Actually seen similar articles in magzines for the last twenty years or so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement