Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-21-2010, 05:58 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,454,370 times

Advertisements

My cousin sent me this, it was written by a 20 year old. It's a palindrome that has opposite meaning. My cousin will be 70 this year. She wonders which will come true.

I think it's interesting to see this kind of insight of a 20 year old. It shows either hope or dispair for the future. Your call. It's called U@ 50.

YouTube - Lost Generation
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2010, 07:06 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,867,563 times
I heard alot of this in the 60's but most found that it is not that clear and that sucees and the welfare of the nation depends on people both working and taking responsibility. Often times the so called environmental movement has doen more hram thqan good. its a matter of choices we all make in our lifes. In fact our choice and our dedicatio to the well being of our famles is drirectly related to our struggle to survive and achieve as always. There are people who do and those that talk as always.IUt ceertainly will not be the work of those that choose to let others achieve and do the work. That leads to dependence and unhappiness really and often self destructive behavior from feeling of worthlessness or blaming others to con the self.Its written by a 20 year old who has liitle experience in life and view things partly has a child would. Great intentions but so much work and achievemnt s to be done if she wants it to come true.I am gonna never did anything as they say.

Old 02-22-2010, 12:47 PM

51 posts, read 202,671 times
Is it the insight in the message that interested you?

Or the fact that read forward or backward, it provides opposite meanings?

In terms of insight, I didn't think it was all that impressive. But to have been written where it was readable forward or backward, and gave exact opposite meanings, that is very cool!

Old 02-22-2010, 11:55 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,454,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJRinCA View Post
Is it the insight in the message that interested you?

Or the fact that read forward or backward, it provides opposite meanings?

In terms of insight, I didn't think it was all that impressive. But to have been written where it was readable forward or backward, and gave exact opposite meanings, that is very cool!
I think it was insightful for a 20 year old. But yes I was more impressed at how she created a palindrome of that length. I couldn't do it.

Old 02-23-2010, 02:17 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,195,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
I think it was insightful for a 20 year old. But yes I was more impressed at how she created a palindrome of that length. I couldn't do it.
She has a viewpoint, a position, but that does not equal insight. She hasn't analyzed or discovered anything, she is simply making an assertion opposite to the one she was presented with.

That's not insight.

It doesn't strike me as what I thought a palindrome was either. I looked around and couldn't discover how it was, but maybe someone can find the type here, I didn't
Palindrome - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The rhetorical form she has used (it probably has a specific name) is a common one found in Buddhist religious sermonizing, and it is used in Christianity, and the West generally, but not usually at the same extended length.

Old 02-23-2010, 05:36 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,195,836 times
This is the original video, which was for the election of the president of Argentina, and it won an international prize - this, obviously, is an English language version for non-Argentinians. It has provided the model for the "Lost Generation" video which won second prize in an AARP contest.

YouTube - Lopez Murphy for president - Truth (Upside - Down)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement