Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2010, 12:41 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,449,641 times

Advertisements

I went and signed up for Social Security based on my 65th birthday in February so I will be receiving my first check in March.

The main reason I felt I needed to do this now is because of health issues and the Dementors at old Voldemorte, Inc are sucking the life out of me.

So after speaking with my investment guy, we determined that although I do not have a whole lot to work with, we can get my monthly income from converting various funds: 401k IRA and just plain money in the bank to annuities and other plans plus SS.

Ironically after crunching the numbers, he came up with an amount that is actually more than I am earning from my job. And I am pretty much used to living on a "fixed" income since I haven't had a raise in three years.

But it's scary because this will be the first time I have ever stopped working full time for good since I was 18 without the intentions of ever coming back to it. If I had to I could next year without penalty from SS. But that would be difficult.

I am hoping to supplement what I will be getting with a part time job in which I can earn up to the max without SS making dedcutions from their check for this year though for sure. Eventually I plan to move to a less costly city than the one in whichi I live so that will be of help.

I am excited to join the ranks of the retired or semi-retired. I want to spend the first month with my feet up, in front of the TV or a good book with the cat by my side in the oldest sweats I own. And not think about due dates, deadlines, demands and petty bosses.

A whole new chapter in my life will begin.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2010, 12:53 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,699,483 times
Congratulations on your retirement and discovering you'll have more income than expected.

Retirement for me has been a mixed bag. I enjoy the free time (what I have of it), but I find myself still trying to to remember what I have to do for clients tomorrow .

I "retired" July 1st. I do work occasionally, but only for certain clients, and only on a limited basis. I can work 140 hours in a year before going over the SS limit so I won't get too carried away.

Enjoy your freedom!!

Old 11-13-2010, 01:07 PM

16,431 posts, read 22,198,807 times
Please forgive what is a probably nosey question, but will you be getting more of your income from SS or from your 401K and other investments?

Old 11-13-2010, 01:22 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,449,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
Please forgive what is a probably nosey question, but will you be getting more of your income from SS or from your 401K and other investments?
I don't think it's nosy. I will be getting more from the SS payments.

Old 11-13-2010, 02:11 PM

14,016 posts, read 20,907,290 times
I think, from the facts you provided, that you made a very rational and logical decision. The penalty for taking your benefit just one year early (at 65 as opposed to 66) is fairly small, especially compared to taking it at 62, as I did and as so many people do. Good work, and enjoy yourself.

Old 11-13-2010, 03:14 PM

11,177 posts, read 16,018,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
I am excited to join the ranks of the retired or semi-retired. I want to spend the first month with my feet up, in front of the TV or a good book with the cat by my side in the oldest sweats I own. And not think about due dates, deadlines, demands and petty bosses.

A whole new chapter in my life will begin.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
Congratulations on your retirement and discovering you'll have more income than expected.
Let me add my best wishes as well. Congratulations!

Old 11-13-2010, 03:21 PM

555 posts, read 877,156 times
I retired on my 62nd birthday, May 5, but did not get the first check until August, 3 months later.

Old 11-13-2010, 03:25 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,699,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodomonte View Post
I retired on my 62nd birthday, May 5, but did not get the first check until August, 3 months later.
I didn't retire on May 5th (my 62nd birthday). I waited until July 1st. Nice to meet (sort of) someone who was born the same day I was.

Are you as bullheaded as I am?

Old 11-13-2010, 03:43 PM

419 posts, read 758,541 times
Congratulations Minervah! I know exactly what it is like to be trapped in a horrible work environment. Having to deal with enormous stress on a daily basis. I was lucky enough to get out at age 62. The day I walked away from my job was the happiest day of my life. I have never looked back and the nightmare of that existence is now gone forever. I am proud of you for sticking it out so long. I know it was not easy.

Old 11-13-2010, 07:33 PM

438 posts, read 1,115,350 times
Congratulations, Minervah! I know what you mean about the Dementors in the office! Enjoy!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement