Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-23-2013, 06:44 PM

2,903 posts, read 3,455,501 times

Advertisements

I'm reading a book, "Sons of Providence," which is about John and Moses Brown. A street keeps being mentioned, "Towne Street," but the book doesn't say what the street's modern name is (though I suspect it's Benefit). Does anyone know?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2013, 06:54 PM

688 posts, read 2,134,315 times
Towne Street is what we call North and South Main Street today. The stretch between Wickenden and Olney (?), I believe.

Old 06-24-2013, 12:21 AM

30 posts, read 60,364 times
Right, Towne Street is what is today N/S Main from Olney to Wickenden. Benefit Street was added as an additional street "for the Benefit" of the people of the town, in the (I believe) mid-18th century.

Old 06-24-2013, 06:50 AM

9,283 posts, read 14,890,077 times
For the first 100 years from 1636, Towne Street was the main street in Providence. Benefit St (or initially Back Street) was established mostly for the benefit of the members of the First Congregational Society whose church was at College Hill and Benefit. To avoid the hill, they needed a cross street. Problem was Towne street residents owned the lots a long way up the hill and had their family graveyards behind the houses. So when it was first laid out, Benefit was very twisty. Ultimately, most of the graves were moved to the new (now called) North Main Burial Grounds and the street straightened out, although the Tillinghasts (and maybe some others) still have a grave site on Benefit itself.

Old 06-24-2013, 09:12 AM

9,981 posts, read 8,586,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollytree View Post
although the Tillinghasts (and maybe some others) still have a grave site on Benefit itself.
Are any of the immediate family members of Sarah Tillinghast, or herself (without her heart),
buried there ?
A True Rhode Island Vampire | Vampires.com
there is also a Tillinghast Drive in Warwick, just in back of Warwick Ice Cream. must be a family connection

Old 06-26-2013, 01:17 AM

591 posts, read 820,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlfieBoy View Post
I'm reading a book, "Sons of Providence," which is about John and Moses Brown. A street keeps being mentioned, "Towne Street," but the book doesn't say what the street's modern name is (though I suspect it's Benefit). Does anyone know?
You should be reading "The Prince of Providence," never mind "Sons of Providence"! What kind of Rhode Islander are you?! LOL.

Old 06-26-2013, 02:03 PM

2,903 posts, read 3,455,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZonaZoo View Post
You should be reading "The Prince of Providence," never mind "Sons of Providence"! What kind of Rhode Islander are you?! LOL.
Not a very practiced one, I'm afraid.

I did read "The Prince of Providence," thought it was a really good book. Can't wait to read "Politics and Pasta" -- it's on my summer's reading list.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island