Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-13-2020, 08:12 AM

8,031 posts, read 4,702,129 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
Also remember that these "civil servant" types enjoy good benefits and stability, and sometimes even modest raises during tough times (but not always)...they don't get the lavish pay and bonuses many in the private sector do during "good" times.
Understand the traffic overtime opportunities are good. Long hours, but apparently the money adds up in addition to base salaries. Probably best to compare private sector compensation with departments requiring a bachelors degree. And, more are doing it. Even small towns.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2020, 08:16 AM

17,752 posts, read 9,208,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by independent man View Post
Who knew a a six year police person is sleepy North Kingstown, Rhode island had such a salary & benefits. Perhaps everybody but me. Obviously you knew, if you're not surprised. Not that he or she doesn't deserve it, just wouldn't have guessed it.
I didn't know but I wasn't surprised by the amount.

I was, however, very surprised at some of the numbers thrown around on the Massachusetts board when police salaries were discussed. Much, much higher...but I think that was for State Police.

Old 06-13-2020, 08:30 AM

7,817 posts, read 2,902,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastwalk444 View Post
Since when is prejudice OK?

Since the Democrats started practicing it.

They are the "Do as I say, not as I do" Party.

Old 06-13-2020, 08:42 AM

4,231 posts, read 1,677,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by independent man View Post
Interesting. You approach local police pay & benefits like I do that for our military/veteran men & women. No unions to take up their cause. Just lots of meaningless political lip service & flags.
No, my feelings are the same for the military. All you had to do was ask. I have the courage of my convictions and Ill answer any reasonable direct question. For such a smart guy, I don't understand why you're so evasive. A man afraid to make enemies, will never make any friends.

Old 06-13-2020, 09:57 PM

4,407 posts, read 3,198,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
Don't assume that just because it's "sleepy" North Kingstown, that nothing goes down there. Case in point, this possible gang related shooting last year:

https://www.wpri.com/news/local-news...-1-in-custody/

Suburbs have much of the same issues as everywhere else, that you often don't hear about because it tends to happen behind closed doors. Who do you think is responding to a bloody domestic or fiery crash on the highway in the middle of the night while you are safe sound asleep at home? Mass shootings can happen anywhere, most of the bigger school shootings have occurred in similar affluent bedroom communities. How much do you honestly expect them to get paid? $10 an hour no benefits for a job where every day they head out to work they don't know if they are coming home that day???
None of us can know that. As per your example of the fiery car crash, school shootings, and all the other horrors that could fell us at any time. But police are compensated well and have unlimited opportunities for overtime and paid education, and usually retire early.

I just wish your feelings re salary were as generous as those making minimum wage, instead you incorrectly argued that it was never meant to be a living wage.

The people making the least were the true heroes of this pandemic.

Old 06-13-2020, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RhodyRepub View Post
Since the Democrats started practicing it.

They are the "Do as I say, not as I do" Party.
I wish you'd quit it with the politics, but now I must remind you that the "prejudice" fast walk was referring to was the discontinuation of a donut discount. It had nothing to do with a political party.

And if THAT truly qualifies as prejudice to you, what do you call it when you don't offer a discount to the rest of your customers because they don't wear the right uniform to work? Could that be prejudice?

Or when police search black drivers in traffic stops twice as often as white drivers? Or when they kill unarmed black men in greater proportions than white men?

But yup..that donut discount....rage! Cops donuts matter.

Old 06-13-2020, 11:48 PM

Interestingly, I just read a list of the most dangerous jobs in the US. You might want to save those donut discounts for fishermen, loggers, agricultural or construction workers. And those farm workers make peanuts

https://www.ishn.com/articles/110496...-us-the-top-20

Old 06-14-2020, 04:19 AM

17,752 posts, read 9,208,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsonik View Post
Interestingly, I just read a list of the most dangerous jobs in the US. You might want to save those donut discounts for fishermen, loggers, agricultural or construction workers. And those farm workers make peanuts

You are missing the point. They aren't given discounts because their jobs are dangerous. They are given discounts because they are putting their lives on the line to protect others.

Old 06-14-2020, 04:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsonik View Post
What, small town police person never made the most dangerous job list?

Old 06-14-2020, 04:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redplum33 View Post
You are missing the point. They aren't given discounts because their jobs are dangerous. They are given discounts because they are putting their lives on the line to protect others.
There are degrees of danger in every physical job. Compensation should have some relationship to that degree of danger, but don't forget the level of skill, education & training required. And, in any instance, who knows the real reason a business may give a police discount? It may be the same reasoning as people who display FOP badges or donation stickers prominently on their license plates.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island