Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2016, 05:46 AM

9,298 posts, read 14,913,687 times

Advertisements

Although CCRI has already been holding some classes in Westerly, it now plans to build a satellite campus in Westerly. The $5.1 million project will be built on a vacant freight yard near the Connecticut border.

The new campus will focus on training students in specialized tradesman skills such as carpentry, maritime pipefitting and sheet metal work. Electric Boat will help design the curriculum.

Part of Raimondo's plan to train a segment of the population in technical skills.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2016, 08:49 AM

4,408 posts, read 3,200,010 times
That's great news and makes a lot of sense as Electric Boat has been struggling to find qualified workers for a long time.

Old 02-09-2016, 09:38 AM

1,549 posts, read 3,056,786 times
good news for Westerly area, but how are those who need to be trained from the Providence area to get there? EB use to have an apprentice program why is this suddenly available. And its location will allow those from Connecticut to readily get there. Nothing against them, but those Ct. students will also pay R.I. instate tuition, not out of state tuition.

Old 02-09-2016, 10:37 AM

4,408 posts, read 3,200,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr2448 View Post
good news for Westerly area, but how are those who need to be trained from the Providence area to get there? EB use to have an apprentice program why is this suddenly available. And its location will allow those from Connecticut to readily get there. Nothing against them, but those Ct. students will also pay R.I. instate tuition, not out of state tuition.
I think I'm missing your point.

Wouldn't those from the Providence area have faced the same obstacles in getting to Electric Boat for training?

And why would the CT students pay RI tuition rates?

Old 02-09-2016, 11:02 AM

9,298 posts, read 14,913,687 times
Quote:
Are you thinking of this? Tuition breaks are regional for New Englanders. I believe it works when a particular program is not available in your state. This is, of course, reciprocal for RIers.

Overview - New England Board of Higher Education : New England Board of Higher Education

The need is for thousands of trained workers to build new subs so the jobs will be numerous for the region.

Old 02-09-2016, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollytree View Post
Are you thinking of this? Tuition breaks are regional for New Englanders. I believe it works when a particular program is not available in your state. This is, of course, reciprocal for RIers.

Overview - New England Board of Higher Education : New England Board of Higher Education

The need is for thousands of trained workers to build new subs so the jobs will be numerous for the region.
Yes, Holly that is the program.

Sand: there is transport to those who need it, for a fee, to both EB locations for Rhode Islanders. It is a Connecticut company using mini vans. We have many in Glocester who use it.

Old 02-09-2016, 04:25 PM

5,314 posts, read 7,788,793 times
Quote:
Are there no longer cars in Providence? It's a 45 minute drive, not 45 hours..

Old 02-09-2016, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiderman View Post
Are there no longer cars in Providence? It's a 45 minute drive, not 45 hours..
not everyone wants a car or owns a car. I would think that most of those who might want to make the effort will get there, but now that you build it public transport has to reach it. Most state public buildings in Rhode Island can be reached by bus. Just for info, the Westerly train station is next door to this facility.

Old 02-09-2016, 07:26 PM

2,811 posts, read 2,185,345 times
It would depend on the class schedule, but it could be as simple as allowing reverse-peak riders on the 95X. The Westerly Flex also connects with the 14 and 66 at Salt Pond Plaza.

There's also Amtrak, but that could get expensive for a student commuter.

Old 02-09-2016, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mp775 View Post
It would depend on the class schedule, but it could be as simple as allowing reverse-peak riders on the 95X. The Westerly Flex also connects with the 14 and 66 at Salt Pond Plaza.

There's also Amtrak, but that could get expensive for a student commuter.
good points, but this could be the push the state needs to expand MBTA service to Westerly or initiate its own service between Woonsocket and Westerly (my thoughts not the state).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island