Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2010, 07:41 AM

31,683 posts, read 41,045,989 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarathu View Post
My boss's husband worked the the Post office for 40 years. He gets a SS check and a government pension. Every day the check get deposited in his account and he holds up the slip and says,

"Look what I got today for doing .........nothing". He gets more income from the two of those together than he actually made when he was working. Aren't we supposed to downsize for retirement?

Z
The longer you work the greater your pension.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2010, 06:07 PM

4,135 posts, read 10,817,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicet4 View Post
Yesterday we checked our bank statement finding to our delight my wife just received her first pension check from a state retirement system.

Luckily it is from a state that has one of the more sound pension programs where they actually set the money aside to be invested in things other than government.

It wasn't much, most of her life she was a stay at home mom raising the children, but it's sweet. It's enough to pay all of our utility bills, even in the dead of winter when they are high, or make payments on a new but modest car. Or a real nice dinner for two every week or even dinner for two or even three times a week (doing the calculations in my head) at a more modest Red Lobster or Olive Garden.

We've been saying for some time when we get the first check we were going out to dinner so last night we did... drum roll... to Applebee's! The food was excellent especially since it felt like someone else was paying.

Until yesterday I couldn't imagine how sweet retirement could be.
Suggestion: Take at least half of the check and bank it. My husband and I do that with our Soc. Sec. ... we live on the pension.

Old 05-19-2010, 08:04 PM

10,834 posts, read 14,938,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuffaloTransplant View Post
Suggestion: Take at least half of the check and bank it. My husband and I do that with our Soc. Sec. ... we live on the pension.
I plan to work to age 70 then retiring for the higher benefits IF they still exist.

With everything paid off the plan is to bank 75% of my income between the time my wife starts to collect her social security and I finish working. Basically meeting most of our needs between her small pension check (dinner money) and her social security. If we save between $3,000 and $4,000 a month we'll have some serious cash in six years. Then again the plan now is to collect SS at age 70 and to continue working as long as I can not because I would have to but because I love working. Ideally I hope to be healthy enough to work to at least age 80.

I am one of those guys who would rather work and pay someone to to mow grass, weed and power wash the house.

When I can bank 100% of my paycheck I'll count myself as retired.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement