Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2014, 09:13 AM

23,619 posts, read 18,749,452 times

Advertisements

Running against his ideas and record doesn't work, so why not give support to thy enemy? I think this is very low class, and I have lost a lot of respect for Harrop because of. He is what you call a spoiler (or potential one).

GOP’s Harrop donates $1,000 to Elorza in race for Providence mayor | wpri.com

People like this cannot be trusted, and trust is HUGE. He pretty much cost himself whatever political future he had, as RI is very unforgiving to Republicans who slip. The standards are different for Dems. Not right perhaps, but it is what it is...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2014, 09:24 AM

8,031 posts, read 4,705,872 times
Disappointment aside, Harrop remains one of the only politicians in the state who will talk about the biggest elephant in the room - Providence's unfunded retirement benefits debt. In a very few years, it will be ALL that matters. If resolved, the problem will make Raimondo's saving of the state's pension plan seem like child's play.

Old 10-21-2014, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by independent man View Post
Disappointment aside, Harrop remains one of the only politicians in the state who will talk about the biggest elephant in the room - Providence's unfunded retirement benefits debt. In a very few years, it will be ALL that matters. If resolved, the problem will make Raimondo's saving of the state's pension plan seem like child's play.
Agree, and kudos to him for at least pushing conversation on the topic. This action however (giving support to Elorza), completely counteracts whatever good deed done from educating people on the problem. His real motive isn't to fix the city's finances, it's to beat Buddy. But I guess as long as it got people talking...

Old 10-21-2014, 10:16 AM

2,903 posts, read 3,459,436 times
Quote:
Harrop responded: “While I regret this endorsement and the public support of Mr. Elorza coming from Republicans both inside and outside Providence, including the state party, I certainly can understand and empathize with it. This is a very difficult election for many people. The return of Mr. Cianci to City Hall would be an unmitigated disaster. His long history of criminal behavior, from the rape accusation while in law school to his imprisonment, as well as his financial incompetence, would finish off the city financially and culturally."

“I recognize many of my fellow Republicans and supporters are troubled about voting for the progressive Democratic agenda of Mr. Elorza, despite him being an honorable and just man. They will never vote for Mr. Cianci. Many are pessimistic that my election effort will succeed, including, frankly, me. I acknowledge that there has been a slow drift of Republicans over to supporting Mr. Elorza, as the “best viable alternative” in the Providence mayoral election, and so understand Mr. Talan’s endorsement and Mr. Paquin’s accepting Elorza literature into RI GOP Headquarters. Mr. Elorza's campaign is picking up bipartisan support," Harrop continued.

Harrop said, "I want to again make it clear that my donation to Mr. Elorza was only to help him get his message out and continue the respectful debate the two of us have had over Providence’s future. I have not had even one donor to my campaign complain of this action and ask for their money back. I have not endorsed Mr. Elorza. I am not withdrawing from this race. The Republican Party of Providence has a clear message that I will continue to put forward until election day."
Sounds like Mr. Harrop cares more about the people and the city of Providence than he does about his political future. He's to be applauded. Of course, those who feel all butt-hurt with Harrop's contribution could always crack open their wallet and donate $1,000 to Former Inmate 0700-0500. Sort of, you know, balance things out?

Old 10-21-2014, 01:53 PM

4,420 posts, read 3,201,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
Running against his ideas and record doesn't work, so why not give support to thy enemy? I think this is very low class, and I have lost a lot of respect for Harrop because of. He is what you call a spoiler (or potential one).

GOP’s Harrop donates $1,000 to Elorza in race for Providence mayor | wpri.com

People like this cannot be trusted, and trust is HUGE. He pretty much cost himself whatever political future he had, as RI is very unforgiving to Republicans who slip. The standards are different for Dems. Not right perhaps, but it is what it is...
Were you not aware that Harrop donated to Taveras in the past?

Or that he's made it crystal clear his end goal is ANYONE BUT CIANCI, whether that meant he dropped out of the race or not?

Elorza is not an enemy of the city. Petty partisan differences between parties pale in comparison to the difference between honest governance and Cianci.

Old 10-21-2014, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsonik View Post
Were you not aware that Harrop donated to Taveras in the past?
No I must have overlooked that. Why would he have donated to Taveras if his main goal is defeating Cianci? Just sounds like a general traitor to me.

Now to all you Buddy haters, tell me about Elorza's plan to fix the pensions and city finances?

Old 10-21-2014, 05:31 PM

8,031 posts, read 4,705,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
No I must have overlooked that. Why would he have donated to Taveras if his main goal is defeating Cianci? Just sounds like a general traitor to me.

Now to all you Buddy haters, tell me about Elorza's plan to fix the pensions and city finances?
Neither Elorza or Cianci have a plan to fix the grossly underfunded retirement benefits system. And, any plan either might have in their mind would be bitter news likely to lose either of them votes. But, please don't forget Cianci is largely responsible for the problem to begin with by approving 6% COLAs then underfunding the pension plan year after year afterwards. What a fix we're in!

Old 10-21-2014, 05:45 PM

9,981 posts, read 8,597,807 times
This is so pathetic I don't know what to type.
I'll tell you there are some good young and old Republicans
in this state, and people are going to have to vote for them
if they want any change at all, because you're not going to get it
from the Democrats. I have two close friends who barely lost seats.
I know others who are sitting and I can only imagine how upset they
are to hear this !! Harrop should be stripped of the nomination by the party.
He never really was IN the party, being a one shot deal. It is sad.
What's just as sad is that the so-called Moderate party is now just a
back-door hack for the Democrats to get them elected by making the
Governor's race 3-way again.
I have no idea what kind of hypocratic "principles" Harrop has if he
is going to donate to a candidate that wants to spend all his time
lobbying for more debt and grants for the city, borrow ad nauseum
while he portends to want to balance the books, this is a FARCE.
Elect Cianci.

Reached Sunday night, Cianci called Harrop’s decision to donate to Elorza “an insult to the Republican Party.”
“This brings tag-team wrestling to a new level,” Cianci said. “It’s a fraud, it’s a scheme and it’s a scam on the city of Providence’s voters.”

Old 10-21-2014, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowball7 View Post
This is so pathetic I don't know what to type.
I'll tell you there are some good young and old Republicans
in this state, and people are going to have to vote for them
if they want any change at all, because you're not going to get it
from the Democrats. I have two close friends who barely lost seats.
I know others who are sitting and I can only imagine how upset they
are to hear this !! Harrop should be stripped of the nomination by the party.
He never really was IN the party, being a one shot deal. It is sad.
What's just as sad is that the so-called Moderate party is now just a
back-door hack for the Democrats to get them elected by making the
Governor's race 3-way again.
I have no idea what kind of hypocratic "principles" Harrop has if he
is going to donate to a candidate that wants to spend all his time
lobbying for more debt and grants for the city, borrow ad nauseum
while he portends to want to balance the books, this is a FARCE.
Elect Cianci.

Reached Sunday night, Cianci called Harrop’s decision to donate to Elorza “an insult to the Republican Party.”
“This brings tag-team wrestling to a new level,” Cianci said. “It’s a fraud, it’s a scheme and it’s a scam on the city of Providence’s voters.”
Excellently put.

I'm not a Republican myself, but the only way RI will be saved is if more balance is achieved.

Old 10-21-2014, 06:10 PM

2,903 posts, read 3,459,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by independent man View Post
Neither Elorza or Cianci have a plan to fix the grossly underfunded retirement benefits system. And, any plan either might have in their mind would be bitter news likely to lose either of them votes. But, please don't forget Cianci is largely responsible for the problem to begin with by approving 6% COLAs then underfunding the pension plan year after year afterwards. What a fix we're in!
"Forget?" How about "admit?" Because that poster only sees, from his faraway domicile outside of Providence, a Buddy who's "tough," who's "manly," who's "decisive." LOL! "Tough" Buddy, who needed the protection of an armed PVD police office to beat a captive man. "Manly" Buddy, who, all evidence being open, indicates Buddy raped a woman. "Decisive," another great big LOL! 6% COLA increases? That creature has destroyed the structure of the city of Providence's governmental budget. And were the twice convicted felon returned to office, PVD can wave "bu-buy" to any respectable investors or developers. But of course these sidewalk superintendents have no vote, so who really cares what they spout off about, right?

The only "good news" about Cianci being elected, apart from a third perp-walk, is the income PVD hotels will get from FBI agents and other feds taking up full-time rez.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island