Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2013, 09:13 PM

688 posts, read 2,135,144 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollytree View Post
Read the law again.
Got anything else besides that? Otherwise, I still don't see your point.

Quote:
The driver of a vehicle within an intersection intended to turn to the left or right shall yield the right-of-way to any vehicle approaching from the opposite direction which is within the intersection or so close to it as to constitute an immediate hazard, or shall yield to a pedestrian intending to cross within a crosswalk which the driver of the vehicle must travel to make the left or right turn.
The car going into the intersection wishing to make a left turn has to yield to traffic coming from the opposing direction if that traffic is close enough to risk bumping into the car wanting to turn.

Quote:
The driver, having so yielded and having given a signal when and as required by chapter 16 of this title, may make the left or right turn, and the drivers of all other vehicles approaching the intersection from the opposite direction shall yield the right of way to the vehicle making the left or right turn.
After yielding and signaling, the driver of the vehicle wishing to turn may make the turn when there is no more immediate hazard risk. The vehicle turns. At this point, opposing direction traffic must yield to the turning vehicle.

So please, enlighten me where I don't understand the statute.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2013, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiderman View Post
So if both vehicles are facing each other and the light turns green, the a&& who turns left in front of the person travelling straight is CORRECT?? We're doomed.
No. The vehicle wishing to make a left turn has to yield until there is an opportunity to make the left turn safely. Then, any car coming towards the direction going straight must yield as the turning vehicle completes its turn.

Old 04-05-2013, 04:50 AM

2,903 posts, read 3,458,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GermanSpy View Post
Yeah. You'll hate it. Sorry.
But it's a brand-new building with views of the water -- it's not some abandoned WWII facility! (That bad, huh?)

Old 04-05-2013, 06:49 AM

5,314 posts, read 7,786,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GermanSpy View Post
No. The vehicle wishing to make a left turn has to yield until there is an opportunity to make the left turn safely. Then, any car coming towards the direction going straight must yield as the turning vehicle completes its turn.
OK, that makes much more sense.. Yes, I would assume it is frowned upon to T-bone a left-turning car LOL. I was under the assumption Holly was saying that when the light turns green the left-turner has right of way. I see it every day, and it drives me nuts. We moved to New England in the 80s and my 5'1" mother was driving a 1979 Jeep Cherokee Chief with a 390c.i. engine and would simply floor it with the horn a'blarin'. People didn't turn left in front of her

Old 04-05-2013, 06:50 AM

5,314 posts, read 7,786,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlfieBoy View Post
But it's a brand-new building with views of the water -- it's not some abandoned WWII facility! (That bad, huh?)
I like Quonset. The only bad thing is, as they say in Maine, "You can't get there from hea"..

Old 04-05-2013, 08:56 AM

2,040 posts, read 3,998,298 times
Quote:
Oh wait, nvm.. it says if the left-turner has "signalled".. never going to happen in RI lol
BA-BOOM! Thank you, and don't forget to enjoy the buffet ladies and gentlemen! haha

Old 04-05-2013, 09:31 AM

2,463 posts, read 2,789,448 times
Quote:
So if both vehicles are facing each other and the light turns green, the a&& who turns left in front of the person travelling straight is CORRECT?? We're doomed.
I don't think so. It's only IF the person turning left is already there, and the oncoming person was not stopped at the light, but much further back. If both, the oncoming person, and the person turning left are at the intersection at the same time, then the person going straight has the right of way. The person turning left is entering the oncoming persons lane, therefore the person turning would be at fault if a collision were to occur, assuming both cars were at the intersection at approximately the same time.

Old 04-05-2013, 04:18 PM

Quote:
OK, that makes much more sense.. Yes, I would assume it is frowned upon to T-bone a left-turning car LOL. I was under the assumption Holly was saying that when the light turns green the left-turner has right of way.
I honestly don't know what Holly is saying. But no, this whole darting into an intersection and then zooming left in front of oncoming traffic thing is certainly not the way to go. You're correct though about the fact that people do it all the time. Doesn't make it right and is probably a reason why we're paying nice insurance premiums.

Old 04-05-2013, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Yeaahh...I dunno, I am afraid you'll really won't find it much fun. You seem to be the urban groovy type. Quonset is about as urban and groovy as Charlton Heston.

Old 04-06-2013, 02:57 PM

4,405 posts, read 3,197,140 times
Quote:
No, it's not that bad. My father and sister both work there - actually my Dad works for QDC - and Quonset is growing like crazy. I recently heard some statistic along the lines of 'during rush hour more people are travelling to and from Quonset Point than to any other single destination.' I wish I could remember the specific number because it blew my mind, but I don't want to throw out numbers I can't back up.

At lunch, you can walk to the beach depending where you are - a rare free beach in RI. My sister really enjoys that about working there.

(Well, actually, all state beaches are free, it's the parking that costs money. In this case, the parking is at Blue Beach is free as well.)

It's not the urban environment you'd like but neither is Warwick - isn't that where you are now? Actually, I thought they were putting in a train station there, so maybe one day that'll be an option. They do have bus service, but it might not be practical.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island