Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2010, 07:04 AM

42 posts, read 167,683 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are in our early fifties and looking to retire within the next 15 months. We have lived for 30 years in Florida and are looking to move out west at retirement. We want to have options wherever we live so that we can remain active in retirement. I started looking into the Del Webb communities on the internet. The communities look like something we would enjoy, but then I saw a major lawsuit with construction problems concerning the same communities I was interested in: Sierra Canyon in Reno, and several of the Las Vegas communities. Specifically I was looking at Nevada because of taxes and the fact that Florida real estate has also been hit hard and I need to find a home in the 225,000 to 275,000 range -- but we are open to any ideas! I would appreciate any information on retiring to Nevada; retiring to any Del Webb community; or if someone has retired to another area/community that you highly recommend, please write. Thank you in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2010, 07:39 AM

14,229 posts, read 30,024,595 times
You might want to post on the Las Vegas forum. There are several realtors there who could give you an idea of how healthy these communities are financially. Check out the HOA's carefully...some are unduly restrictive and others are in bad shape because of all the foreclosures. Hang out and find out who actually lives there and who stays year round. How many units are rentals too.

I also retired to NV because I love the weather and the tax picture as well. I have always loved the desert. I never seriously considered an age restricted community because I like being around an age diverse population. I think it would be boring to be just with older people all the time.

Old 06-21-2010, 08:07 AM

11,175 posts, read 16,011,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flipsideoffifty View Post
My husband and I are in our early fifties and looking to retire within the next 15 months. We have lived for 30 years in Florida and are looking to move out west at retirement. We want to have options wherever we live so that we can remain active in retirement. I started looking into the Del Webb communities on the internet.
My wife and I also are in our early 50s and just retired to Vegas this year. When we started house-hunting last year our first thought was to move into a Del Webb "active adult retirement community." However, after a couple of tours it soon became apparent that the residents of these communities were for the most part quite a bit older than us. Although they are advertised as 55+, we found most of the resdients to be 65-70+. And when you think about it, it makes perfect sense because not that many people can retire at 55 (or earlier).

In lieu thereof, we decided to move to a country-club community that has social events (albeit not nearly as many organized activities as a Del Webb community), but whose residents are not all elderly.

We still like the retirement communities, but decided to wait another 10-15 years before we consider moving to one.

Old 06-21-2010, 08:51 AM

Thank you for your imput.

Old 06-21-2010, 12:00 PM

6,883 posts, read 11,239,181 times
Smile Interesting

You just answered a question I had posted in another thread. I don't want to move to one of these 55 plus areas at 67 to find out I should have done it at 59, for example.

Old 06-21-2010, 05:21 PM

2,847 posts, read 2,516,257 times
If you pursue a Del Webb community, beware that they are not all created equally. Construction, organization etc. We are in our second Del Webb, and no comparison between the two, not even on the same planet.

Old 06-21-2010, 07:38 PM

4,097 posts, read 11,475,860 times
Friend of ours is moving out of a Del Webb. Constructon has mostly come to a halt due to the economy. She said she did not believe the cliques that formed. It is too far away from town, etc.

They are at the younger end of the spectrum.

I looked them over at the Grand Opening and was unimpressed. Tacky for the most part. The design of the property is also not very creative. Rows and rows of houses all at the same distance to the street packed in together. No real privacy (and I like living in close situations.)

I agree that each development will be radically different.

Old 06-22-2010, 11:52 AM

AliveandwellinSA;
The community you are in now - are you happy with it?

I have been looking into things more and many have commented that because of concerns of Pulte I should only look at fully built out communities. Do you agree?

Old 06-22-2010, 03:56 PM

4,097 posts, read 11,475,860 times
I would only look at fully built out or fairly close to full build out. Reasons: Economy, you are always competing with builder incentives, you can try to identify the groups that have formed, and see the activities sorted out. Layout and landscaping are finished. Costs and constructions issues mostly resolved.

Basically, I want to see the "finished project" and not just a concept and I don't want construction around for 10 years..

Old 06-22-2010, 08:49 PM

2,847 posts, read 2,516,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flipsideoffifty View Post
AliveandwellinSA;
The community you are in now - are you happy with it?

I have been looking into things more and many have commented that because of concerns of Pulte I should only look at fully built out communities. Do you agree?
Love the community. the homes are not up to my standards, but many seem to accept things the way they are.

We moved from a Del Webb 100% built out, great home, great people, and great community center.

Once again do your homework by talking to residents, not the sales people.

Do a google search for Pulte sucks, very interesting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement