Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-14-2013, 09:05 AM

11,113 posts, read 19,547,135 times

Advertisements

Justice will finally be served on this animal, Pleau.

Supreme Court denies Pleau appeal | Turn to 10

.... the sooner the better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2013, 10:45 AM

564 posts, read 1,880,318 times
I hope, if convicted, he gets the chair.
Chafee is wrong on this one.....

Old 01-14-2013, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoventryDude View Post
I hope, if convicted, he gets the chair.
Chafee is wrong on this one.....
I'd even make a special trip up there to see that sub-human piece of garbage fry.

David Main was the son of my very best lifelong friends who will never recover from the loss of their precious and kind son.

Old 01-14-2013, 11:19 AM

9,294 posts, read 14,908,083 times
What Chafee is doing is not specifically protecting an individual criminal (as distasteful as that may be).

He is doing his job as governor by upholding the rights of the state versus the feds. I thought you conservatives loved that! If the feds win this one, it could set a real precedent for states' rights or lack thereof.

But perhaps seeing people fry like sub humans is more important than the fact that RI abolished capital punishment in the nineteenth century.

[from the article: He argued that the federal government is violating a legal agreement that authorizes the state to deny a request to transfer a prisoner. "This is a significant states' rights matter," Chafee said.]

Old 01-14-2013, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollytree View Post
What Chafee is doing is not specifically protecting an individual criminal (as distasteful as that may be).

He is doing his job as governor by upholding the rights of the state versus the feds. I thought you conservatives loved that! If the feds win this one, it could set a real precedent for states' rights or lack thereof.

But perhaps seeing people fry like sub humans is more important than the fact that RI abolished capital punishment in the nineteenth century.

[from the article: He argued that the federal government is violating a legal agreement that authorizes the state to deny a request to transfer a prisoner. "This is a significant states' rights matter," Chafee said.]

Significant horse hockey !

Old 01-14-2013, 02:07 PM

564 posts, read 1,880,318 times
David Main was a former coworkers uncle. I worked with him when it happened......

Chafee doesn't want him transferred because he may get the death penalty. States rights is his ploy. He, like most politicians, only care about what's expedient to them...or in Lincs case what his handlers feed him. I seriously doubt he is capable of composing the sentence "This is a significant states' rights matter" in his head on his own.

Old 01-14-2013, 02:57 PM

688 posts, read 2,135,144 times
Quote:
If the feds win this one, it could set a real precedent for states' rights or lack thereof.
Feds won this one. They can proceed with their case.

Old 01-14-2013, 03:44 PM

9,294 posts, read 14,908,083 times
Quote:
Chafee doesn't want him transferred because he may get the death penalty. States rights is his ploy. He, like most politicians, only care about what's expedient to them...or in Lincs case what his handlers feed him. I seriously doubt he is capable of composing the sentence "This is a significant states' rights matter" in his head on his own.
Yes, like I said, it is about the death penalty. Whether it was Chafee's idea or not- who knows- probably his advisors as you say. Maybe Pleau's attorneys got a court order- I don't know. I can't think what possible ulterior motive Chafee could have other than the death penalty issue. The guy apparently is a murderer. It will be interesting to see if this case sets some sort of precedent in terms of states' rights.

Old 01-14-2013, 04:47 PM

688 posts, read 2,135,144 times
Quote:
It will be interesting to see if this case sets some sort of precedent in terms of states' rights.
It will not. That issue is over and done with. The Appeals Court ordered the State of Rhode Island to turn Pleau over to the Federal Government. The U.S. Supreme Court denied certiorari, they will not review the Appeals Court's decision. Pleau goes to the Feds and they will start the trial process. The issue of State vs. Federal Government is off the table.

Old 01-15-2013, 09:24 AM

2,040 posts, read 3,998,298 times
Quote:
David Main was a former coworkers uncle. I worked with him when it happened......

How is it expedient to Chafee? He's unpopular already and this issue bought him no reprieve in that regard.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island