Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2014, 04:40 PM

4,420 posts, read 3,201,746 times

Advertisements

Poll: Elorza has 10-point lead on Cianci | wpri.com

"In the mayor’s race, Brown conducted two polls. The first was taken Oct 14-17 and showed Elorza up 48% to 37%; the second, taken five days later, gave Elorza a 10-point lead.
The Providence-only poll included 63% Democrats. 5% Republicans and 28% independents. About 24% of the respondents came from the East Side; 23% came from the 02908 zip code, which is most of the northwestern part of the city; and 22% came from the South Side. The rest of the voters came from downtown, Federal Hill, Charles, Wanskuck and Silver Lake,"

The margin of error was 4%.

Another Brown University Poll has Raimondo ahead of Fung 42 to 31%, with 9% for Healey. (I'll be interested to see if that 9% holds)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2014, 04:45 PM

2,903 posts, read 3,459,436 times
^ Get out of here! You're joking -- I hope it's true.

Look, I'm all for the rehabilitation and re-socialization of anti-social, psychopathic sex offenders and recidivist felons like Mr. Cianci. As maybe a bus boy -- not mayor. No no no.

Let's hope the poll holds true.

As to Healy. While I've committed my vote as a write in for IM, I don't know that RI ballots permit write ins. If not, I'm voting Healy, My conscience does not permit me to vote for a harlot from Wall Street, whom I suggest will be sharing a cell in a fed SuperMax with Buddy (should he win) within a couple of years. While they vary in intellectual pedigree, they are both gutter dwellers, and bait for the federal penal industry.

Old 10-23-2014, 05:30 PM

23,619 posts, read 18,749,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsonik View Post
Poll: Elorza has 10-point lead on Cianci | wpri.com

"In the mayor’s race, Brown conducted two polls. The first was taken Oct 14-17 and showed Elorza up 48% to 37%; the second, taken five days later, gave Elorza a 10-point lead.
The Providence-only poll included 63% Democrats. 5% Republicans and 28% independents. About 24% of the respondents came from the East Side; 23% came from the 02908 zip code, which is most of the northwestern part of the city; and 22% came from the South Side. The rest of the voters came from downtown, Federal Hill, Charles, Wanskuck and Silver Lake,"

The margin of error was 4%.

Another Brown University Poll has Raimondo ahead of Fung 42 to 31%, with 9% for Healey. (I'll be interested to see if that 9% holds)
What kind of record do Brown polls have as far as reliability? I ask that because their methodology appears a little suspect. 63% Democrats to 28% Independents??? Statewide, Independent voters far outweigh Democrat (and Republican) voters. Is it that much different for Providence? Wouldn't think so.

The above nasty and obscene post is not fit for C-D, I really don't know where that kind of hate comes from.

Old 10-23-2014, 05:45 PM

Here's a sample ballot. http://sos.ri.gov/documents/election...11/04/2804.pdf

You can do write-ins for any office; it's the last line in each section

Old 10-23-2014, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Here's a sample ballot. http://sos.ri.gov/documents/election...11/04/2804.pdf

You can do write-ins for any office; it's the last line in each section
So, like, is there an app for that? I don't think I own a pen. Will they loan me a pen at the polling station, do you think?

Old 10-23-2014, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
What kind of record do Brown polls have as far as reliability? I ask that because their methodology appears a little suspect. 63% Democrats to 28% Independents??? Statewide, Independent voters far outweigh Democrat (and Republican) voters. Is it that much different for Providence? Wouldn't think so.
Years ago, Independents far outnumbered Democrats - even though they voted Democrat - but for the past few years more and more people are just registering Democrat and not bothering to disaffiliate. Unless things have changed a lot from 2013

In May of 2013, the 290,397 registered Democratic Party voters composed 40.1 percent of the total electorate. The Republican Party’s 74,070 voters were 10.2 percent of all registered voters and the independent, unaffiliated slice of voters were 49.5 percent at 358,045. There were also 1,394 Moderate Party enrolled voters, which was .002 percent of the total.

In Providence, 57.6% are registered as Democrat.

I don't know how accurate the Taubman Center has been in the past' a cursory look at their site lists a lot of public opinion polls that weren't necessarily ever proven by a vote. Here's the site if you want to know more about them or their methodology. It doesn't appear they have the details of this latest poll up there yet. Public Opinion Polls | Taubman Center for Public Policy & American Institutions

If you're right and Independents are a larger percentage, it will probably make the results closer but it won't change them. Independents are tied on Elorza and Cianci. But Elorza got 55% of Democrats and 18% of Republicans. In such a Democratic city it's quite possible that Buddy's 67.9% Republican backing and 31.9% Democratic support can't beat Elorza's 55% Democratic /17.9% Republican backing. Elorza got more support from Republicans than Harrop did! Who would have predicted that? I've been saying right along, that there are a lot of Republicans who really, really hate Cianci. More so than Democrats, in my experience - and especially true for non-Providence Republicans, though that's irrelevant here. But it's why he could never move beyond mayor of PVD.

Elorza definitely needs to worry about that undecided Democratic vote though.

Old 10-23-2014, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlfieBoy View Post
So, like, is there an app for that? I don't think I own a pen. Will they loan me a pen at the polling station, do you think?
You can be assured they will.

If that's a slam on paper ballots, I'm not buying in, especially after all the problems states with Diebold machines have had. It certainly never put my mind at ease that the president of Diebold promised the Republicans would win the election either.

In RI, our paper ballots are scanned and counted very efficiently. Wait and see - there's never any weird delay waiting for our results on election night.

Old 10-23-2014, 06:53 PM

Quote:
You can be assured they will.

If that's a slam on paper ballots, I'm not buying in, especially after all the problems states with Diebold machines have had. It certainly never put my mind at ease that the president of Diebold promised the Republicans would win the election either.

In RI, our paper ballots are scanned and counted very efficiently. Wait and see - there's never any weird delay waiting for our results on election night.
That's much better -- much relieved.

You Rhode Islanders! Bragging about your new fangled "voting machines." Give me the old http://www.city-data.com/forum/membe...e19n-1-web.jpg NYC clunkers. They have these neat switches and you can vote straight Dem with the flip of one switch (which I always did, apart from when Gina's pal, Hillary "Wall Street Owns Me" Clinton was on the ticket. Then, (sigh), I had to go manual and vote "The Rent Is Too Damn High Party" candidate for senate. Just loved the ca-chunk! the machines made when you executed your ballot(s).

Still remember the near riot when some oddball woman stood in line with a McCain pin on her Talbots' coat -- Her poor mother has never been called such things (but not by me, of course).

Last edited by CaseyB; 10-26-2014 at 04:33 AM..

Old 10-23-2014, 07:04 PM

23,619 posts, read 18,749,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlfieBoy View Post
Still remember the near riot when some oddball woman stood in line with a McCain pin on her Talbots' coat -- Her poor mother has never been called such things (but not by me, of course).
Classy New Yorkers...

Old 10-23-2014, 07:24 PM

Alfie, we don't even HAVE voting machines. We did when I was a kid, but no longer. I feel cheated. There's no curtains, no ka-chung, no voting lever.

Instead we draw arrows on our ballots. Kind of an elaborate connect the dots game.

Exercise your writing/coloring hand!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
View detailed profiles of: