Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-04-2008, 02:10 PM

67 posts, read 266,879 times

Advertisements

Hi all, looking into Bristol as a possible new town for us, but are aware that the schools are less than desirable. Does anybody know the private school drill in the area, outside of commuting to Providence that is. I think I know of one school (St. Philomena's)? Is that just a high school? Are there other non-religious private schools in the area? How about elem and middle schools? Just wondering, love the town but just looking for some options as far as schooling. I know Portsmouth is right there and reportedly has much better schools, but we love the whole little town thing. Thanks for any input.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2008, 06:12 PM

369 posts, read 1,961,168 times
Not sure of the age of your children...My daughter goes to Portsmouth Abbey School, which is a Catholic boarding and day school. Although she boards, many of her friends are day students from Bristol, which is just a quick commute over the bridge. If you are looking for high schools, we have nothing but the highest regard for the Abbey. Wish I knew more to help, but we are in CA.

Good luck.

Old 09-04-2008, 09:05 PM

thanks for the reply dougnaie, sorry i didn't specify, we've got a little one not even in school yet, so the whole thing matters K-12. I actually have heard of portsmouth abbey, something to look into.

Old 09-05-2008, 11:28 AM

15 posts, read 104,855 times
St. Philomena's is just over the bridge in Portsmouth and is quite popular. They start with a pre k program, but you need to be on a wait list. There is also another Catholic school in Barrington called St. Luke School. It is a smaller school but is also well-liked and has a great community feel. Many students from Bristol go to both of these.

Pennfield school in Portsmouth is pricey. If you were going public Barrington and Portsmouth both have good schools. Elmhurst in Portsmouth is the most popular.

We love Bristol as well, but have heard negative things about the schools (budget problems) so have held off.

Old 09-05-2008, 07:20 PM

yes, it's a shame isn't it? it's such a great little town, we're keeping portsmouth in mind because of the schools- it would obviously be more cost-effective not to have to dish out for private ( and not that you'd have to twist my arm to get me to live in portsmouth) but we would love to be right in-town bristol within walking to shops, coffee etc. isn't it too bad that you can't seem to find one thing without the other?

Old 09-06-2008, 02:20 PM

15 posts, read 104,855 times
I agree...we are in Middletown right now and find that I do miss being able to go out my door and walk to a park or coffee shop. We moved here from living in Boston where we walked everywhere. I love being by the water, but you really need to make an effort to get out and see people. It is a trade off of living in more of a suburban environment.

Old 09-10-2008, 07:36 AM

257 posts, read 1,335,808 times
St. Andrews in Barrington is a good school, though quite expensive.

Old 09-10-2008, 03:12 PM

Thanks for your answers. And while we would love to live in Bristol, and it's at pretty much the top of our list for RI, we are also toying with the idea of moving to Portsmouth (NH). It seems to be about the same size as Bristol (20,000) or so and it has a cool, small walk-around city feel to it as well as it being on the water. I'm not one hundred percent sure if the schools are better than Bristol, but from what I've checked so far, they look like they are. I know the property taxes are higher in NH, but if it would save on private school tuition I'm thinking it would be worth it. I'm not sure about the weather difference, I'm assuming it's a colder winter, but since it's on the coast, would it be *that* much colder? The other thing is we have people in RI and don't know a soul in that part of NH, still a few hours to visit family may not be a bad thing. Don't know if anyone will have info/opinions on NH vs. RI. just thought I'd throw it out there. Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Old 09-11-2008, 08:51 AM

257 posts, read 1,335,808 times
Portsmouth, NH is a really cool little town. They have a nice downtown with lot's of stores. Property tax in NH is high but there is no state sales tax or income tax, so it evens out. The weather is colder and snowier than RI, though it is subject to the same warm sea-breezes that we get that give us more rain than snow in most winter storms.

Old 09-15-2008, 12:53 PM

it's getting to be a tough decision
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island