Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2009, 09:17 PM

2,410 posts, read 5,821,936 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrob1 View Post
Excellent information I agree. For some reason the website wouldn't let me give you a rep point.
Thanks for the positive thoughts. I don't know why you weren't able to rep me, but I appreciate your effort.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2009, 07:45 AM

204 posts, read 580,755 times
I looked at Greenville SC and eventually chose Knoxville. I love it here but will admit it has been cold the last two days. However, we do not get the ice storms that the Greenville area does. By that I mean the trees breaking with all the weight of the ice. I liked Greenville but it was a little too busy as I mostly saw the interstates and lots of construction. However, that was 4 years ago. I really am glad I chose Knoxville.

Old 01-17-2009, 01:40 PM

1,141 posts, read 3,546,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
Thanks Ollie & Nancy. I think though that the summers in Alabama and Knoxville would be unbearable to my respiratory system with all that heat and humidity. Anyone have any info on the far northern part of South Carolina, the Southwest corner of Virginia (Abingdon area), places that are south but not too south (again, because of the extreme heat in summer). Also, I'm a freelancer so I don't need to find a job in a new location.

best wishes!

I live in SC the Northern part, actually 2 miles South of the Charlotte NC state line (Charlotte ends right at the State Line)

It is humid and hot here in my section of SC. I of course love it, but you'd probably not like it if this is an issue.

Old 01-17-2009, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
One more question, what do folks think about a Northeasterner in Knoxville or SC? Do they generally fit into the Southern lifestyle, or is it hard to get acclimated?

You can fit in anywhere you'd like, however rest assured that there are some locals (not all)that will never let you forget you are a Yankee. You may want to read some postings on the SC state forum. My next door neighbor still to this day hates all Northerners for no other reason than the Northerners "moved down here" "the Yankee's are messin' everything up" and on it goes. Even my own in laws (born and raised 4 generation North Carolinians) made comments to me about being from the North. They weren't nice comments either. Me? When I retire for good, though SC is wonderful for costs for retirees, I'll be leaving. Post haste.

Old 01-17-2009, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerDuke08 View Post
My that's quite a list ... Asheville, NC is one of the top places to retire, it does have a college but the city increasingly attract hippies and retirees. E. TN is a good area, but I believe they tax ur SS? Other than that you might have to go farther up to Maine, N.H., Vermont ... perhaps Durham, N.H. it is a college town.
Asheville was starting to get expensive, but I think the recent turn of real estate may make it affordable. Personally? I wouldn't live there. And remember NC has the highest state tax in the entire SE.

Old 01-17-2009, 08:03 PM

9,533 posts, read 16,522,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tn405 View Post
I looked at Greenville SC and eventually chose Knoxville. I love it here but will admit it has been cold the last two days. However, we do not get the ice storms that the Greenville area does. By that I mean the trees breaking with all the weight of the ice. I liked Greenville but it was a little too busy as I mostly saw the interstates and lots of construction. However, that was 4 years ago. I really am glad I chose Knoxville.
Do you find the high sales tax hard to get use to, especially on the groceries? I have lived with sales tax and income tax the majority of my life, but never heard of one as high as Tennessee's. It would seem to me it would really hit the lower income retiree very hard to say the least.

Old 01-17-2009, 10:20 PM

13,495 posts, read 37,448,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. P View Post
You can fit in anywhere you'd like, however rest assured that there are some locals (not all)that will never let you forget you are a Yankee. You may want to read some postings on the SC state forum. My next door neighbor still to this day hates all Northerners for no other reason than the Northerners "moved down here" "the Yankee's are messin' everything up" and on it goes. Even my own in laws (born and raised 4 generation North Carolinians) made comments to me about being from the North. They weren't nice comments either. Me? When I retire for good, though SC is wonderful for costs for retirees, I'll be leaving. Post haste.
Unfortunately, what you said seems to be true. Have you ever read the forum on their newspaper~The State? It's sad how "outsiders" are treated. If that's any indication, it'd be scary to move there.

The Myrtle Beach area seemed to have so many transplants that it'd be the best choice if someone was interested in SC. And I'm not sure what the difference is, but people in the NC forum seem like they're very welcoming and friendly. We also found that to be true when we travelled that direction.

There seem to be so many people who sound so satisfied with Tn. as their choice. Kind of interesting.

Old 01-19-2009, 05:46 PM

8,816 posts, read 21,282,976 times
I really am glad I chose Knoxville.

I would love to know why (I am thinking about moving there myself). It's on my short list of places.

There seem to be so many people who sound so satisfied with Tn. as their choice. Kind of interesting

I notice that also, jammie. For this freezing northeasterner, it seems like a wonderful choice. Knoxville anyway is a small city that has amenities , but still has enough trees, gardens and space, I think. It most certainly is affordable.

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Old 01-20-2009, 03:35 PM

13,495 posts, read 37,448,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nancy thereader View Post
I really am glad I chose Knoxville.

I would love to know why (I am thinking about moving there myself). It's on my short list of places.

There seem to be so many people who sound so satisfied with Tn. as their choice. Kind of interesting

I notice that also, jammie. For this freezing northeasterner, it seems like a wonderful choice. Knoxville anyway is a small city that has amenities , but still has enough trees, gardens and space, I think. It most certainly is affordable.

But do they have palm trees? Honestly, I just love palm trees and think it'd be wonderful to live in a climate that could sustain some of the hardier ones. I wonder if their climate would.

Old 01-20-2009, 03:50 PM

8,816 posts, read 21,282,976 times
I think that someone on the Portland forum mentioned that palm trees are viable there !!! I cannot imagine that, but that's what they said.

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement