Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2021, 11:08 AM

23,577 posts, read 18,730,403 times

Advertisements

When is this nonsense going to end?

https://turnto10.com/news/local/poli...n-atv-incident

"(WJAR) — Three individuals have been arrested after a Cranston officer was injured following an incident with ATV and motorcycle riders, according to the Cranston Police Department.
The incident occurred Friday afternoon after a Cranston officer observed a group of approximately thirty riders in motorcycles and ATVs along Atwood Avenue in Cranston.
The department says the riders were driving recklessly and one intentionally blocked traffic on Atwood Avenue.
That rider was identified as 23-year-old Shyanne Boisvert of North Providence."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2021, 11:22 AM

7,817 posts, read 2,901,623 times
Quote:
When is this nonsense going to end?

In Cranston? Pretty damn quickly. In Providence it's been happening for a while now - but this kind of thing has never happened in Western Cranston before. And the Police swiftly putting a stop to it - unlike in Providence where their behavior is coddled - makes me believe we're sending a strong message to these crooks.

In fact, an article I read this morning in the Cranston Herald sort of embodies the spirit of the new incoming Administration. One line in particular leapt off the page:

Quote:
The mayor-elect also said he hopes to pursue an “anti-graffiti program” as part of his focus on aesthetic improvements to Cranston. He suggested increasing fines for violators as a potential course of action.

“It makes our city look bad, and we need to stop it at the borders,” he said. “If Providence is OK with it, that’s their business … I just think it’s the beginning stages of blight in the city. I want to eradicate it right away.”
https://cranstononline.com/stories/h...y-to-go,157625

(Emphasis added.)

Clearly Mayor Hopkins is drawing a line in the sand between the way "Woke" Providence runs its affairs (or doesn't depending on one's point of view), and the way the state's second largest city does.

With that kind of talk, I wouldn't rule out a run for some sort of state wide office one day for ole' Ken.

Last edited by RhodyRepub; 01-03-2021 at 11:31 AM..

Old 01-03-2021, 11:30 AM

Good. Easier said than done though. I mean in a case where they know in advance that these villains are headed in their direction, they can stop it at the border (as they successfully did a recent time a parade of them were headed out Elmwood Ave.). Hope they can keep putting a lid on it and good for Hopkins in showing some leadership on the matter.

Old 01-03-2021, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
Good. Easier said than done though. I mean in a case where they know in advance that these villains are headed in their direction, they can stop it at the border (as they successfully did a recent time a parade of them were headed out Elmwood Ave.). Hope they can keep putting a lid on it and good for Hopkins in showing some leadership on the matter.

Just compare the way the Police reacted in Cranston vs. Providence. Sure, there was the kerfuffle with the kid on the ATV who may have been hit by a Police car - but that was after like a hundred other incidents.

This was the first ATV incident in Cranston that I'm aware of, and the Police shut it down on the spot.

That, and the fact that (despite outcries from the SJW crowd) Hopkins has kept Police Chief Winquist at the helm, says quite a bit.

People in Cranston won't tolerate this nonsense. That's why, last summer, when Providence had rioting and looting, we juxtaposed it with Back The Blue rallies.

Old 01-03-2021, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RhodyRepub View Post
Just compare the way the Police reacted in Cranston vs. Providence. Sure, there was the kerfuffle with the kid on the ATV who may have been hit by a Police car - but that was after like a hundred other incidents.

This was the first ATV incident in Cranston that I'm aware of, and the Police shut it down on the spot.

That, and the fact that (despite outcries from the SJW crowd) Hopkins has kept Police Chief Winquist at the helm, says quite a bit.

People in Cranston won't tolerate this nonsense. That's why, last summer, when Providence had rioting and looting, we juxtaposed it with Back The Blue rallies.

Does Cranston have a no chase policy (when it comes to these off road vehicles), or no?

Old 01-03-2021, 05:16 PM

8,499 posts, read 4,563,867 times
These ATV and dirt bike riders should not be on the streets. They are a danger to all.

Old 01-03-2021, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
Does Cranston have a no chase policy (when it comes to these off road vehicles), or no?

Very good question. I'm not sure, but I'm fairly comfortable in guessing that we do not - otherwise I have a feeling that would have been raised as a point in the article.

I could be wrong of course.

Providence certainly does.

But we handle these things differently. Therefore, I would not be surprised that even if a policy exists, it would be readily dispatched.

Old 01-03-2021, 06:32 PM

17,748 posts, read 9,202,314 times
More info. Watch videos.

Police: Cranston officer struck, injured by group of dirt bikers

"Three suspects are in custody after a Cranston police officer was struck and injured by a group of dirt bike and ATV riders, according to Cranston Police Chief Colonel Michael Winquist."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b90SSp_tCic

Old 01-03-2021, 06:34 PM

17,748 posts, read 9,202,314 times
Surveillance video captures moments leading up to altercation between Cranston police officer and AT

"Surveillance video captures moments leading up to altercation between Cranston police officer and ATV rider"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D9WVVDme7AA

Old 01-03-2021, 06:40 PM

Looks like some good police work, and a reminder of the risks they go through every day to protect us all. Glad none of the injuries are serious.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island